The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dedicated heavy bombers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Dedicated heavy bombers? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Dedicated heavy bombers? Reply with quote

I am looking for a Star Wars, dedicated heavy bomber similar to the WWII B17 or B29.
It's strange Star Wars seems to use aircraft as a basis for fighters and small freighters, but bases all else on aquatic. I find the lack of dedicated bombers odd because of the homage to WWI/WWII dogfighting.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess you mean something other than these bombers. I'm not a WWII or aircraft buff, but I've always thought that the Naboo Royal Cruiser from the beginning of AotC had a WWII bomber feel to its design, but I guess it was more inspired by the much more modern B-2 Stealth Bomber.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple homebrew options:

The Starfeld Z-15 Hunter-Class Starbomber - Based on the Z-10 Seeker, it's more like a B-1 than any of the slower, heavier bombers, but you posited that the same thing could be done to the Z-25 Questor, and the stats wouldn't be that hard to gin up...

The Skipray, particularly the GAT-12j, configured as a bomber.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So I guess you mean something other than these bombers. I'm not a WWII or aircraft buff, but I've always thought that the Naboo Royal Cruiser from the beginning of AotC had a WWII bomber feel to its design, but I guess it was more inspired by the much more modern B-2 Stealth Bomber.

The EU also had the Nubian Freefall-Class Bomber...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And technically the missile and gunboats can also sub in for dedicated bombers.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So I guess you mean something other than these bombers.

Indeed. Basically everything on that list is a one or two crew starfighter equipped to deliver ordnance, which, while technically a bomber, isn't in the same class as a big, space-transport-sized vessel capable of delivering a much larger amount of ordnance...

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
A couple homebrew options:

The Starfeld Z-15 Hunter-Class Starbomber - Based on the Z-10 Seeker, it's more like a B-1 than any of the slower, heavier bombers, but you posited that the same thing could be done to the Z-25 Questor, and the stats wouldn't be that hard to gin up...

The Skipray, particularly the GAT-12j, configured as a bomber.

I have not forgotten the Z-25 variant I mentioned. The Skipray is the closest to what I had in mind. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I homebrewed a few different ideas.
So far my list of criteria for a Long Range Heavy Bomber is:
-roughly the size of a light-medium freighter
-Hyperdrive capable.
-A main ordnance delivery system. Either multiple (20+) starfighter scale bombs or torpedos or 1-2 Cap scale bombs or torpedos.
-Multiple anti-starfighter weapons. Dorsal and ventral turrets, waist guns, tail gun & nose guns. Total of 5-7 gunners, including a bombardier.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
The Skipray is the closest to what I had in mind. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I homebrewed a few different ideas.
So far my list of criteria for a Long Range Heavy Bomber is:
-roughly the size of a light-medium freighter
-Hyperdrive capable.
-A main ordnance delivery system. Either multiple (20+) starfighter scale bombs or torpedos or 1-2 Cap scale bombs or torpedos.
-Multiple anti-starfighter weapons. Dorsal and ventral turrets, waist guns, tail gun & nose guns. Total of 5-7 gunners, including a bombardier.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could conceivably convert just about any of the existing stock light freighters into a bomber. A YT-1300 (depending on which of the multitude of available deck plans you use) could easily convert its cargo bay into a bomb bay, complete with a ventral ordnance launcher. On top of that, the design already allows for at least two turrets.

In addition, it offers a major advantage of anonymity, in that a YT-1300 outfitted as a starbomber looks much like every other YT-1300 until it starts spitting out ordnance.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the K-Wing? Crew of 4, including 2 gunners and a hefty weapons load. One might not do the trick, but a flight with overlapping fire arcs could fight their way into the target.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
What about the K-Wing? Crew of 4, including 2 gunners and a hefty weapons load. One might not do the trick, but a flight with overlapping fire arcs could fight their way into the target.

That is where my search ended, prompting this post. It is also a short range bomber, so that also provides a problem.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=K-wing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
You could conceivably convert just about any of the existing stock light freighters into a bomber. A YT-1300 (depending on which of the multitude of available deck plans you use) could easily convert its cargo bay into a bomb bay, complete with a ventral ordnance launcher. On top of that, the design already allows for at least two turrets.

In addition, it offers a major advantage of anonymity, in that a YT-1300 outfitted as a starbomber looks much like every other YT-1300 until it starts spitting out ordnance.

Visually, maybe. BUT it should ping like crazy on sensors with all that ordinance onboard.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Visually, maybe. BUT it should ping like crazy on sensors with all that ordinance onboard.

There are ways around that.

In The Far Orbit Project, there is a ship equipped with an ion shielded cargo bay which blocks sensor scans; this is considered SOP for transportation of ion engine parts to protect them from being damaged by stray radiation.

In addition, one of the rules I play with is that ordnance can be powered down until needed for combat, which greatly reduces its sensor signature compared to energy weaponry.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Pel wrote:

That is where my search ended, prompting this post. It is also a short range bomber, so that also provides a problem.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=K-wing

I agree. A K-Wing with a hyperdrive would be a monster of a carrier strike fighter. Now that I've wrapped my external pod rules for the advanced starfighter combat system, they're perfect for the K-Wing.

But yeah, a K-Wing is more like an A-6 Intruder than a heavy long-range bomber.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so using that very apt analogy, the Skipray is probably a B-25 or F-111. Use crmcneill's idea and customize a YT-2400 or Ghtroc freighter with retractable turrets, ion shielded compartments (or just shield the really cool equipment).

OR, and this may be the whiskey talking, gin up something completely new. If you want to play it safe and create an incognito bomber, pimp that freighter to your heart's content, or just make a purpose-built heavy bomber with the stats you want, give it a cool name, and post the results. There's got to be a demand for starfighter-scale strategic bombing somewhere in this huge galaxy of ours. It's worth mentioning that I originally wrote "pinpoint carpet bombing" in the previous sentence, but that seems silly even to me.

Anyway, grab the B-29 by the props and make it your own!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: