The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fragments from the Rim: A look at Galaxy Guide 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Fragments from the Rim: A look at Galaxy Guide 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voltron64
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Fragments from the Rim: A look at Galaxy Guide 9 Reply with quote

This is a thread over at TheForce.net I wanna share with you all that brings richness to an already rich sourcebook.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/fragments-from-the-rim-a-look-at-galaxy-guide-9-w-charlemagne19.50042952/

Trust me, the commentary, homebrew additions, and story hooks are worth it.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The premise in that thread that WEG discouraged PCs from actually being in the Rebellion is odd to me, I don't think that at all... I think WEG assumed most parties would be members of the rebellion or would definitely strive to become members of the rebellion.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fragments from the Rim: A look at Galaxy Guide 9 Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
The premise in that thread that WEG discouraged PCs from actually being in the Rebellion is odd to me, I don't think that at all... I think WEG assumed most parties would be members of the rebellion or would definitely strive to become members of the rebellion.

You're right. He must not have very many WEG books. There are only a handful of books that deal with playing tramps/smugglers, and also not that many that deal with other non-Rebels PCs (such as bounty hunters, scouts, or Imps). The majority of books are geared for Rebels PCs.

Voltron64 wrote:
This is a thread over at TheForce.net I wanna share with you all that brings richness to an already rich sourcebook.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/fragments-from-the-rim-a-look-at-galaxy-guide-9-w-charlemagne19.50042952/

Trust me, the commentary, homebrew additions, and story hooks are worth it.

This book has a lot of great ideas and art. I love how it formalized the unestablished 'special operations' premise of most Rebel campaigns. When I had gotten the 1e Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, I thought it was so odd that it didn't describe how PCs fit into the Alliance organizationally.

Then a few years later GG9 came out and I read about the Spec Ops mission groups. I tweaked the Alliance High Command chart in TRAS to account for Spec Ops Command, making it a much smaller 8th branch of the Alliance military but still outside of High Command. Spec Ops Command reports directly to the High Command Chief of Staff (whose official full title is "Chief of Staff and Special Operations"). So he is in the position to float the Spec Ops resources among Sector Forces and the 6 branches of Alliance Forces as needed since he has the big picture of all the branches, which keeps The Minister of War and Commander-in-Chief from having to deal with Spec Ops. In Spec Ops Command, the analogous position to the 7 Supreme Commanders of High Command is a colonel instead of a general.

I don't use the full concept of Special Ops Teams from GG9 because I don't do sandbox rebel campaign where PCs determine their own missions (not taking orders and only considering requests from Alliance). Granted, PCs may not always follow their orders to a T, and do often use the ends to justify the means.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Voltron64
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fragments from the Rim: A look at Galaxy Guide 9 Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ebertran wrote:

You're right. He must not have very many WEG books. There are only a handful of books that deal with playing tramps/smugglers, and also not that many that deal with other non-Rebels PCs (such as bounty hunters, scouts, or Imps). The majority of books are geared for Rebels PCs.

I thinking he was actually talking about how the PCs weren't meant to be as important or considered THE heroes of Rebellion in comparison to Luke, Han, and Leia.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fragments from the Rim: A look at Galaxy Guide 9 Reply with quote

Voltron64 wrote:
Whill wrote:
ebertran wrote:

I thinking he was actually talking about how the PCs weren't meant to be as important or considered THE heroes of Rebellion in comparison to Luke, Han, and Leia.

Charlemagne19 actually makes both statements. Here are some quotes from this original poster of that thread...

Charlemagne19 wrote:
The first section of the book is the Rebel Alliance! Which is weird for reasons which will only make sense if you know WEG in detail. The odd thing about them is, and I kid you not, the majority of supplements kind of ignored they existed.

I don't know if I was the Traveler roots of the game or something else but the majority of West End Games campaign advice always tried to steer you away from actually being part of the Rebellion. You were encouraged, instead, to be tramp freighter captains. I think someone said it best by saying, "When playing West End Games, you had the choice of being Han Solo or Han Solo when he's working with the Rebellion."

Characters were encouraged to AFFILIATED with the Rebellion but in a loose, "Too cool for school" sort of way.

This is what ebertran and I were referring to. Here, this OP doesn't know what he is talking about.

Charlemagne19 wrote:
This chapter will also suffer from the fact WEG had one poor flaw, which was the fact that it really was uncomfortable with player characters being "relevant" to the rest of the galaxy in the way the major NPCs were...

Voltron64, here is what you were referring to. Next is a reply to this and the OP's response to the reply.

Charlemagne19 wrote:
Vthuil wrote:
To be honest, it's hard to consider this a flaw when your players shouldn't be killing Darth Vader in the first place.

Ehhhh, it depends what you think the point of your game is supposed to be. Is it meant to be playing in the same universe as the movies or is it in an alternate universe where THEY'RE the heroes.

This GM seems to be suffering from unfortunate self-created mental limits that he blames on the game. I don't remember reading in WEG SW that the PCs couldn't still be big damn heroes in campaigns that maintain the metaplot, or any suggestion that the games shouldn't violate the metaplot.

My very first WEG SW campaign ended with the PCs quite literally preventing an Alliance loss at the Battle of Endor (and preventing the deaths of all the film heroes). They literally saved the galaxy from the Empire, and while not in any way diminishing the accomplishments of the film heroes (something the DT couldn't do). And I've also ran an alternate reality campaign where the PCs killed Chewbacca and destroyed the Millennium Falcon, killed Jabba the Hutt (and Boba Fett), and defeated the Emperor.

The stuff this guy blames on the game are his own issues. I have never understood the "victims of the metaplot" criticism of this game. Just use your imagination!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: