The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updating the Y-Wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Updating the Y-Wing Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Updating the Y-Wing Reply with quote

Some of you may find this surprising, but I really don't have any complaints about the RAW's stats for the Y-Wing. The only thing I'm looking to add is based on an alternate version of the Y-Wing from a video game, specifically Star Wars: Rogue Squadron.

In this game, the Y-Wing exchanges its proton torpedoes for gravity bombs. While I don't agree with this decision (after all, if the Death Star run in ANH required proton torpedoes, as per General Dodonna, why were the Y-Wings there if they didn't have them), I do think the idea has some merit.

Since I've written up stats and rules for gravity bombs as part of my Advanced Starfighter Combat system, it wouldn't be too hard to include them in the Y-Wing. I'm thinking one of two approaches:
    1). Keep the Y-Wing's existing proton torpedo launchers, and add a bomb chute between them, so that the Y-Wing can carry both.

2). Swap out the Y-Wing's torpedo launchers for more advanced Warhead Launchers, similar to those found on advanced TIE prototypes, such as the TIE Avenger and TIE Defender, which can deliver pretty much any kind of ordnance, whether concussion missiles, proton torpedoes, bombs, etc.

Of the two, I'm more inclined toward the first (the separate bomb chute) simply because it is more of a low-tech solution. The Warhead Launchers (IMO) are more sophisticated tech found on more recent starfighters, including the TIE Bomber. The Bomb Chute, on the other hand, gives the Y-Wing the ability to carry bombs and torpedoes while still maintaining the "rugged, yet outdated" feel of Alliance technology.

Thoughts?

EDIT: This would just be for the Y-Wing fighter/bomber; the Y-Wing Longprobe would lose the ability to drop bombs in trade for being equipped with a navcomputer and 3x the consumables of a standard Y-Wing.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lean more to #3, a swap out. Torp launcher for bomb dropper.. A quick say half an hour field refit could do so at a v. difficult 23) repair difficulty, or go for 1 hr, at moderate (13)..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I lean more to #3, a swap out. Torp launcher for bomb dropper.. A quick say half an hour field refit could do so at a v. difficult 23) repair difficulty, or go for 1 hr, at moderate (13)..

The problem there is that it assumes the proper equipment (and the launchers themselves) will always be available when needed. Not every group of PCs operates out of a fixed base, so unless they have a spare freighter to cart around all their extra equipment and ordnance launchers, it will be simpler to just have the capacity for both built into the fighter.

Personally, I rather like the idea of a Y-Wing as a rugged, ordnance-heavy bomb truck, like an A-6 Intruder in space...

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also say that you're going to have different builds and loadouts possible.

So, some Y-Wings will have jury-rigged bomb chutes installed. Others will have gotten a more substantial refit which gave it a multi-function launcher, or one that simply did away with the launcher entirely in favor of a well-done bomb chute.

The base design still incorporates the gunner's chair, the ion turret, and the torpedo launchers... but, as a long-functioning workhorse of galactic war, there are a lot of variations out there, some of which have become standardized through different manufacturers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

The problem there is that it assumes the proper equipment (and the launchers themselves) will always be available when needed. Not every group of PCs operates out of a fixed base, so unless they have a spare freighter to cart around all their extra equipment and ordnance launchers, it will be simpler to just have the capacity for both built into the fighter.

But not everyone's feeling like you do C.. Not all ships need to be fleshed out to optimal use from the get go. That's what rules for modifying and improving ships are for...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But not everyone's feeling like you do C..

Did I miss the memo that Disney, WEG et al had made my version of the stats official? If you don't like it, don't use it. I like it.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

He's not making them for everyone. Just those who want them. No one makes anything for everyone.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Did I miss the memo that Disney, WEG et al had made my version of the stats official?

Well there definitely would be a much larger degree of consistency if they did.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

He's not making them for everyone. Just those who want them. No one makes anything for everyone.

No, but he did seem to want peoples opinions... which i gave him.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Well there definitely would be a much larger degree of consistency if they did.

8)

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Wing Fighter/Bomber
Craft: Koensayr's BTL-S3 "Y-Wing"
Type: Attack Starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 16 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: Y-Wing
Crew: 2 (1 @ +5) & 1 Astromech
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 3D+2
Gunnery 4D+1
Piloting 4D+2
Shields 3D
Sensors 4D
Cargo Capacity: 110 kilograms
Consumables: 5 days
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Nav Computer: 10 jumps (Astromech)
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 kph
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D+2
Sensors:
Passive 20/0D
Scan 35/1D
Search 40/2D
Focus 2/3D
Weapons:
2 Laser Cannon (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
1 Dual Ion Blaster (Fire-Linked)
Fire Arc: Turret*
Crew: 1 (if operated by co-pilot)
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1-3/7/16
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/700m/1.6km
Damage: 4D (ionization)
*If fired by the pilot, this weapon is Fire Arc: Front @ Fire Control of 1D.
2 Proton Torpedo Launchers
Fire Arc: Front
All Other Stats vary by Weapon Type
Capacity: 4 rounds per launcher. May select Torpedoes, Space Bombs or Decoys & Probes from this list, depending on Availability.
1 Bomb Launch Chute
Fire Arc: Front (Ventral)
Rate of Fire: 2D (expends 4 bombs, 1 time/round)
All Other Stats vary by Weapon Type
Capacity: 16 rounds. May select Gravity Bombs or Space Mines from this list, depending on Availability.
Capsule: The aging Y-Wing is a mainstay of Alliance Starfighter Command primarily because of its versatility. Able to carry a wide variety of ordnance, the Y-Wing is the Alliance's primary attack platform for planetary bombing strikes and anti-shipping raids. While it lacks the speed and maneuverability of more modern fighter types, its rugged design can absorb a lot of damage yet still keep flying.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing i see wrong with putting on both launcher types (and the # of ordinances they carry), is where exactly would they go? Looking at the cross-section for the Y-wing on page 84 of the rebel alliance sourcebook, it doesn't seem there would be ANY space to add another launcher, let alone one with 16 bombs..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently became aware of cargo droptanks on real life fighter jets. I was previously aware of fuel droptanks, but the idea of a cargo droptank hadn't occurred to me - and I came across it by accident while reading about a Norwegian incident where a F16 fighter jet transported important equipment in record time in order to save a critically ill patient.

I've also noticed that in the original art for the Y-wing, and the BTL-B variant, there's a big bubbletop turret for the aft gunner as well as a more complete hull covering, exposing hardly any of the structural parts of the Y-wing itself.

Might one imagine a "backpack" or fannypack of sorts for a BTL-S3 variant that bolts over the central, squareish part and that provides some space for extra ordnance?

There's also shown in one source that the cockpit module of the BTL-S3 can detach from the main fuselage - perhaps one might bolt on an extension between the cockpit module and the main fuselage, possibly trading maneuverability (and maybe hull integrity) for an extra warhead launcher or bomb launcher? Similar to the hyperspace ring used by the Aethersprites?
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have tinkered with the idea of a Y-wing configuration that focuses more on the bomber aspect of their role. Unfortunately, looking at the various blueprints and cross-sections from a couple of different sources, I don't see how the bomb chute could be added without getting rid of something else. Like most starfighters, there isn't really much in the way of unused space on the Y-wing. So I figured there were several possible solutions:

1. Use the existing equipment. Maybe the launchers are not ordnance-specific, at least within that brand or class. Maybe Krupx designs all of their missile/torpedo/bomb housings to fit one launcher, for instance.

2. The Y-wing has dual launchers; maybe a bomber would have one torpedo launcher and one bomb launcher...or maybe #1 was accurate, and one magazine has torpedoes while the other holds bombs.

3. We know that the A4 version itself has more than one variant (standard A4 and the A4 Longprobe, for example). The A4 only has one organic crew member, and this frees up the space where the copilot/gunner was. In the Longprobe, this is used to hold more consumables, a nav computer, and at least some of the components required by the backup hyperdrive. If Koensayr left all of that stuff out, they could easily swap in a huge ordnance package and delivery system; bombs on bombs on bombs. This idea really appeals to me, but I hate that to make the Y-wing more of a bomber, we (in this example) would be getting rid of the weapons officer, which would seem to be counterproductive/counterintuitive.

4. External racks/ordnance assemblies. There is a great deal of unused external space within the shape of the Y-wing; maybe the reason that the primary fuselage spar is so thin (in comparison to, say, the cockpit) is that it was designed for ordnance to be carried on either side of the fuselage directly behind the cockpit.

5. All of the above possibilities (and possibly others) exist, with varying prevalence throughout the Galaxy. This is the option I go with.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:

4. External racks/ordnance assemblies. There is a great deal of unused external space within the shape of the Y-wing; maybe the reason that the primary fuselage spar is so thin (in comparison to, say, the cockpit) is that it was designed for ordnance to be carried on either side of the fuselage directly behind the cockpit.

That's one thing i have often done in game, had 'field retrofits' to give certain fighters an external rack or two of missiles..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The other thing i see wrong with putting on both launcher types (and the # of ordinances they carry), is where exactly would they go? Looking at the cross-section for the Y-wing on page 84 of the rebel alliance sourcebook, it doesn't seem there would be ANY space to add another launcher, let alone one with 16 bombs..

That's because you are reading what you want to see into a graphic that doesn't actually say what you want it to.
    1).The side view cut-away shows the starboard proton torpedo launcher and magazines, which are presumably laterally symmetrical. However, it does not show the space in between the launchers.

2). The top view cut-away doesn't designate the proton torpedo launchers at all, so there is no way to gauge from this cut-away whether or not anything can be fit between the launchers.

3). A cursory examination of the launchers that are shown leave one scratching his head wondering how they could function.

4). This is a cutaway of the -A4 Longprobe, not the -S3 fighter/bomber, and I specifically mentioned in the very first post that the bomb chute would not be fitted to the Longprobe, so you are using as evidence a fighter that wouldn't have the bomb chute anyway.

5). On top of that, if you check the Incredible Cross-Sections book, you will find that they went a different route and fitted the Y-Wing with a massive central magazine that feeds both torpedo launchers, and carries over a dozen rounds, so there is a difference of opinion in the EU as to exactly how much room is available for magazine storage aboard the Y-Wing.

Did you really think I'd gotten to this point without doing my research?

Gravity Bombs as I envision them are actually smaller than torpedoes, as they don't require a drive, so you can fit more of them in than you could torpedoes (roughly 2-1).

As far as the Proton Torpedo Launchers, I've discarded what WEG shows in their cross section in favor of a rotary-magazine launcher that allows the fighter to carry weapons of different types in the same launcher, selecting between them based on the attack he needs to make rather than what's up next in the magazine.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: