The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Let's do Star Wars comic books!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Let's do Star Wars comic books! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Marvel Star Wars: Mutiny at Mon Cala (spoilers) Reply with quote

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=187806#187806
https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=187836#187836

Comic book spoilers below.

After completing the comic story of the subjugation of Mon Cala one year after RotS, I discovered that the current Marvel Star Wars main title had a story arc showing how the Rebel Fleet gained the Mon Cal star cruisers one year after ANH, and this arc was also compiled into a trade paperback so I bought it.

The premise is that after the Mon Cala king was imprisoned, the sector was forced into the Empire, and Mon Cala planet began producing parts for the Imperial War machine, the Empire allowed "Mon Cala Mercantile Fleet" to continue operating as the (demilitarized) "Mon Cala Imperial Trade Fleet" so they could make "war reparations" to the Empire (apparently "owed" to the Empire for their rebellion in 18 BBY). The Grand Admiral of the Mon Cala mercantile fleet was also considered to be the regent representing the Calamarian throne during the king's absence. Ackbar is already in the Alliance at this point. The Heroes of Yavin are shown going on Special Ops type of missions, in this one trying to convince the mercantile fleet grand admiral to throw his support in to the Rebellion, the Alliance really needing the Mon Cal star cruisers. He said he could only do that with the support of the king, so of course the heroes have to break into a maximum security prison. But first they have to break into a different prison to enlist the aid of an incarcerated changeling con man to pose as the Moff of the Calamari Sector at a public event (coached by Threepio), while the heroes capture the real Moff and use him to break in. They find the king and see he is barely kept alive by life support and dying. They can't free him without killing him so Leia gets him to record a message from the king, completed just as stormtroopers rush in and shoot at everyone, missing the heroes but killing the king and their own moff (oops). The heroes get the message (which includes the king's death) back to the regent admiral guy but he refuses help them without the king stating they are doomed to fail. But after the heroes give up and leave, the regent changes his mind and broadcasts the message to entire system which sacrifices his life after Imperials come in and kill him. The message simultaneously reaches the star destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers. The Calamarians are inspired to rebel, subduing all the Imperials on board their ships and sparking a space battle between hardly armed Mon Cal cruisers and the Empire with the heroes on the Falcon are of course in the middle of. They Mon Cal ships try to escape but are blocked. Ackbar leads a Rebel attack force that arrives out of hyperspace to help and the battle really begins. One of the Mon Cala trade cruisers is hauling a full load of coaxium and they sacrifice themselves by charging into some Imperials in an exit corridor which light up the MC ship before realizing which ship that was. The coaxium epically explodes taking out a star destroyer and creating a hole for the remaining ships of the Rebel and Mon Cal trade fleets to escape.

I had thought this was the story of Mon Cala overthrowing the Empire on their planet, but the planet seems to still be under Imperial control at the end of the story. This is the story of how the Rebel Fleet begins to take its shape as it appears in RotJ, even though no Mon Cal cruisers appear at the end of TESB. The artist's strength is in making the characters really have the facial likeness of their actors. The Rebel base scene featured all of the surviving leaders from RO intermingled with the ANH generals. Some of the Rebel pilots from TESB appear in the story too. The non-film characters are pretty well-drawn too, but overall I didn't enjoy the art quite as much as the art in the Burning Seas story. Overall this comic was ok, better than the Burning Seas story.
Registration & Log-In Help
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvel Star Wars: Mutiny at Mon Cala (spoilers) Reply with quote

http://web.archive.org/web/20180309215519/https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-kieron-gillen-interview-rebel-alliance-admiral-ackbar/

Here is a good interview with the author of the arc of the above post.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else reading the Age of Rebellion miniseries?

The Tarkin issue gives some spectacular insight into his youth and the Yoda cover has three short tales about IG-88 (great!), Yoda (pretty good!), and Biggs and Porkins on shore leave (thoughtful and funny). Really looking forward to the upcoming Han & Boba issues.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 5 issue TIE Fighter limited series started out well. I like the concept and am interested about the Alphabet Fighters crossover novel. Anyone else read it?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Anyone else reading the Age of Rebellion miniseries?

No, I hadn't heard of this series. I recently found out about this one shot from last fall about Cassian and K-2SO, so I ordered it and it is on the way to me now.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rogue-Cassian-Annual-ebook/dp/B0719W6BXV

I've only been going back to the comic shop for the past few months to get the Shazam series, but it's always been in a rush with my family in the car waiting for me on our way to dinner, so I haven't had time to look around. I'd rather go the comic shop on a weekend without my family to take my time but if I don't go on Wednesday nights then my first choice Shazam cover variant is sold out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: