The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage Types
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Damage Types
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Damage Types Reply with quote

The start of my toying with D6 weapons is playing with damage type descriptions. Here is what I have so far:

Physical Damage
    Physical: cryoban damage is rolled normally but treat any result more serious than “stunned” as “immobilized until the end of the next round.” An immobilized creature cannot take any actions or use any skills that are based on movement.
    Physical: fire damage is inflicted each round until all flames affecting a character are extinguished.
Energy Damage
    Energy: ionization damage only effects electrical systems.
    Energy: sonic damage attacks cannot be deflected with a lightsaber.
    Energy: stun damage is rolled normally but treat any result more serious than “stunned” as “unconscious for 2D minutes.” Droids, vehicles, and objects are immune to stun damage.
Hybrid Damage
    • Targets resist hybrid damage with the lower of their physical or energy armor die codes.

The one unique type I don't have a standard definition for yet is entangle. It seems that while this always ties the character up in some measure, the mechanical impact is rarely the same between two instances. I don't have enough experience with the game to feel comfortable picking one as the universal standard to overwrite other versions.

I also debate whether carbonite or freezing damage is a better label. I'm using the former since all instances I've been interested in are specifically tied to carbonite but it may be useful to have the more general form.

Feedback on these and any important categories I'm missing is welcome.

Last edited by raithyn on Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you see something like an acid attack? Or a flame thrower?
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flamethrower does fire damage. There's only a single number for it's initial and DOT.

None of the weapons I've pulled do acid damage. Do you have any in particular I can reference? It's definitely a physical subtype. I'd either lean toward another DOT effect, just adding damage dice, or giving acid the potential to corrode worn equipment. That's all based on my experience with other games.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about grenades and thermal detonator ?

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I debated both for a while until I realized that I felt confident fire and carbonite attacks are both forms of physical damage. From there, it seemed logical to say standard frag grenades and thermal detonators are both physical damage as well, no subtype needed since there's no additional mechanical effect in play.

Stun, ion, and cryoban grenades all have matching physical or energy subtypes. Glop/adhesive/sticky grenades are entangle, so they don't do actual damage but will restrict movement.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage Types Reply with quote

This thread pointed out to me that my Star Wars D6 Damage site refers to "physical" and "energy" damage but never really defines them. I need to remedy that. Thanks for posting this thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raithyn wrote:
A flamethrower does fire damage. There's only a single number for it's initial and DOT.

None of the weapons I've pulled do acid damage. Do you have any in particular I can reference? It's definitely a physical subtype. I'd either lean toward another DOT effect, just adding damage dice, or giving acid the potential to corrode worn equipment. That's all based on my experience with other games.

Kevlarik Dissuader (galadiniums), does 3d phys, 3d acid.

And fire i was more on is that to you, energy, or physical (OR BOTH)?
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And fire i was more on is that to you, energy, or physical (OR BOTH)?

Sorry, I misunderstood. As Whill called out, I haven't specifically defined the top-level terms here. Honestly, I haven't needed to write them out anywhere in my own materials yet. My functional definition has been that energy damage is anything related to photons, lasers, plasma, or electricity while physical damage is anything related to material or thermodynamic impacts. If a weapon does pure damage without an additional effect (only affecting droids, immobilizing the target, etc.), it just gets one of those two top level labels with everything else being descriptive flavor.

I debated on the thermodynamic part but ultimately decided that since heat and cold can be resisted with cloth padding that a blaster bold would basically ignore, they should be resisted by physical armor. Therefore, fire damage is a subset of physical damage for my taxonomy.

As an aside, the bowcaster is the only weapon I assigned hybrid damage so far since it has an explosive metal quarrel sheathed in plasma. That also gives it a bit more punch. Per RAW, it's stats are worse than a standard blaster pistol.

garhkal wrote:
Kevlarik Dissuader (galadiniums), does 3d phys, 3d acid.

Having now looked it up, I actually like the dissuader quite a bit. It's much more aesthetically pleasing than many of the surrounding weapons too.

Quote:
Damage: 3D; 3D acid burn damage for three rounds unless character has hardened materials which resist acids.

This this a pretty well-defined damage over time (DOT) mechanic but there's no rules support for which materials resist acid and which don't. I think I'd need to rewrite that to specifically call out metal, glass, etc. so there's no confusion when running an open table with all-new players.
raithyn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit explanation: I changed carbonite damage to cryoban damage.

That's just a reflection of the fact that multiple chemical compounds might be used for a given attack to produce sub-zero temperatures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: