The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

shards in droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> shards in droids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: shards in droids Reply with quote

Now I see droid body used when talking about shards and use of mechanical body. If that is the case the droid brain would be removed and the shard sit in its place or near by?

Wouldn't the shard need a piloting skill for the locomotion type the droid body had?

If the shard works with the droid brain in controlling the body could there not be conflicts?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shards in droids Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Now I see droid body used when talking about shards and use of mechanical body. If that is the case the droid brain would be removed and the shard sit in its place or near by?

I think the droid brain would still have to be there to directly control the droid body. But the Shard is there as a master control over the droid brain, through a special Shard-droid interface unit that also must be installed with the Shard.

Savar wrote:
Wouldn't the shard need a piloting skill for the locomotion type the droid body had?

As far as a special droid body piloting skill, I personally wouldn't nickel and dime it like that. The interface allows the Shard to perceive the world through senses of the droid, so I think the Shard just uses the normal skills that normal droids use. Running, Climbing/Jumping, etc. No roll of any skill needed to locomote normally at a slow speed in level terrain. If a droid has a repulsor unit, I rule that the droid controls itself with Repulsorlift Operation (or Mechanical), so it would be the same for a Shard-Droid symbiont. But again, no need to roll any skill for movement unless the situation warrants it.

Savar wrote:
If the shard works with the droid brain in controlling the body could there not be conflicts?

If something goes wrong with the Shard-droid interface, the Shard could fall back on its natural ability to act as a droid control wand to control the droid body providing it made the moderate Droid Programming rolls (and that is likely a skill the shard itself would have). But the question raises the issue of where does the Shard end and the droid begin? Although rare, Shards are said to be able to change droid bodies. If a droid body is destroyed but the Shard is saved, are the skill dice values transferred whole even though the new body may have different attributes? It's a good question.

I don't think Shard/droid-brain conflicts are specifically dealt with in the rules, but it certainly could make an interesting story. My idea for turning the Scout Droid PC template from GG8 into a Shard template was that something (bad) happened to the character. The Shard, Shard-droid interface and droid memory unit were damaged in such a way that the Shard was still alive but in the Shard equivalent of a coma, and the interface was damaged but still partially functioning such that the character still had access to all of its skills and abilities, but it forgot that it was a Shard-droid symbiont and now thinks it is just a droid. The template's written desire to track down the executives of the folded corporation it had worked for could be just the tip of the asteroid for the character's quest to find out who he really is and regaining his memories. I might have gotten that idea after watching the Bourne movies, lol.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to droid/shard relationships, the shard and the droid have a symbiotic relationship with both the minds of the shard and the droid becoming one. The shard would be put in a small cavity inside the droid to interface with it. And since the droids brain is still in place and the shard interfaces with the droids systems, it does not need any droid piloting skill.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, I was just reading the descriptions differently.

When i read droid body i assume the droid controller is gone.

So with a symbiotic relationship it would be shared skills also?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
I guess, I was just reading the descriptions differently.

When i read droid body i assume the droid controller is gone.

So with a symbiotic relationship it would be shared skills also?

I'd read it the same way you did. I'd never considered a symbiotic relationship before. I'll take another look at the supplement, though. It might be an interesting idea to run with.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good source is the essential guide to droids or similar title, you would have to look under the Iron Knight section but I assume some of the info is innate to all shards.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Shards in droids Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Savar wrote:

I think the droid brain would still have to be there to directly control the droid body. But the Shard is there as a master control over the droid brain, through a special Shard-droid interface unit that also must be installed with the Shard.

But what if it is a shared partnership? The Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy gave us Bollux and Blue Max; what about a sentient droid interfaced with an immobile Shard in a symbiotic partnership / friendship? I know you don't like the idea of Shards being Force Sensitive, but this would be one instance where it could prove very useful, as the Shard's Force Sensitivity could be its useful talent in place of Blue Max's hacker abilities...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shards in droids Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Savar wrote:

But what if it is a shared partnership? The Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy gave us Bollux and Blue Max; what about a sentient droid interfaced with an immobile Shard in a symbiotic partnership / friendship? I know you don't like the idea of Shards being Force Sensitive, but this would be one instance where it could prove very useful, as the Shard's Force Sensitivity could be its useful talent in place of Blue Max's hacker abilities...

Lol haven't seen Blue Max's stats, but a shard can be an great hacker.

Blue Max didn't control or share body use with Bollux.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could under certain circumstances; he simply lacked the internal power capacity to fully operate Bollux's body on his own.

But that is beside the point. Just because Shards traditionally operate droid bodies does not mean they couldn't be interfaced as a passenger inside a sentient droid.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Shards in droids Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Savar wrote:

But what if it is a shared partnership? The Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy gave us Bollux and Blue Max; what about a sentient droid interfaced with an immobile Shard in a symbiotic partnership / friendship?

Like I also said, it is an interesting consideration. Where does the droid end and the Shard begin? Does the Shard completely suppress the droid's personality while they are interfaced? Are they two distinct minds within a shared body? Or do they form a third combo-person when combined?

Game mechanically, it may not really matter much until you consider moving a Shard from one droid body to another. What part of the prior symbiosis goes with the Shard, and what part stays behind? A new droid body could have different Strength and Dexterity attributes, so how would that work with game balance and transferring skills?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way that I would run with that would be analogous to picking up a discipline or a sport you haven't played in 10 years. The Shard left a droid where many things were programed and thus intuitive and familiar. The new droid doesn't have that programming, but the shard remembers that it used to be intuitive and familiar, and must re-learn.

I fenced someone who hadn't fought in a good 7 years. Everything he did reeked of noob. But the next week he came back and he had knocked some of the rust off. With each passing month he came more and more into his old self. While he may have had as much noob as the rest of them when he began, he remembered much more quickly than the others learned.

I would allow the Shard to learn the skills of the "old droid" with the same speed and CP cost as though he were training under a teacher for those skills.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions are also how that affects starting chars. If the droids skills are still there with the mental attributes. There is a large balance issue.

If the droids mental is not there then it is just physical attributes and equipment bonuses to worry about.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. No question. The character could only access 18D in attributes and 7D in skills when starting out. If they want to monkey with that, then we'd have to come to an understanding of some very serious give-and-take aspects of the character.

I'm not having someone say, "Hey, I've got this idea for a cyborg character that's completely machine on the outside, but flesh and blood on the outside. And he's this super-sneaky Defel, but the droid is also pretty armored. Oh, and it's also got a Force-sensitive Shard on the inside, so he can throw stuff with the Force too."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has larger implications for droid characters, too. If a droid's body is too badly damaged to be repaired, its CPU could be transplanted into a new body. If so, would the droid have to relearn his physical skills or would the operation subroutines of his new body be part-and-parcel of the transplant?

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
This has larger implications for droid characters, too. If a droid's body is too badly damaged to be repaired, its CPU could be transplanted into a new body. If so, would the droid have to relearn his physical skills or would the operation subroutines of his new body be part-and-parcel of the transplant?

If it was the same model i would say no problem. Other wise i would base some time but not CP to getting used to the new chassis.

Barring physical customizations.

Thought about droid destroyed results for damage. Have a random roll to see if the brain as well as the body are destroyed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: