The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

House Rule regarding damage and damage resistance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> House Rule regarding damage and damage resistance Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: House Rule regarding damage and damage resistance Reply with quote

So, I swear I read this house rule somewhere, but I cannot recall where.

D6 Space changed damage for Strength-based attacks to being one-half your Lift die code... so someone with a 6D Lift would do 3D with a punch, or 3D+Weapon Damage with a weapon.

However, I could've sworn that there was a similar rule, somewhere, changing Damage Resistance to being based on your Stamina die code... so one could increase your damage resistance by improving a skill. The version I recall also reduced Damage Resistance to half of your Stamina code.

Anyone know the source of this? Or is it just something we came up with and later ascribed to having read it somewhere?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: House Rule regarding damage resistance Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, MrNexx!

MrNexx wrote:
I could've sworn that there was a similar rule, somewhere, changing Damage Resistance to being based on your Stamina die code... so one could increase your damage resistance by improving a skill. The version I recall also reduced Damage Resistance to half of your Stamina code.

Anyone know the source of this? Or is it just something we came up with and later ascribed to having read it somewhere?

I recall reading somewhere, perhaps this forum, the suggestion that damage resistance be a skill (whether it be stamina or another skill). IIRC it was an unpopular idea due to the fact that if damage resistance is a skill, any character can become a "bullet-proof Wookiee". I agree that damage resistance is so valuable to the game that it should cost more than skills cost, meaning that while it is tied on an attribute, you pay for it during character generation in attribute allocation (beefing up your Strength takes away from other attributes).

I have a house rule of a very short list of low-powered advantages that can be purchased for one skill die during character generation (things that can't be accomplished by raising skills alone), and one of these is "Toughness" which give the character +1 pip to damage resistance. I'm still not sure that one skill die is even worth one extra pip of damage resistance, but it's only one pip and will never be game-breaking. I just wanted the option for players to make their characters slightly tougher at resisting damage than their strength attribute would indicate.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was part of why you cut the DR in half... so, your bullet-proof wookie with 8D Stamina only has 4D Damage Resistance.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
This was part of why you cut the DR in half... so, your bullet-proof wookie with 8D Stamina only has 4D Damage Resistance.

The "halving" of Lifting was for Strength Damage in D6 Space. I have no memory of any D6 game or house rule idea halving anything, even a skill you can raise, for Damage Resistance. IMO that's an even more outrageous idea. If a 2D strength character doesn't raise stamina, that would mean a damage resistance of only 1D. One shot by a blaster and that guy is toast. Even with the D6 Space strength damage type of 'round up' halving, a 3D strength/stamina character would only have 2D to resist damage. You would need to have at least 5D strength/stamina just to have 3D in damage resistance. I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that in any D6 game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few reasons:

1) It directly addresses the blaster-proof wookie. That 6D Strength Wookie has only a 3D damage resistance... he still needs to worry about a blaster pistol.
2) With halved strength damage for melee weapons, halved strength for damage resistance keeps them dangerous.
3) It encourages characters to either wear armor, seek cover, or both, since damage is so much more dangerous.
4) By basing it on Stamina, it provides an alternate, cheaper way of increasing damage resistance... somewhat important when you've reduced it. Wink

Essentially, it addresses the problems that happen at the upper end of damage resistance, and encourages options that reduce the likelihood of being hit/increase damage resistance. A starting wookie CAN still become blaster-proof, on average, by boosting their Stamina to 8D, but it's a more expensive route.

(I do use a slightly different form of halving; the D6 Space uses "Drop pips, cut in half"; I include the pips, count each die at 3 pips, and divide from there. So a 6D+2 is [{6*3}+2] is 20 pips, cut in half to 10 pips, which becomes 3D+1... exactly half.)
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to get around the bulletproof wookiee is limit damage soak to 4D or 5D. After that only armor modifiers. As with most things, heavier armor comes with some nasty negative mods to DEX, so it helps even things out as well. Besides, a cap makes it nice and easy. No need for math or special formulas =)
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx, now I understand that you already do this, but couldn't remember where you got the idea from and in the OP you were looking to see if anyone knew. You're the first person I've ever heard of that does that, so sorry I can't answer your original question and have no idea where you got that idea from.

Quote:
2) With halved strength damage for melee weapons, halved strength for damage resistance keeps them dangerous.
4) By basing it on Stamina, it provides an alternate, cheaper way of increasing damage resistance... somewhat important when you've reduced it.

This reads like you manufactured the problem then created solution for it. That seems to be the long way to go about it, but whatever flies your starship.

FYI, there are other ways to accomplish making blasters more deadly and preventing blaster-proof wookiees. Here is my recently posted alternate damage/wound system which is definitely more deadly. I also have a rule that no PC may have any attribute above 5D, regardless of species max. I strongly emphasize in the importance of the dodge skill as it is best to not get hit in the first place.

I also encourage the use of cover, but have an opposing view on armor. I despise players with a D&D mentality that their PCs can wear their armor everywhere. It's simply not realistic, even for a space fantasy such as Star Wars. You run into problems in customs. You attract unwanted attention to yourself and your party on civilized worlds. I'm pretty cool with a blast vest being warn under a cloak or something, but a lot of missions/jobs are going to prohibit wearing much more protection than that. The mentality of encouraging PCs to wear armor is alien to me.

I also have an opposing view on melee weapons. I use a similarly halved Strength Damage. So blasters are intentionally deadlier than strength-based melee weapons in my game because blasters seem like they should be deadlier. This is Star Wars and lightsabers are the cool melee weapons, so I don't encourage strength-based melee weapons. "Ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

So the idea of making characters very weak in resisting damage only to require them to dump a lot of character points into a skill to raise it is like taking something away from them just to have them work towards getting it back, when it is much easier to just not take it away from them in the first place and not allow them to raise it as a skill (which could still eventually be abused). If my players want their PCs to have a high damage resistance, they pay for it up front during character creation, primarily in attribute allocation. Regardless of where it starts, after play begins they just work on their dodge as they (and they enemies) advance in abilities in attacking and avoiding attacks that could damage them.

But Nexx, to each his own. I'm glad your originality is here in our now even more diverse collective of Star Wars GMs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx, now I understand that you already do this, but couldn't remember where you got the idea from and in the OP you were looking to see if anyone knew. You're the first person I've ever heard of that does that, so sorry I can't answer your original question and have no idea where you got that idea from.

Quote:
4) By basing it on Stamina, it provides an alternate, cheaper way of increasing damage resistance... somewhat important when you've reduced it.

This reads like you manufactured the problem then created solution for it. That seems to be the long way to go about it, but whatever flies your starship.

The halved damage for strength weapons comes from d6 Space. Not a manufactured problem; one that comes from a later iteration of the game.

Quote:
I also encourage the use of cover, but have an opposing view on armor. I despise players with a D&D mentality that their PCs can wear their armor everywhere. It's simply not realistic, even for a space fantasy such as Star Wars. You run into problems in customs. You attract unwanted attention to yourself and your party on civilized worlds. I'm pretty cool with a blast vest being warn under a cloak or something, but a lot of missions/jobs are going to prohibit wearing much more protection than that. The mentality of encouraging PCs to wear armor is alien to me.

I think armor for major characters has been on the table since TESB. When you look at the bounty hunter scene, you've got Dengar (human in armor), Boba Fett (human in armor), Zuckuss (Gand in armor), Bossk (Trandoshan), 4LOM, and IG-88. Two droids, three living species in armor, and one not wearing obvious armor... and he's of a species that has some regeneration. The main characters don't really wear armor, aside from Vader, but it appears sporadically throughout the series on minor characters, especially on those in dangerous lines of work.

Quote:
I also have an opposing view on melee weapons. I use a similarly halved Strength Damage. So blasters are intentionally deadlier than strength-based melee weapons in my game because blasters seem like they should be deadlier. This is Star Wars and lightsabers are the cool melee weapons, so I don't encourage strength-based melee weapons. "Ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

I don't think we have an opposing view at all on melee weapons; keeping the full strength damage makes lightsabers a frequently inferior weapon when compared to melee weapons in the hands of a high-strength character.... and avoids the rather silly situation where a wookie might get the same result from punching someone as attacking them with a vibro-blade.

A side effect of making Strength the sole determinant of damage resistance is everyone who is tough is muscle-bound or alien. Someone with a 4D is near the peak of human ability... the rules and luck will only let you go a little bit further. A human with a 4D Strength isn't going to be Harrison Ford... he's going to be Arnold Schwarzenegger. Shifting it to Stamina allows a broader variety of characters to be tough, while the halving reduces the impact at higher levels of ability.

To address Shootingwomprats's Cap, that's an option, definitely, but I also prefer an option to make it something that can be improved. Whill points to Dodge as an option, and it certainly is, but it really only changes the place they're having to spend points, doesn't it? I mean, you can start with a 4D Dex and boost Dodge, or a 4D Strength and boost Stamina, but the result is still that damage is reduced over time, and in both cases you're spending CPs to increase an ability, AND operating against similar difficulties... Weapon Skill v. Dodge or Weapon Damage v. Stamina.

(BTW, because I am new, I think I should make clear: I don't have a problem with being argued with, or even you thinking I'm wrong to make the suggestion. I'll argue my points as best I can, but I'm not getting angry with good discussion.)
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
The halved damage for strength weapons comes from d6 Space. Not a manufactured problem; one that comes from a later iteration of the game.

I was referring to your damage resistance, not strength damage. You speak of them as if they must go hand-in-hand, but that is not the case. D6 Space doesn't have your damage resistance, which is why you posted this thread in the first place (you couldn't remember where you got it). Strength damage was introduced to address an inherent issue with the core mechanics that many saw. And I think I've been very clear I've been talking about your damage resistance, not strength damage.

And I know where half-lifting strength damage comes from. I already said I use that with a different calculation (completely gradient similar to yours). Although I did predict some advances in game mechanics (such as me having wounded twice in my game 7 or 8 years before it was RAW), I do not claim to have come up with half-Lifting Strength Damage on my own. I freely admit I got it from Purgatory D6 which I refer to above.

MrNexx wrote:
I think armor for major characters has been on the table since TESB. When you look at the bounty hunter scene, you've got Dengar (human in armor), Boba Fett (human in armor), Zuckuss (Gand in armor), Bossk (Trandoshan), 4LOM, and IG-88. Two droids, three living species in armor, and one not wearing obvious armor... and he's of a species that has some regeneration. The main characters don't really wear armor

I ran an outlaw hunter/merc campaign once, and armor was more common. Most of my campaigns are rebels spec forces and smugglers. Smugglers wearing armor is not going to fly as the whole point is to sneak something while encouraging the illusion that you're not doing anything illegal, and likewise spec forces can only get away with wearing armor when appropriate for the mission. When the game mechanics themselves encourage players wear armor, that is in general and not just for certain types of campaigns, which is what is alien to me. Some of the bounty hunters wearing armor in TESB only puts wearing armor on the table for bounty hunter PCs. If that's all you do, then I understand your encouragement of you PCs wearing armor better.

MrNexx wrote:
A side effect of making Strength the sole determinant of damage resistance is everyone who is tough is muscle-bound or alien. Someone with a 4D is near the peak of human ability... the rules and luck will only let you go a little bit further. A human with a 4D Strength isn't going to be Harrison Ford... he's going to be Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I'm ok with all that, but I wouldn't say that it's a side effect. I would say that is the primary effect. As I've stated, in my mind damage resistance should be valued as an attribute as it is in RAW, not a skill. Strength skills being higher as a result of a higher attribute are the side effects, to my thinking.

MrNexx wrote:
Whill points to Dodge as an option, and it certainly is, but it really only changes the place they're having to spend points, doesn't it? I mean, you can start with a 4D Dex and boost Dodge, or a 4D Strength and boost Stamina, but the result is still that damage is reduced over time, and in both cases you're spending CPs to increase an ability, AND operating against similar difficulties... Weapon Skill v. Dodge or Weapon Damage v. Stamina.

But dodge has an end result more like the films. In general, the heroes survive battle by not getting hit in the first place. You do not see heroes survive by getting hit and taking it over and over again.

The closest I could imagine coming to your house rule would be to say stamina (or half-stamina) could be used to resist stun damage. But to each GM, his own. If what you do works for you and your group, then great!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I handle damage from various sources:

Resisting the hit
Roll to resist damage rolls from attacks, this is often called soak damage.

Vs Brawl:
When taking damage from brawl attacks, roll Toughness (skill) to resist, (or default to Strength attribute at half rolled result.)
Physical armor dice will assist.

Vs Blunt:
When taking damage from blunt melee weapons, roll toughness (skill) to resist (or default to Strength attribute at half rolled result.)

Vs Edged or ballistics:

When taking damage from edged melee weapons, or firearms.
you cannot use toughness (skill).
You must default to Strength attribute to resist at half rolled result.)

Vs Blasters and Energy and explosives:
When taking damage from blasters or other energy weapons, the die code rolled is based on the species size:

Small: 1D (Jawa, Ewok, Dug, Ugnaut)
Med: 2D (Human, Rodian, Twilek, Duros)
Large: 3D (Wookiee, Gamorrean, Whiphid)
Huge: 4D (Herglic, Hutt)

Energy armor dice will assist.

A character can never roll less than 1D to soak any damage.

Applying damage:
If the total of the damage dice is greater than the total of the soak dice, the character will be hurt.

Brawl damage or blunt melee is applied to Stun track.

Firearms
or Blaster damage is applied to physical track

Explosives damage is applied to Both tracks.

----

For attacking, I have a 'hitting power' skill associated to Strength attribute that is used for basing brawling and melee weapon damage.

With this, I have a very robust cover and dodge house rule system, which is covered elsewhere. On the whole, with the above system, it makes seeking cover very attractive and useful when blaster bolts are flying.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd throw this out there in case someone finds it a better alternative for their game:

My house rule for resisting damage is that all species have a Durability die code, which cannot be altered. Characters get to add their number before the "D" from the Strength attribute, in the form of pips. If you're using stock damage die codes for blasters and such, I'd make the Durability die code 2D for 99% of all sentient species. So say you've got a Wookiee with 5D Strength. Since the number before the "D" in their Strength attribute is 5, they'd get to add 5 pips (converts to 1D+2) to their Durability (2D) to resist damage, so they'd roll 3D+2 when resisting damage. I have increased damage for ranged weapons in my game, though (it gives me more freedom when statting melee weapons, but that's another story), so my default Durability is 3D. Making Durability a standalone stat also lets you give durasteel-chassis droids a relatively high Durability while still having just 1D in Strength. For species (or droids) with natural armor, you can give them a special ability to increase their resistance to a certain type (or types) of damage, or simply give them a higher Durability stat.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
I figured I'd throw this out there in case someone finds it a better alternative for their game:

My house rule for resisting damage is that all species have a Durability die code, which cannot be altered.

We think very similarly.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a skill based Damage Resistance rule, like what D6 Space uses for melee damage would actually make the "Blaster-proof Wookiee" problem worse!

Now yes, initially implementing such a rule would reduce the soak dice for a STR 6D Wookiee from 6D down to 3D, but once the players realize how it works they are going to start raising Stamina. So down the road, not only will you see the Wookiee rolling 6D again, but you might see 7D or 8D! Especially if someone takes "Damage Resistance" as a skill specialty (and why wouldn't they?).

Worse still, all of the Wookiee's wimpy friends can now do the same, so you might start to see Human, Ewoks and Jawas with resistances above 4D.

Another possible solution to the "Blaster-proof Wookiee" problem might be to give characters a fixed soak total, Maybe something like STR pips.

Or you could bring back the old Stun rule from first edition. back then if the damage total was more than half the soak total the character took a stun result. That way the Wookiee might not get hurt, but he will get stunned into unconsciousness after a few hits.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:

My house rule for resisting damage is that all species have a Durability die code, which cannot be altered. Characters get to add their number before the "D" from the Strength attribute, in the form of pips. If you're using stock damage die codes for blasters and such, I'd make the Durability die code 2D for 99% of all sentient species. So say you've got a Wookiee with 5D Strength. Since the number before the "D" in their Strength attribute is 5, they'd get to add 5 pips (converts to 1D+2) to their Durability (2D) to resist damage, so they'd roll 3D+2 when resisting damage. I have increased damage for ranged weapons in my game, though (it gives me more freedom when statting melee weapons, but that's another story), so my default Durability is 3D. Making Durability a standalone stat also lets you give durasteel-chassis droids a relatively high Durability while still having just 1D in Strength. For species (or droids) with natural armor, you can give them a special ability to increase their resistance to a certain type (or types) of damage, or simply give them a higher Durability stat.

Hmmm... maybe, to combine the ideas, make the base Durability code the minimum Strength of the race? So, a Wookie would have a base Durability of 2D+2... tougher than a human, but not terribly. To that, you add the x of their xD+y strength code in additional pips... So a wookie would have a base durability of 2D+2, but you'd never find one with a code of less than 3D+1 (since that's their base plus 2 pips for their lowest possible strength), and it would be very rare to find one above 4D+2... 2D+2 plus 6 pips for a 6D strength.

Quote:
Now yes, initially implementing such a rule would reduce the soak dice for a STR 6D Wookiee from 6D down to 3D, but once the players realize how it works they are going to start raising Stamina. So down the road, not only will you see the Wookiee rolling 6D again, but you might see 7D or 8D! Especially if someone takes "Damage Resistance" as a skill specialty (and why wouldn't they?).

Considering getting to a 6D soak would require a 12D Stamina... 12+21+24+27+30+33, or 147 character points spent on NOTHING but Stamina increases (114 if they maxed out Stamina at 8D in character creation), that's pretty damn expensive.

As for a specialty in damage reduction... why let them? Neither lifting nor stamina have any specializations listed, even in d6 Space, where the "Lift for damage' rule originates.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Matthias777 wrote:

Hmmm... maybe, to combine the ideas, make the base Durability code the minimum Strength of the race? So, a Wookie would have a base Durability of 2D+2... tougher than a human, but not terribly. To that, you add the x of their xD+y strength code in additional pips... So a wookie would have a base durability of 2D+2, but you'd never find one with a code of less than 3D+1 (since that's their base plus 2 pips for their lowest possible strength), and it would be very rare to find one above 4D+2... 2D+2 plus 6 pips for a 6D strength.

I'd shy away from that just because I feel it puts you at almost right back where you were with the 5D Strength bulletproof Wookiee, but that's just me. As a final result, I still like your way better than RAW, but I feel like it's too many steps for too little of a change. But I'm glad my solution put you on a path toward one that you like. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: