The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Bit of Theory about Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> A Bit of Theory about Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, by that logic, my car is my slave, too. Good thing I'm a "benevolent master."

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys and your cold hard logic. Regardless of their status as machines or non-biological servants, R2-D2 and C-3PO are beloved characters. I merely meant to convey that it was an interesting consideration. My game addresses it, but there are no definitive conclusions. Sometimes, asking the questions and presenting different viewpoints is just fun. I'm rather dumbfounded that anyone could be put off by a simple nerd conversation about the personification of heavily personified artificial beings in a fictional space opera franchise.

In my SWU, most everywhere in the galaxy droids are property and treated as such despite any intelligence, sentience and personality they may have. I'm huge into the anti-technology theme of Star Wars. The only tech that gets any possible special plot considerations are PC-owned droids, starships and lightsabers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You guys and your cold hard logic. Regardless of their status as machines or non-biological servants, R2-D2 and C-3PO are beloved characters. I merely meant to convey that it was an interesting consideration. My game addresses it, but there are no definitive conclusions. Sometimes, asking the questions and presenting different viewpoints is just fun. I'm rather dumbfounded that anyone could be put off by a simple nerd conversation about the personification of heavily personified artificial beings in a fictional space opera franchise.

In my SWU, most everywhere in the galaxy droids are property and treated as such despite any intelligence, sentience and personality they may have. I'm huge into the anti-technology theme of Star Wars. The only tech that gets any possible special plot considerations are PC-owned droids, starships and lightsabers.

Agreed. My portion of the previous discussion was in the vein of the tpoic; 'A bit of Theory about droids.'

Poking around a bit in the books and found that WEG did address the subject way back when. There were a few organizations mentioned that fight for the emancipation of mechanicals.

But the flavor of the writing gives the impression that they are generally viewed as the SW equivalent of whacked out hippies, annoying tree-huggers and disturbed eco-terrorists. lol.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, by that logic, my car is my slave, too. Good thing I'm a "benevolent master."

Do you cuss out your GPS?

Personally, I've been known to be pretty verbally abusive to my automobile. Very Happy
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin was a slave proper, and 3P0 was built to "help mom."

"Yes, well, if droids could think, there'd be none of us here."

*Drops mic*
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Poking around a bit in the books and found that WEG did address the subject way back when. There were a few organizations mentioned that fight for the emancipation of mechanicals.

But the flavor of the writing gives the impression that they are generally viewed as the SW equivalent of whacked out hippies, annoying tree-huggers and disturbed eco-terrorists. lol.

Too true.. There are some droid rights movements over the place, but usually they are local to a system/planet, rarely over a full sector..
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Whill wrote:
You guys and your cold hard logic. Regardless of their status as machines or non-biological servants, R2-D2 and C-3PO are beloved characters.

So what about cars that exhibit human traits? Are they characters?

True story: several years ago, I needed a car with 4 doors, so I traded my 2-door Monte Carlo Z34 to my father for his Oldsmobile Aurora. He'd bought it new and it'd always run great for him. It would periodically act up when my mom drove it, although it worked fine for her when she ferried the car to me. He loaned it to my sister-in-law once; it promptly broke all the wheel lugs and a tire nearly came off (she stopped just in time before the last one sheered off).

It worked perfectly for me, until I started loaning it to my pregnant wife to drive to work. It got cranky for her and would act up from time to time, until three days before my son was born, it threw a rod through the block. Figuring (wrongly as it ultimately turned out) that $1300 for a new engine would be cheaper than a new car, I got it repaired. It was fine for 2 months, but the first week my wife took it back to work... broke the front driver tire-rod. Then a month after that, started leaking coolant.

That car is a character... still runs fine for me all the time. But damn, is it ever a misogynist.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol.. i have heard some similar stories, where a car worked ok for person A, but always had issues with anyone else.. But never to that extend of almost causing an accident (with that wheel almost sheering off)..
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was actually the 2nd car I got from my dad that was quirky. The first was an old '88 Bonneville SSE that wouldn't start when the roads were unsafe. It was really strange, I got stuck at a g/f parents' house with it one time. Her dad went out with me and we couldn't get it to start (he checked all the connections under the hood). Snow stopped early the next morning, I went out with her dad and it turned right over.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the Millennium Falcon is a character.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So shouldn't IT have character points and force points?
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

All the better to supplement those damage resist rolls.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit off-topic, since it applies to ships or other unique pieces of equipment and not droids, but since you brought it up...

I allow characters to transfer CP to ships or other unique pieces of equipment, such as signature weapons. In-universe, this takes the form of performing maintenance, and, in general, "loving" it. In the case of a ship, like the Falcon, both Han and Chewie could transfer CP to the ship, which would, in turn, give the ship itself a pool of CP to use at critical moments (specifically damage rolls, but there are other possible, critical-moment applications).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I meant it's a character in the literary sense (in the films), not necessarily in the RPG.

HAN (to ship): You hear me, baby? Hold together!

HAN: Yeah, I just got a funny feeling. Like I'm not gonna see her again.

However, the Falcon was said to have droid brains which could have personality, and in my game droids can have CPs but not FPs. So the ship possibly could have CPs in that respect, if it rolls for any of its own actions like power control.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I meant it's a character in the literary sense (in the films), not necessarily in the RPG.

HAN (to ship): You hear me, baby? Hold together!

HAN: Yeah, I just got a funny feeling. Like I'm not gonna see her again.

However, the Falcon was said to have droid brains which could have personality, and in my game droids can have CPs but not FPs. So the ship possibly could have CPs in that respect, if it rolls for any of its own actions like power control.

Exactly where I was going to go... so far as we know, the Falcon IS aware, and has several droid brains running it. 3P0 talks to it, and R2. Now, though, I'm thinking of the game mechanics necessary to include ship-droids as characters.

(Really, I think this is broadly a case of "Lucas didn't put as much thought into this as a bunch of nerds would", but that doesn't make the nerding any less fun)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: