The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Wealth of a Character?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> The Wealth of a Character? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: The Wealth of a Character? Reply with quote

Okay guys - I have questions.

Does anyone have or know of guidelines for how much wealth a player should/could accumulate?

I know there has to be guidlines based on adventure settings - but I do not have access to very many of these.

So this is a callout to those ppl who do have those books - what are the cp and monetary awards listed in such examples?

I'm fine if the rewards are even listed as ships or goods - just so long as I have some examples to go by. Those goods can be converted to a credit total, if necessary.

The goal is actually a set of example so to learn how much on average a player can be expected to earn over a certain amount of time/adventures/CP gain.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a wealth restriction/guide to how much a character could earn/receive/win etc..
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the adventure guides not set rewards for the players?

I would figure they would at least label what npcs have that the players run across or things they can use/take/steal during encounters or some such.

No listings for how much a bounty should rewards or how long it should take during an adventure setting?

.... without something like this - it does make you wonder just why the credit values for items are so all over the place. Wonder if they really cared about the idea of a players costs versus gain at all within their system.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen any numbers on that. What I have seen is GMs using a number of different methods to give characters a plot hook for the money or gear they have. There are the obvious (owing credits out the wazoo for the modified tramp freighter they have, being in debt to a crime boss, loan shark, or the like) of course, but there are also GMs who will allow PCs to possess a certain amount of wealth based on a truly detailed (let alone plausible) backstory. I had one character in the very early post-Order 66, who had been a Jedi on a mission to deliver supplies (weapons, credits, foodstuffs and the like) to Ki Adi Mundi and his clone troopers. My character was in the air above the battlefield and saw the troopers turn on Mundi. My character was able to bust @$$ for space, and hightailed it outta there. He bounced around the galaxy for a while, depositing the credits into accounts all over under assumed names, stashing the weapons and other supplies in various caches as well. This was all pre-approved with the GM, with the understanding that the party would, occasionally, be able to go to a location and retrieve a cache, and that any time this happened, it would definitely be a plot hook, and we'd have to adventure to get it. This arrangement was a win-win, because the players had the opportunity to lay hands on creds and supplies if we needed to, and the GM had plot hooks ready to go any time we felt we needed to lay hands on more gear or cash.

Don't know if that helps or not, but the final answer (as with so many other issues and questions) is that this is YOUR game. You get to say how much money your players get, and get to choose how much leeway you're going to give them, for whatever reason. Just one of the joys (and responsibilities) of being the GM...
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the easiest way to get creds is to field strip enemies and then sell there equipment to either legal sources or even black market sources. The black market is always looking for things that is "specialized" to sell to its many sources and I assume that a suit of stromie armor is worth a few thousand creds while a stromie blaster is worth a few hundred on the market. Added that some enemies such as bounty hunters may have thermal detonators which cost 2000 creds can be sold for around 1500 creds. The real problem is if the wealth accumulates to fast, they can become targets. Just remember that if you buy the equipment for under the market price since the characters got the stuff for free and the sellers need to make a profit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While loot and sell is often used, how realistic is it to see a party haul arround 10+ suits of armor and weapon belts, without getting encumbered or searched at some point in time.
Also black markets may be a way to go selling the merchandise, but even they may balk at buying lots of storm trooper paraphernalia time and time again lest THEY get the heat from the empire.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that is true, the armor could be used like in a new hope, players put it on to stay hidden from stormies and after the mission sell it for profit. They don't need to keep it since as you said would be a dead giveaway but if a group of say 2 or 3 human characters get two or three suites and sells them, the market price would be around 5000 to 7500 creds minus a few thousand creds because of price drop for buying, it would still be around 3500 to 6000 credits.
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to sound slightly flippant about it, but this isn't D&D. Wealth doesn't determine character power level (and for that reason must be strictly regulated), since equipment doesn't really scale save weapons, armor, and vehicle modification. Players aren't exactly going to have access to a +5 Vorpal DL-44 of Sith-Slaying that, while typical of extremely high-end play, isn't going to break games if new characters have it. You can drop a suit of Dragon armor in a brand-new PC's lap, and chances are they'll get just as wrecked inside it than outside since they won't have sky-high dice pools to overcome armor penalties...or, for that matter, maintain the sucker.

In short, the character makes the equipment, not vice versa, so for that reason regulating character wealth isn't nearly the issue as in other RPG's.

Hell, in my SWD6 game my characters just absconded with a 114 million-credit IGBC slush fund. We've been playing just a year. I'm not very worried about it, since to even get to a point they can spend any of the money without every bounty hunter, Imperial, and treasure hunter in the galaxy coming down on their heads they're going to have to go through some serious crap...and neither is much of that going to be "blow on stupid potentially game-breaking crap" money, since they're going to be (in part) bankrolling the Rebel Alliance, their own cell, and a handful of other subordinate cells and Spec Ops mission groups.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience using the Wealth Stat from D6 Space?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodrim wrote:
I hate to sound slightly flippant about it, but this isn't D&D. Wealth doesn't determine character power level (and for that reason must be strictly regulated), since equipment doesn't really scale save weapons, armor, and vehicle modification. Players aren't exactly going to have access to a +5 Vorpal DL-44 of Sith-Slaying that, while typical of extremely high-end play, isn't going to break games if new characters have it. You can drop a suit of Dragon armor in a brand-new PC's lap, and chances are they'll get just as wrecked inside it than outside since they won't have sky-high dice pools to overcome armor penalties...or, for that matter, maintain the sucker.

In short, the character makes the equipment, not vice versa, so for that reason regulating character wealth isn't nearly the issue as in other RPG's.

You also have the fact armor and weapons in ADND only really have issues with being "destroyed" via item save rules, which kick in only if the character owning them fail their own save.
Where as in SW, as per the RAW, if the person wearing armor get's wounded, the armor takes a light damage (loses a pip of protection), incap gives heavy damage (-1d), being mortally wounded renders the armor useless till repair, while being killed should destroy the armor!

So technically when you kill troopers you shouldn't be having their armor to scavenge. Though taking out 2 troops one with a chest shot and one with a head shot, SHOULD be ok to net you one good suit.. just remove the damaged parts (destroyed parts) and replace with the good ones from the other set.

Same with weaponry, which unless otherwise specified has only 2d body to resist damage, hence why the 'blaster buster' is a good tool to render enemies weaponless.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I believe that stormtrooper armor is made out of 18 or so pieces so well placed shots could keep most of the armor good. But there is also the option to stun a lone stormtrooper or two and take the armor like in a New Hope.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is, why bother? In a story driven campaign, there shouldn't be time to loot. If anyone in my campaigns tried something like that, I'd tell them it takes five minutes to strip off one suit of armor and then send in heavy reenforcements in one minute.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the players I play with haven't had much experience with the star wars roleplaying game and they always say they never have enough money, so I just tell them the one of the easiest ways to make a little extra cash is to field strip bodies, like in other rpg.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Does anyone have experience using the Wealth Stat from D6 Space?

I've played a couple adventures. IMO, the Funds mechanic is ridiculous. Roll dice to determine if you can gather up enough money from your bank account, under the mattress, loans from friends or a bank, to acquire an item or service. Not everything an RPG should be random or variable. And this is just unrealistic. Being able to buy something is not so random.

Theodrim wrote:
I hate to sound slightly flippant about it, but this isn't D&D...

Amen, brother. I really hate the D&D mentality being applied to this wonderful adventurous space opera game.

crmcneill wrote:
My question is, why bother? In a story driven campaign, there shouldn't be time to loot. If anyone in my campaigns tried something like that, I'd tell them it takes five minutes to strip off one suit of armor and then send in heavy reenforcements in one minute.

Yes! That's what I'm talking about!

The Rebellion is extremely underfunded and resources are stretched thin. And for mercenary smugglers just trying to make their way in the universe, my strategy is, keep 'em poor. Hit it big on the last run? Great. Enjoy it while you can. You never know when you'll need a new hyperdrive, or those pirates are going to attack, or you are going to get caught by a customs agent who needs a huge bribe to let you go. The goal of acquiring wealth is a great way to drive the story, but the characters can't actually ever achieve immense wealth, at least not long-term or before the end of the campaign.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Alternately, each suit has a warning buzzer back to base with the ID of the trooper, so if they do get killed, or the armor is stripped, the base KNOWS who it was and where.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: