The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[1E] Falconer’s Newbie Questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> [1E] Falconer’s Newbie Questions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

Oh, dont worry about that. When it comes to the prequels, Im in the pretend they dont exist camp. Hope thats not considered inflammatory around here (is it?).

Laughing

...No, they love our kind around here. As fond of us as Wuher was of droids. Wink

Falconer wrote:
What timeframe do you set your games in? The rulebook suggests post Ep.IV, which I like, but Im curious what is popular.

And what is your approach to canon? Do you try to fit within the established timeline? Do you pick your starting point and create a divergent timeline from thenceforth? Is it just your Star Wars and it doesnt have to agree in ANY details with any canon source?

I prefer between Iv and Vi- but then, I'm in the apparent minority that prefers to use the WEG modules first, with my own writing supplementing only subplots or ongoing story elements on top of them. My ideal goal would involve running the majority of the published modules, reaching the ESB/ROTJ timeline and having the players participate in the large battles, and then continue into a Rise of the New Republic comes out. (Though getting a gaming group that lasts long enough to do so has proven... tricky.) I always start with the Introductory Adventure Set, followed by Isis Coordinates (repourposed as the sequel; Edan II is where the Handree and its supplies are headed), and then focus on seeding in adventures like Strike Force Shantipole and Tatooine Manhunt, so that when I get around to Otherspace, the returning NPCs are established.

In terms of continuity, it's straight-up EU (Legends, now), and will continue to be so no matter what Episode VII and new canon do. (There will be an Imperial remnant and a New Republic in my PCs' future, not a First Order and a Resistance; over twenty years of memorizing obscure planets and races and trivia from that continuity have to be useful for something! Wink).

For me, part of the fun is playing in the 'real' Star Wars universe (which, until just recently, the films and EU in combination were, to me). For me, creating a spin-off or divergent universe would being in a fan fiction, whereas setting in the actual continuity is more like the old What's The Story campaign- our little creations actually becoming a part of the 'real' Star Wars in a small way... a thread in the large tapestry of fictional history created by the ongoing, interwoven storylines. (And nowadays, also a way of keeping that beloved tapestry alive, even in the smallest of ways, while the rest of the franchise leaves it behind).

Anyhow, that's me, and that's why- the time period that encapsulates Star Wars for me, and in-continuity with what *was* the larger universe, because being a part of something larger was what made it exciting.

Falconer wrote:
Usually in my AD&D campaigns I have a large number of players but dont expect the full group at any given session. It works fine in AD&D under the session=expedition formula: each session starts and ends in town and only involves whatever players are present.

How can I make this work in a SW campaign? I have some ideas, but I want to hear from your experience.

I tend to run a second campaign (for instance, No Disintegration, the bounty hunter module) as a sort of alternate universe (which can be used to earn CP for the main game). Alternatively, if the player is agreeable, I work around it (the Gand suddenly falls into a healing trance; the droid PC has run out of power and shuts down. I'm actually just waking the droid back up in my session tonight). Last-resort is making the missing player's PC into an NPC (with the unspoken agreement to keep him as safe as possible)- but that is really only reserved for special occasions or long-term schedule conflict. And if it's more than once or twice, either writing the character out as a contractor who comes and goes, or writing them out of the story entirely, may be necessary. This can go hand-in-hand with assigning the group an NPC, which the only-every-now-and-again guy, or any guests that come to join, can take temporary control of when they are there for single sessions, without having to re-arrange the narrative for them.

Hard core OT, all the way!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

Oh, dont worry about that. When it comes to the prequels, Im in the pretend they dont exist camp. Hope thats not considered inflammatory around here (is it?).

I, too, am in the camp that is not fond of the Prequels. I am also not fond of everything created for the Post Episode VI timeline thus far. However, I do find bits and pieces I like in much of the Post 6 timeline - and there are a few elements in the prequels that fit with what I "knew" for the prehistory of Episode IV that I use, or borrow to fill in places I need just Information (for example, I like Grievous, I like Mace Windu so they make cameos when I run campaigns in that timeline...I use some of the seperatists ships and weapons when I need something to fill gaps or flesh out the setting - but basicly throw much of the storyline of Episodes I-II right out).

I have actually found that running a campaign before the Fall Of The Republic can be quite fun (and my last long running campaign in 2004-2008 was called Fall of the Republic). While it has been said "Jedi are super-heroes and unbalanced in the pre-empire setting" this is only true if you are trying to match Episodes I-III. Even then, a big Caveat should be that almost every Jedi seen is either a Master, or "The Chosen One". You don't see a lot of the Rank and file Jedi, except in scenes where they need to show a Jedi dying really. So starting a player off as an apprentice, with a Master, works quite well - then if your campaign builds to the war (as mine was) the Jedi character can pick up skill along the way and may have a shot at being one of those heroes by then (and the other PCs should have picked up enough CP and FP to be just as dangerous in their own fields...). This setting can lead to all sorts of adventures, such as Intrigue, Espionage, and of course good old fashioned Action.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
I prefer between Iv and Vi- but then, I'm in the apparent minority that prefers to use the WEG modules first, with my own writing supplementing only subplots or ongoing story elements on top of them. My ideal goal would involve running the majority of the published modules, reaching the ESB/ROTJ timeline and having the players participate in the large battles, and then continue into a Rise of the New Republic comes out. (Though getting a gaming group that lasts long enough to do so has proven... tricky.) I always start with the Introductory Adventure Set, followed by Isis Coordinates (repourposed as the sequel; Edan II is where the Handree and its supplies are headed), and then focus on seeding in adventures like Strike Force Shantipole and Tatooine Manhunt, so that when I get around to Otherspace, the returning NPCs are established

That sounds pretty cool to me! Once I started a campaign off with Tatooine Manhunt -> Strikeforce: Shantipole -> Starfall -> Crisis on Cloud City -> Riders of the Maelstrom, with each adventure leading directly into the next with cliffhanger endings like the Back to the Future movies (so the adventures were obviously tweaked for this purpose). Then after the fifth module, the PCs went to their first Rebel base, officially joined the Alliance, and had some down time.

I have a goal of using every single WEG SW RPG product I own before I die, and for it all to will take place in one ultimate campaign universe. I will run most of the published campaigns and adventures, although I will certainly make some changes as I see fit to some of them. There may be some I don't want to run, but I'm confident there will be something I can take out of every product to use for my campaign world. I enjoy using published material and devising my own adventures.

Despite not hating the prequels, I have never had any interest in running my game in that time period. I played this game for most of 11 years before TPM even came out. I prefer the classic time period as well, I guess because the SW RPG will always be about the Empire for me. Even the non-Rebel adventures/campaigns have the Empire as a setting, if not the primary antagonists. I have only ran my game in the time of the classic trilogy or within a couple years after RotJ. My next big campaign will take place in the few years leading up to ANH, which will be a first for me.

Falconer wrote:
When it comes to the prequels, Im in the pretend they dont exist camp. Hope thats not considered inflammatory around here (is it?).
Zarm R'keeg wrote:
No, they love our kind around here. As fond of us as Wuher was of droids.
KageRyu wrote:
I, too, am in the camp that is not fond of the Prequels.

Don't let Zarm fool you. Although the Rancor Pit membership as a whole has become slightly more balanced in recent years, prequel detractors are still in the majority here. Stating your unfavoring opinions about the prequels or any other aspects of the Star Wars franchise are perfectly acceptable here, and if you don't become overly negative about it then we won't call you out on it. I feel diversity in the fan base is a strength, and I am committed to the belief that we can all get along here in peace despite our differences.

However if you start ranting that D6 needs classes, levels and d20s, then we might have a problem. Wink
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Wed May 13, 2015 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...However if you start ranting that D6 needs classes, levels and d20s, then we might have a problem. Wink

But... but... doesn't it? Twisted Evil
Imagine if you will...
GM - I have replaced the D6 with D20 to make things easier to play. From now on we will be using D20's.
Player - So we roll 1D20 against our skill level or add our skill level?
GM - No, roll 1D20 for each skill level.
Player feints from math overload
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I have a goal of using every single WEG SW RPG product I own before I die, and for it all to will take place in one ultimate campaign universe.

Likewise! One day...

Hard core OT, all the way!
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay… my first session this Wednesday…

I own Tattoine Manhunt and the Introductory Adventure Game.

Please tell me which is better for me to run for my first session. I’m purely interested which would make a better adventure, not about the edition/rules vagaries.

I may be back with more questions this week… Thanks, guys!!
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally ran a game, almost a year later. Laughing

The players used the First Edition Core Rulebook to create their characters. The group consisted of a Gambler, a Minor Jedi, a Retired Imperial Captain, and a Tough Native (a Gotal).

I decided to run the Introductory Adventure Game. I ran the scouting mission with the Gambler (the first player to complete his character), and then ran the evacuation mission with the group. That’s as far as we got, but, for a quick “learning the mechanics” game, it was a perfect night. Everyone loved the Star Wars look-and-feel, and the rules and the scenario seemed to do the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: