The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Astrogation Difficulty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Astrogation Difficulty Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
The main thing is the approach. Most players assume the navcomputer is plotting a whole course for them. It doesn't and this is reflected in travel times. It just goes to waypoints, the pilot plots the course by deciding the waypoints.

In the preceding discussion about my system, I am using the word 'waypoint' in a slightly different way to the way that you are, but I think we are mostly on the same page in terms of a networked understanding of routes/flight paths.

What probably also creates different understandings is how we choose to abstract our understanding of how the space travel system works.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the number of waypoints in a route is directly related to the route's difficulty number. A route that has to travel an arc or some other non-linear path would, by definition, be more difficult than a simple Point A to Point B.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Perhaps the number of waypoints in a route is directly related to the route's difficulty number. A route that has to travel an arc or some other non-linear path would, by definition, be more difficult than a simple Point A to Point B.

The way I treat waypoints (which is different from vanir's) is in order to break up paths into manageable portions. Because I can't have my system tell me how many twists and turns there are in a particular path, I simply derive difficulty from travel time. The farther/longer one travels, the more difficult it becomes to do so. A waypoint allows you to drop out of hyperspace and recalibrate your exact location and plot the next leg along the total path.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Now that I am writing this, I think it would actually be useful to have astrogation mishaps of a different natures. The ones listed in the book are of mechanical failure, unknown object, or mynocs, rather than judgement failure. An Astrogation failure would be to allow the computer to plot a route through pirate-infested space, where it is more likely for Pirates to pull you out of hyperspace with a gravity well. The nav computer wouldn't know about pirates, whereas a skilled astrogator would.

I consider the Knoweldge skill Planetary Systems could be how an astrogator would know about the pirates. The skill represents both official geographical knowledge of inhabited systems and also rumors and heresay. (But in my game, Astrogation is an advanced skill with Planetary Systems at a certain level as one of the prerequisites.) Streetwise could also provide knowledge of the pirates, and Starship Tactics could also help with plotting a route based on pirate tactics. These skills may provide modifers to the Astrogation roll, but I agree that it is still Astrogation itself that would be primary for plotting a better or worse route avoid the pirates.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I understand that this whole exercise is about adjusting the RAW, which is, perhaps, a little too simple, but I'm not interested in bringing EVERYTHING together into a really complex whole.

My aim is to create an automatic target number generation system, allowing for the RAW factors of astrogation, coupled with just an extra factor to have it make sense over long runs (ie. the waypoints).

I would like to offer an automatic dice-roller, working with the probabilities that have already been discussed.

Now, I do like the idea of more mishaps in an automatic table that comes up in case an astrogation mishap does occur. I'll use the RAW table items, but I would like some others besides, including ones that have color, but not too much game impact.

Would you guys care to suggest some?
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Inverse really, if you plot a good set of waypoints the total journey would be easy.

Here's what raises the difficulty. You don't plot a series of waypoints. You just go, I'm at tattooine and I want to go to kuat, enter kuat in the navcomputer, off I go.
It will take the most simple path, but as you approach anomolies, dangerous regions, clusters and so forth, it will react en routé as if in an emergency.
So the longer the distance that you're just saying, let's go there, the higher astrogation difficulty, because at some point the emergency avoidance system is going to fail or cut it too close and hell, you didn't plan the routé, it's not like you did anything to help.

But if you plan the routé, enter a series of waypoints, from tatooine add denon, rendili, balmorra, kuat. Use the average of the modifiers for each trip, then roll to perform it as one trip. You won't be exiting hyperspace between tatooine and kuat unless you want to, you'd decide before entering hyperspace.

That's how you'd do it in a modern jet fighter. Exactly like that, except it's not hyperdrive, it's your normal cruising condition (different from the combat settings obviously, so analoguous to hyperspace travel).

So the longer the journey in physical distance, higher the difficulty because more in between.
The more waypoints, the lower the difficulty for the total journey, which is performed as a single journey or broken up at pilot choice when entering it all in the navcomputer.

This also allows precise predictions of fuel consumption, ammo/equip requirements, things like that.

In game terms what this does is it makes it very obvious and in some cases prohibitive, the difference between a limited navcomputer, an astromech and a full navcomputer.
It makes real world in game differences to the Players, what kind of navcomputer they've got. It really works well in game.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Inverse really, if you plot a good set of waypoints the total journey would be easy.

I agree with this up to an extent. I agree that the geometric shortest distance between two points is not the simplest/easiest route to take. However, I think that nav computers take this into account - at least, mine does Smile

Where your real-world analogy comes from is the military's navigation system; mine is regular old GPS devices.

Where I feel the astrogation skill comes in is knowing what the failures of the computer are and correcting for them. Like our GPS devices don't know about traffic, road-work or weather conditions, nav computers don't know about pirates or very recent supernovas, or what have you (if you can think of these sorts of things, please suggest them). Astrogation skill is about knowing about the things that nav computers don't and correcting for them.

Also, there's the understanding that in hyperspace there are factors that slightly move your ship away from where the nav computer thinks you are. The longer you're in hyperspace, the further you drift off from your estimated location. That's generally fine for short trips, but it adds up the longer you go.

The thing I would model for in the difficulty is the PC's choice of managing risk. Do they want to go fast or do they want to go safe. They can manage two variables in order to regulate these things: safety margins and the amount of waypoints.

The safety margins are about the distance the nav computer plots between your flight path and where it estimates objects to be. Because the nav data is only so accurate, the safety margins are about giving those objects a wide distance or a smaller distance. The wider the distance, the safer you are, but also the further you go from the fastest possible route.

The waypoints are about dropping out of hyperspace to re-calibrate your location and correct for drift. If you're in a system, that's easier for your sensors and nav computer to do than if you're off away from a system. At that point, you're also trading time for safety. In a system, you can calibrate your location faster, but you also run greater risk of running into pirates or authorities. Away from a system, you're safer from those threats, but it takes longer to figure our your location.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise in data handling terms you've just assigned an AI capability to the navcomputer to freely assign and reassign waypoints as mid course adjustments?

I mean a jet multimode can do this, but it's all governed by the pilot, there's no AI (in game terms a limited navcomputer with 4 jumps, 2 are used but the pilot has manual charts and enters more en routé).

And even in SWRPG if you've AI it's supposed to be an astromech, not a shipboard navcomputer.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
You do realise in data handling terms you've just assigned an AI capability to the navcomputer to freely assign and reassign waypoints as mid course adjustments?

No, I am not talking about a system that makes mid-course adjustments, where 'adjustment' means 'a decision to do something different than what was planned because of previously unknown information'. It just knows how to plot a route around known obstacles along a path between two places. In that sense, the nav computer just employs an algorithm to do that.

Yes, it is an autopilot in that it makes course corrections to avoid the known obstacles that it knew would be along the path. If new sensor information that is potentially hazardous to the ship comes along, it automatically drops out of lightspeed so that the pilot can decide what to do with the new information.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then what you're talking about, the inverse is that you're plotting a whole series of waypoints into one astrogation jump and just referring to it as "giving obstacles more/less of a berth"

and I'm saying on a limited navcomputer each one takes up one of the preprogrammed set of hyperspace coordinates.

that was basically the whole point of what I was getting at originally, which we seem to repeatedly lose somehow. Either you're saying the navcomputer plots meandering paths (whether reactively or by AI) or the pilot does, but you can't have the alternate every time I adopt one or the other, you kind of have to settle on one or the other.
Both are unrealistic or have an issue, that is to say I'm quite sure I've been mentioning a logical fallacy unless the waypoint system in common with real world navigational networks is used.

Which is just a breakdown of normal logical procedure. Draw a line of where you want to go, meandering as you want. Get a ruler and make it into a composition of direct paths and course changes. Every one is a waypoint. That's what you have to enter into the flight computer.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
Both are unrealistic or have an issue, that is to say I'm quite sure I've been mentioning a logical fallacy unless the waypoint system in common with real world navigational networks is used.

I think we're talking past one another.

If you're presuming logical fallacy on my part, then either 1) I actually am committing a logical fallacy, or 2) you are misunderstanding me.

I hope that you would entertain that 2 is a possibility before you decide that 1 is the case.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right, I didn't mean to seem impatient.

What I'm trying to do is breakdown the systems used, to extrapolate them rather than redefine them in a different way, using any logical guideline irrespective of convenience of which I can imagine.

I should understand that indeed you are doing quite the same thing.
The real difference is you've a GM tool in mind which is admirable and difficult, it brings about its own challenges and I've simply Player banter in mind during round by round RP.

I've by far the easier task simply sitting here and throwing anything in the air I feel like. Sorry about that Embarassed
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
Sorry about that Embarassed

's cool. I will also admit to being impatient. I've been wrapping my brain around astrogation in the SWU in a way that draws heavily on the existing literature (mostly TEA) and which makes sense to me. When I am discussing this with someone, like yourself or atgxtg, I am not always certain if someone is misunderstanding me or trying to point out a glaring mistake in my way of thinking.

Given the amount of work I have already put in, I get a bit defensive, and this may make me seem hostile. I don't mean to do that.

vanir wrote:
What I'm trying to do is breakdown the systems used, to extrapolate them rather than redefine them in a different way, using any logical guideline irrespective of convenience of which I can imagine.

I will happily use names and concepts from already-existing navigational paradigms. I'm not wedded to using the word 'waypoint' to represent the concept that I am using it as. 'Rest stop' just sounds kind of trite and 'recalibration point' is just too long a word, methinks.

So what would you call a point along one's route of travel where you exit lightspeed to let your nav computer recalibrate the ship's precise location?

The more I read about the word 'waypoint', however, the more I think I have been using it sufficiently correctly. According to Wikipedia (for what it's worth), waypoints were traditionally places with distinctive features which helped navigators get their bearings. With the onset of GPS technology, the term has taken on a new level of abstraction, as it has become divorced from physical features and, instead, has become a precise location according to the grid of longitude and latitude.

In that sense, the way I am using the term is not too much of a permutation. It is certainly less of a permutation than it was from 'a place with a physical feature to help one get one's bearings' to 'a point that is identifiable by a GPS system'.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find to maintain consistency with advancing navigational systems in use, one should approach it from a more processing descript than topical one.

Waypoints really describes how the computer is using information. You want to come at it like a computer and not like a book.

The way I use the term is relative to any time I know in a modern fighter jet in the real world I have to enter a new set of navigational coordinates to get where I am going whilst avoiding danger and obstacles. I do it using a numpad typically next to the HDD or engine panel.
In other words the flight computer doesn't plot safe paths, I do using waypoints.

Any alternative contention means one of two things: the navcomputer is plotting waypoints using AI, or I am relying on the collision avoidance system to alter course as necessary on a linear path I have plotted. Jets can have these features and do to a limited extent, the F/A-18 will right itself if the pilot G-locs and engage its own limited-AI autopilot, using the terrain-hugging software so I mean it flies really well.

Either the craft goes in a dead straight line, or you enter a waypoint to bend that line, or the computer does, or the emergency protocols do so reactively. You can't have it more than one way, you have to pick one way that it works and make that your house rule.
It affects the way limited navcomputers work and that's where it becomes very important in gameplay.

You can't say that you only plan one jump and the computer puts in a curvy flight plan, because you're saying this, and you've been repeating this several times throughout the thread, no offence:
"the pilot doesn't need to plot waypoints, the navcomputer plots waypoints without using waypoints."

it doesn't make any sense.

a waypoint is every time a line isn't straight. that's what one is. instead of making a long parabolic curve which flight computers don't like and neither does physics, what you do is select, by navigator training common to flight crews, a parabolic apex, you straighten up the flight path to lines and turns, then you call the turn a waypoint and you mark it on a flight plan. The tower will allocate legs of the flightplan as corridors to give you that parabolic back in real world physics, but makes it all compatable with computers.
then when you sit in the plane on the runway, you have to punch numbers into a numpad. It has to match the flightplan you handed the tower before you could get permission to fly that day.
The flight computer just goes to the waypoints, one by one. It doesn't know what a course is, and it won't stop at any of them unless you take over the controls.
It just follows it like...a flight plan.

What I'm saying is the smartest approach for SWRPG is to use this for hyperspace navigation, and not at all for normal flight.
Just treat normal space flight as free roaming. If you have waypoints they're completely under pilot active control input and conscious round by round gameplay, and can be marked on a hex space map with counters as selected. They don't need to be entered into a flight computer, the equivalent is to just say to the astromech to fly the craft to point B.

But in hyperspace navigation, using the normal flight navigation system of military craft (NATO in particular) you have a very analoguous system that extrapolates the nature of varous avionics and astromech very nicely.
It confirms class and type starship capabilities.

If it helps I believe the strictest military definition of a course waypoint is each location in which you can specifically predict a time of arrival that any aircraft in the flight should be able to match, on average modified by elapsed time of the stream and any circumstantial alterations like weather (both will be automatically compensated by a flight computer).

In other words is a waypoint is every time you turn on a mission, with a stipulation that you should be able to look around your aircraft and see your squardon mates, or something is seriously wrong and you need to get on the radio.
What you've been calling waypoints are staging areas (in theatre) or rendezvous (out of theatre).
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
You can't say that you only plan one jump and the computer puts in a curvy flight plan, because you're saying this, and you've been repeating this several times throughout the thread, no offence:
"the pilot doesn't need to plot waypoints, the navcomputer plots waypoints without using waypoints."

it doesn't make any sense.

Despite your use of quotation marks, I don't think you are actually quoting me, nor are you paraphrasing what I have meant to say. And, as I have been at pains to explain, I am using the term 'waypoint' in a different way than you are. I don't care if my usage of the term is archaic or completely off the Funk & Wagnalls. The only meaning I have for the term 'waypoint' is a place where the ship leaves lightspeed in order to recalculate the next leg of a journey.

If you've been following the discussion from the beginning of the thread, you'll have read that the game-mechanics reason for this is to break up very long trips into manageable parts. This is because if you're hauling all the way from Tatooine to Coruscant, according to the 'nav computer' on my website, you're going to have to roll a difficulty of (160/2=) 80, which is fairly impossible for anyone with a normal skill level. If you break up those 160 hours into, say, 10 legs, then you have to make 10 rolls at difficulty 8, which is far easier than 1 roll at 80. A journey with 10 legs has an origin, a destination, and nine 'waypoints' in between. That's my game-mechanics need for a term, for which I have chosen to use the word 'waypoint'.

The reason I use the word 'waypoint' to signify the in-game excuse for the stop that breaks up two legs is because it is a place where the nav computer can recalibrate the ship's precise location. I figure that during the leg of the journey, she ship may have drifted off it's calculated location because there's a gravitational tug here or there, or the ship's dampers aren’t aligned just right, or whatever. Anyway, there's a need for the ship to figure out where it's precisely located - ergo, waypoint.

Along any leg, be it just between two systems or along a multi-system route, there's going to be a lot of stuff for the ship to avoid colliding with. There's too much for the pilot to be aware of, so he lets the nav computer plot the route - which is intelligent only insofar as it is able to calculate the fastest route that prevents collisions with known objects or travel through parts of space for which there is insufficient data.

If you want to call that AI, that's fine. I don't call it AI because it does not not exhibit any of Nikola Kasabov's seven conditions for being an intelligent agent. I consider it a fairly simply algorithm that plots a shortest-path around obstacles based on a set of data.

Once the route has been plotted, the autopilot executes the "curvy" flight path to the destination (or next waypoint) while the pilot is playing holochess with his Wookiee co-pilot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: