The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Yuzzum and Yuzzem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Yuzzum and Yuzzem
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Yuzzum and Yuzzem Reply with quote

While researching Yuzzem for upcoming adventures, I stumbled upon something interesting. The EU has two different species that are spelled almost exactly alike. To further complicate matters, there are mistakes where one kind is referenced when they meant the other, and both are similar (in that they're both furry, mammalian, and tall).

In the past, I was familiar with the Yuzzum from the Star Wars CCG. These little guys are cute and furry and are native to the forest moon of Endor (the one we saw in the movies was Joh Yowza, the little guy singing in Jabba's Palace (RotJ Special Edition).

However, in a list of races from my Geonosis and the Outer Rim (d20) book (which I'm getting the upcoming story idea from), it lists durable, furry species like Talz, Whiphids, and Yuzzum. But even though they wrote "Yuzzum", they meant "Yuzzem", it appears. Yuzzem are the species from Splinter of the Mind's Eye (the first novel about something other than the movies), and I recently came across some examples of these big beasts in a box full of SW miniatures.

To further complicate matters, both are listed as quite large (around 2.5 meters), though I think the ones from Endor (the Yuzzum) get that by having really long, skinny legs.

In short, it appears that there was probably supposed to be a single race, but due to mistakes over the years I think they ended up getting split into two different ones.

Wookieepedia entries:

Yuzzem

Yuzzum
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuzzems predate ESB. Alan Dean Foster ghost wrote the ANH novel and Lucas green lit Splinter of the Mind's Eye before ESB was even proposed.

Yuzzums come from the Ewok tv show. From the way they are first used they could have been the same creature but it quickly became obvious that Yuzzems were fearsome predators that rivaled Wookiees in strength and exceeded them in ferocity. Yuzzums, however, became a bit of a joke species.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yuzzum from Endor were based preliminary sketches for Ewoks, which were used in the 80s Ewoks cartoons, and then Lucas thought it would be funny to put one in RotJ so we got the Jabba's palace singer starting with the Special Edition version of the film.

Why they have a species name so similar to the species in SotME, I have no idea.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Yuzzum from Endor were based preliminary sketches for Ewoks, which were used in the 80s Ewoks cartoons, and then Lucas thought it would be funny to put one in RotJ so we got the Jabba's palace singer starting with the Special Edition version of the film.

Basically, last generation's Lasat. Wink

Hard core OT, all the way!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuzzum stats can be found in Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook Special Edition p.107. Yuzzem are found in Ultimate Alien Anthology p.193-194.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: