The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Medium repeaters and heavy E-web repeaters.. How long??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Medium repeaters and heavy E-web repeaters.. How long?? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer how long? The speed of plot. It takes as long as you want it to take. If you want it fast, its fast. If you want it slow, its slow. If you want a standard for the Imperial military use one.
This only matters when the pc's try to do it. let them fumble around trying to figure it out. One person grabs the tripod, another the blaster and maybe a third brings up the generator. Depending on what's going on, it could be really tense scene or a really funny scene with some slap stick comedy.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather think the OP prefers (enjoys?) a precise, consistent method to work with.

As for me? I just like talking about possible ways to solve problems. Razz

The solution you present is the one I would be most lokely to employ fwiw.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do.. as doing things 'at the speed of plot' can often create a lot more inconsistencies' than it solves.
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying be inconsistent all the time. If this comes up, like in every other session, then pick a time and use it. That's it. But if it's once in a while, especially with new players or pcs each time, make it fun, tense, funny, etc. If the moment calls for it. Otherwise, use the number you selected and keep the game going. PCs do lots of things that take time, possible a lot more time than a standard 5 second round would call for, yet it happens in a round anyway. This is suppose to be a fun game, not focused on nitty-gritty technicals. If that's how you (you as in general, not YOU) want to play, cool, awesome, have at it. But the game and it's rules, RAW or otherwise, should maintain a fun, fast flow.
Anyway, that's my opinion.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. This is how movies do it, too.

Anyone have any idea how long Ep3 ws supposed to be? We begin by finding out that Padme is pregnant, and the movie ends with her delivering. But watching the movie, there seems to no "room" to squeeze in any down time.... it goes from one event to the next, with months or weeks going by and we don't even know it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where i saw it but the events of Ep three was supposedly over a 4 month period.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I guess Leia and Luke were premees!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Anyone have any idea how long Ep3 ws supposed to be?

garhkal wrote:
Not sure where i saw it but the events of Ep three was supposedly over a 4 month period.

That was pure fan speculation (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Naaman wrote:
Anyone have any idea how long Ep3 ws supposed to be? We begin by finding out that Padme is pregnant, and the movie ends with her delivering. But watching the movie, there seems to no "room" to squeeze in any down time.... it goes from one event to the next, with months or weeks going by and we don't even know it.

Officially, Revenge of the Sith takes place of the course of 9 standard days ( Great ReSynchronization dates 16:5:20-28 ). When Padme told Anakin she was pregnant, that wasn't meant to imply that she had just found out herself. It was established in the film that Anakin had been away from Padme fighting in the Outer Rim Sieges for a long time. In the EU that had been about six months earlier (coinciding with Anakin's original promotion to Jedi knighthood before TCW retconned that to 2.5 years earlier). This was the first time Padme had a chance to tell Anakin since he had been gone.

The lead costumer and producers of the film insists that Natalie Portman wore the same exact pregnant-belly prosthetic in the entire film, so there was no actual growth portrayed. The illusion of belly growth comes from the fact that Padme was attempting to hide her pregnancy, so all the costumes she wore before the 'Mustafar' one were intentionally designed to hide her pregnancy. However it is possible that those she spent to most time had seen through the deception and realized or strongly suspected the truth, such as her security and Bail Organa, but they just never said anything because it was none of their business. In the AotC deleted scenes, screenplay and novelization, there is absolutely no mention or even subtle reference to the father of Padme's sister's children, which may have been to foreshadow Padme's own pregnancy.

Naaman wrote:
Haha! I guess Leia and Luke were premees!

Which is not uncommon on Earth for multiple births. I would be inclined to agree that Luke and Leia were premature, except for the fact they appeared to be full-term normal-sized babies when they are born (which makes me wonder if the belly prosthetic was really even large enough to be realistic for less than full term twins). It is possible that Padme had become pregnant a couple months before she last saw Anakin, and either it just wasn't confirmed or she hadn't yet gotten up the courage to tell him before he had left for the outer rim. So maybe she was at 8-9 months in the film.

You would think that science in the Star Wars galaxy would make it easy to instantly know if a woman was pregnant, but perhaps there is some Naboo cultural tradition to let nature take its course and not test for those things or scan the baby before birth. The primary thing supporting that hypothesis is that Padme evidently didn't even know she was carrying twins (I seen no reason she would have known and lied about it to Anakin by using singular references to "the baby"). In either the unedited screenplay, the novelization or both, Padme predicts their singular baby will be a boy but Anakin thinks it will be a girl (which seems to also have been an attempt to explain why Vader, after finding out the name of the Rebel who destroyed the first Death Star sometime after ANH, would not assume that Luke was definitely his son before being told that by Palpatine in TESB). Of course Obi-Wan and even Anakin couldn't divine the number of babies through the Force, but maybe babies still inside their mothers and connected to them with umbilical cords are not distinguishable as separate beings yet. So wanting to maintain surprise at the gender of the baby could also mean Padme wouldn't even learn the number of babies. Maybe Naboo woman never even went to doctors or medical droids, or used any technology at all during their pregnancy. Maybe Naboo also don't use birth control which could explain why they even had an unplanned pregnancy in a secret forbidden marriage in the first place. Or maybe the midichlorians defeated the contraception. 8)

Of course it is also possible that due to superior nutrition and some degree of transhuman evolution in the Star Wars galaxy, full term pregnancy is only 6 months. Or maybe Luke and Leia were premature by normal SW pregnancy timeline standards, but through being strong in the Force they had developed faster so appeared fully mature after only 6 months. What works best for me is that the twins were conceived immediately after Anakin's promotion to knighthood (the first time he would be a lot more free to spend the night wherever he wanted without having to report his whereabouts to a master or the temple), and that was on the eve of him leaving for the Outer Rim Sieges about 7 months before RotS. But that only works because I reject moving Anakin's promotion to full Jedi knighthood to literally weeks after his mother died in his arms and Yoda felt that Anakin was in terrible pain literally across the galaxy.

Anyway, the film only occurring over the course of 9 days would mean the Death Star had apparently already been in construction before the film began, but that is certainly possible since Palpatine took possession of the Death Star plans at the end of AotC. Palpatine had sole control over the wealth of his own noble family, and also had secret access to a lot of the wealth and resources of Darth Plagueis, Count Dooku and the entire Separatist movement.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case... Star Wars is a perfect example of time distortion.... in one movie we see multiple trips across 10s if not hundreds of light years, yet noone ages or anything.

In "reality" a shhip would need a hyper drive just to make interplanetary travel "practical," let alone interstellar travel.

9 days may be the official timeline, but given the embroilment of politics, the travel and scope of the war scenario, Id say it takes months, if not a year for all the thing that ARE SHOWN in the movie to actually develop and transpire.

For example, I don't buy that Anakin would have went from "it's not the Jedi way," to "I pledge myself to your teaching" in nine days, nackstory notwithstanding. He was one failed willpower roll away from killing Palpatine when he found out, after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: