The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Converting Consumables to Endurance Dice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Converting Consumables to Endurance Dice Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentsaber wrote:
On a partially related note, I can no longer find the houserules thread on Reliability dice, and the in text links aren't working for me at all.. any help?

I don’t recall ever doing a Reliability Mechanic, apart for some theoretical stuff very early on in this thread. Could you link to the post where the dead link is?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I missed replying to this…
pakman wrote:
Regardless of the selected mechanic - I would reduce the consumables durations of almost all craft (some drastically) - as they feel very high, and would have many implications for in universe logistics.

Absolutely. Ships like ISDs and SSDs having six years of Consumables is… excessive. Also, limiting consumables, even if just narratively, provides a great route for a small group of PCs to drastically affect Imperial operations by attacking their supply lines, hitting convoys and replenishment ships, or blowing up supply depots and the like.

Quote:
I can absolutely see the value in both "a narrative or gm fiat" based consideration - but I can also see a value in a mechanic for it being something players feel they have more awareness and control over.

That’s why I tried to port over the Fuel Cell Consumption rates from 1E, but as increases in Difficulty for the Endurance Dice roll, rather than as Fuel Cells consumed.

Quote:
Just how much room did they dedicate to food and fuel which could have gone to ammo or more weapons or fighters?

It occurs to me that another, potentially related, point is that large ships in the SWU are badly under crewed for their volume. It’s possible that the two problems solve each other, with huge portions of the ship’s interior used for Consumables storage, while crew volume (and rates of consumption) are proportionally much smaller.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It occurs to me that another, potentially related, point is that large ships in the SWU are badly under crewed for their volume. It’s possible that the two problems solve each other, with huge portions of the ship’s interior used for Consumables storage, while crew volume (and rates of consumption) are proportionally much smaller.

When I read capital ship stats I have the opposite reaction. It's hard for me to imagine why mile-long miraculous SW-tech ships would have a crew of 36,810. What could all those people possibly be doing with the modern state of computer and droid technology. And to have a skeleton value of 5,000 is such a drastic difference that it even worsens the perception – If ships can still function with over 30,000 less crew members, then did it really need that many in the first place?

Perhaps my view is overly influenced by Star Trek that has ships with crews of hundreds, until the plot requires it to not need that many and they are one adept engineer's modification away from only needing a minimal bridge crew.

Granted, I am not bothered enough by it to lower crew values. Capitals ships are almost always part of the background and serve mainly as plot motivations in the game, so crew values of these large ships never even matter.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A us navy submarine commander was asked how long a submarine could operate, and be sumbmerged...

the answer i belive is relevant to this...

UNLIMITED! the only factor that Forces a Sumbarine to the surface is resupply of perishables, aka food.

the Fuel and All that is neuclear and lasts "long enugh" that forever is used, 10 000+ years.

so What is the consumable used here? Fuel? a combination?
How do you calcualte using more crew, less crew, equipping a LARGE ship for a short mission etc etc.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: