The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Torpedo Sphere Re-Write
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Torpedo Sphere Re-Write Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Begun, The HeadCanon Retcon, Has... Reply with quote

" This Monstrosity, I Like IT! ANOTHER! "
-Moff 'Steelfist' Tarkin, prior to raising his fist, breaking a random Lt.'s jaw...

i've long considered doing something more with the torpedo sphere, & i think this is it! Considering this is the "all the extras" version, i think bumping its speed to Space: 3 is justified. I imagine it was an alternative superweapon the CIS was working on because they couldn't build the Death Star fast enough. But the CW ended before it could be completed...
Cost: Trillions of credits. Not available for sale.

Here's some silly fluff i gave in response to Generation Tech's GALACTIC EMPIRE VS EARTH? How We Would Fight (PART 1) vid;

Admiral Nella Eix, 66th Fleet
1 Prototype Battle Station (diameter 6km, lots of Capital & anti-starfighter turbolasers & ion cannons, concussion & proton missiles, tractor beams galore...)
1 Torpedo Sphere (L 1,900 meters & full of FUN!!!)
1 Imperator-class Star Destroyers
3 Tector-class Star Destroyers
7 Venator-class Star Destroyers
4 Victory-class Star Destroyers
11 Gladiator-class Star Destroyers
14 Acclamator-class Assault Ships
15 Imperial Star Frigates (L 350m pocket Star Destroyers)
19 Arquitens-class Light Cruisers
35 Arquitens-class Command Cruisers
53 Pelta-class Frigates
68 Corvettes
150 Gunships
211 CR20 Republic/Troop Carriers
341 CR25 Troop Carriers
9,999 Gozanti Cruisers

DEEP SPACE, OUTER RIM TERRITORIES, 15 BBY

Having recently obliterated an armada of Separatist Holdouts, the 66th Fleet was headed coreward to refuel & resupply, while other Imperial services seize & inventory the Seps' assets. Detecting a faint energy signature at the edge of sensor range, Admiral Eix sends a trio of Probe Droids to investigate.
The Probe Droids encounter a dying space probe, without any defensive systems, exiting the debris cloud that surrounds the nearby star system. The Probe Droids easily slice into the primitive probe's datacore & download everything & relays it back to the command ship.
After making a brief report to Stockwell Sector Naval HQ, Admiral Eix takes the 66th Fleet in, collecting the Probe Droids & the primitive probe...

Admiral Eix has the overpopulated world's hundreds of petty governments' complete capitulation in only six hours.
When the North Kornean dictator mocked the Admiral's "moral fibre, backbone & face" he sent the Torpedo Sphere to turn the dictator's palace & entire capitol city into a parking space for the Imperial Control Sphere that would eventually arrive.
When the Russians fired the 1st wave of 420 nukes, the 66th Fleet used tractor beams to destroy them.
When the Russians fired their 2nd wave of 1,000+ nukes, Admiral Eix went from amused to annoyed, then retaliated by ordering the ECM/ECCM techs to commandeer the nukes & send them to the Russian capitol of Moss'Cow.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
A while back, i created a new missile, that causes gravity waves, in the crust of a planet, creating a minor earth quake. The more missiles that hit, the BIGGER of an earth quake you can create... Sounds like we're thinking of the same thing.

That seems axiomatic generally, in that the more energy you hit something with, the greater the damage. I did reread the earthquake missile discussion above, and while it seems a logical addition to the arsenal for normal (i.e. unshielded) planetary bombardment, if you’re attacking a planetary shield generator while the shield is up, missiles won’t work. You need something that can go “around” the shield. Thus, the Planetbuster.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Begun, The HeadCanon Retcon, Has... Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Considering this is the "all the extras" version, i think bumping its speed to Space: 3 is justified.

I disagree; this is a Dedicated Siege Platform, designed entirely around attacking shielded planets. It’s not a fleet combatant, and its “non-bombardment” weapons are purely defensive in nature. It’s designed to attack things that can’t run away or dodge, and any increase in speed will cut into other systems crucial to its primary mission. It does not need to be faster.

Quote:
I imagine it was an alternative superweapon the CIS was working on because they couldn't build the Death Star fast enough.

The background is clear that this is a siege weapon developed by the Empire post-Clone Wars. The CIS was not directly involved.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Begun, The HeadCanon Retcon, Has... Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
I imagine it was an alternative superweapon the CIS was working on because they couldn't build the Death Star fast enough.

The background is clear that this is a siege weapon developed by the Empire post-Clone Wars. The CIS was not directly involved.

Not only that, but even if the Death Star could have been built faster, it was never intended for the CIS to use. And we can't even say that the CIS had some alternative superweapon to justify the Death Star for the Republic use, because it remained a top secret project in the Empire. The Death Star was clearly never intended to have or need justification or galactic support, because its mere existence was meant to facilitate the Emperor ruling completely through fear, with no need for any semblance of democracy (why the Senate was not disbanded until the Death Star was operational).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Death Star was clearly never intended to have or need justification or galactic support, because its mere existence was meant to facilitate the Emperor ruling completely through fear, with no need for any semblance of democracy (why the Senate was not disbanded until the Death Star was operational).

This is a great realization.

"Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."

For me - I also think that the torpedo sphere was also done as a proof of concept and engineering prototype and testing ground. "can we make a power distribution system that large, repulsors on that scale etc.".

Sure there had been large scale projects over time - but the engineers who had to build the death star - might have wanted it.

Or at least that was my first thought - as at the time (ancient history now) I was an enginnering major and electrical tech going to school when I was playing d6 back in the day and got that module.....
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the gravity weapon also perhaps have some sort of interdiction properties?

Preventing ships fleeing to hyperspace to get reinforcements or something?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Whill wrote:
The Death Star was clearly never intended to have or need justification or galactic support, because its mere existence was meant to facilitate the Emperor ruling completely through fear, with no need for any semblance of democracy (why the Senate was not disbanded until the Death Star was operational).

This is a great realization.

"Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."

That was right there in 1977. The PT only further supports this.

pakman wrote:
For me - I also think that the torpedo sphere was also done as a proof of concept and engineering prototype and testing ground. "can we make a power distribution system that large, repulsors on that scale etc.".

Sure there had been large scale projects over time - but the engineers who had to build the death star - might have wanted it.

Or at least that was my first thought - as at the time (ancient history now) I was an enginnering major and electrical tech going to school when I was playing d6 back in the day and got that module.....

The Death Star plans (at least the design of the superlaser and the outer battle station structure) predate the Clone Wars, while torpedo spheres are Imperial.

In canon, it's been stated that the Republic special weapons group proposed a design for a torpedo siege platform but it was rejected due to pacifist views and lack of funding. Then Torpedo Spheres were known to show up in service of the Empire a few years before Yavin.

Perhaps torpedo spheres and the Death Stars both in part had their beginnings in those rejected Republic siege platform designs. If torpedo spheres were early Empire, I supposed they could have been made as proofs of concept for the construction process of larger battle stations.

Death Star Side note: There is at least a literary connection between the Death Stars and the Lucrehulk-class battleship. Ani
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Would the gravity weapon also perhaps have some sort of interdiction properties?

Preventing ships fleeing to hyperspace to get reinforcements or something?

Why? That’s what Interdictors are for. This is a specialized planetary attack platform. Interdiction capability takes away from that and diminishes its primary mission.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Torpedo Sphere Re-Write Reply with quote

More as an unintended offshoot or a side effect of being developed from interdiction technology.

Something like when the Two-Wave Grav Shock Device is powered up ships within [x] range cannot enter hyperspace. Though I suppose if the Two-Wave Grav Shock Device is powered up then most ships would be within the targeted planet's hyperspace shadow anyway so it probably makes no difference.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a timely post for my games, as thete is a torpedo sphere with a two-way gravshock device being constructed as a secret weapons development project... nice work.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Torpedo Sphere Re-Write Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
More as an unintended offshoot or a side effect of being developed from interdiction technology.

It’s possible, but I’d prefer to focus on the Grav Shock’s primary function at the moment.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which book shows the info on those gravshock devices??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which book shows the info on those gravshock devices??

It’s in the ImpSB, in the Special Projects Chapter, along with the Cloaking Device and the Orbital Nightcloak.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to go back and re-read that section.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has been the most intriguing section of the ISB to me from the very start. I reread that little section on the two-way gravshock device more times than I recall. And while I was interested in game mechanics, you are correct that it should strictly be a plot and storyline device. I like the stats provided for the remained torpedo sphere, however, as it addresses my concerns about the extreme vulnerabilities of the original.

I also noticed that this thread started almost 10 years ago so it is not new, just newly revisited. Thanks for brining it back to the top!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: