The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Nebulon B as a Modular Support Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Nebulon B as a Modular Support Ship Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A thought in connection to this...

Obviously, the Nebulon B's seen on screen don't present any visual evidence to support this, but one potential option is, rather than having the Nebulon B at the end of TESB be a Medical Frigate, it could be a Depot Ship (aka Small Craft Tender). During WWII, it was common practice to convert damaged destroyers into seaplane tenders, which could be forward deployed to various islands or atolls as a refueling station for seaplanes. Other types of depot ships existed, which could support minesweepers, torpedo boats, landing craft, etc.

What I'm picturing is that the Nebulon B in question is configured to provide support for large groups of small craft (light freighters, shuttles, etc) in the absence of a base at which they could land and resupply. Multiple hard-dock points along the central spar would allow smaller ships to dock, take on fuel and supplies, while also allowing their crews access to better facilities (recreational, medical, etc) than would be available aboard a light freighter. It's also possible that a Nebulon could even provide backup crews, giving crews a few days of respite from being locked in a box in deep space.

It would seem obvious on the face of things that Luke would need to have a bionic hand attached at a dedicated medical facility, but the EU seems to have made such things into a standard medical procedure that could be performed in the hospital suite of a support ship...

Just a thought.

I actually think we do see the modular concept and on the nebulon b in particular.

Now the most of them we see in detail on screen are medical frigates, however we do see some of them in a more direct combat support role, be this for fighters as a small carrier and otherwise, but we do not see it as a direct assault ship.

by looking at the ship, I would be inclined to say that any space inside the cul can be used and converted, any system ripped out and replaced without too much effort, we see this on airplane conversions on earth, as well naval ships.

So to me the nebulon is a very modular as I see it, maybe one of the most modular ones by design.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a crucial distinction between "modular" and "modified". The Modular Taskforce Cruiser, for instance, is essentially a drive section and a framework to which various mission-specific modules may be attached. Want to change a Hospital ship into an Inquisition ship? Bring it into a shipyard, disconnect the Hospital modules and strap on the Inquisition modules in their place. That's what I had originally pictured when I proposed this idea.

What you're talking about is what I consider "modified", as in, major portions of the ship's interior have been reconfigured to a purpose not originally intended in the design. The WEG version of the Nebulon B, for instance, purportedly converted the TIE hangar bay in the main fuselage into a hospital facility. By that standard, almost any ship can be modified to a certain extent, but it can't be done quickly, and any changes will almost certainly require weeks or more in a shipyard for the work to be completed.

I consider what I proposed above to be much more the latter; the interior of the ship isn't being modified, but the engineers doing the modifying are taking advantage of available space at the front of the engine pod to make permanent (relatively speaking) mission-specific modifications.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where you are going with this.

I can see the nebulon having a few modular options, though simply attaching them and go I don't is reasonable for such a ship, but with the long narrow mid section I can see attchments placed.

As to the front section here I can see some of the features bieng simply swapped out for others, but in the main aspect I can't see the ship more modular than maybe by adding attachmnets to the mid section if avoiding a complete factory modification is the aim.

With mid section attachments for cargo, starfighterss, tropps and even fule this can be an active support vessel with some self defense capabilities, like an armed tanker
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's going to be some hard limits on how much cargo it can carry while still remaining a functional warship, and the Nebulon is already slow. The depot ship, for instance, would be able to support small craft, but trying to support even small capital ships would quickly drain its resources. Some examples from WWII would be things like minelaying / minesweeping destroyers, radar picket destroyers or fast transport destroyers (could carry a company of troops with light landing craft). None of these had the bulk to be truly useful as transports, so your tanker idea would only be useful as a depot ship for much smaller craft (space transports and such), but there is still a use for them.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the nebulon class, but from the sound of it, many ships is actuaally "failry" modular, in that the description of the nebulon says that the wast interor had veen basically swapped from war ship to med frigate, though with modified crew strenth to fit.

I agree that spesifics are hard, but even ISDs seem to be fairly modular, remove hangar bay insert "more weapons, more hull" etc.

but yes I agree the tanker is a bit too much, however a small support ship capable of things like you say mine laying, even serach and rescue.

I am thinking of removing some of the hangars, as I see these as "boxes" that fir in "slots" inside the hull......then remove the "box" now the slot is open for anything else that fits
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, again, you're talking about the difference between "modified" and "modular". For modular, think of whole sections of the ship essentially being plug-and-play, where you can simply pull out one module in one piece and insert another in its place, connect the power and it's up and running. For modified, it's time spent literally building and installing the new facilities and equipment inside the ship, with even longer required to switch it out for something else (the added time of removing the old modifications to make way for the new ones).

Obviously, some vessels are going to be better at it than others; the Corellian Corvette is specifically noted as being easily modified to a variety of different missions profiles. But that still takes the form of making internal changes (usually; some of the more extreme examples like the Far Star go way beyond that), and not just swapping out pre-designed modules.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It would seem obvious on the face of things that Luke would need to have a bionic hand attached at a dedicated medical facility, but the EU seems to have made such things into a standard medical procedure that could be performed in the hospital suite of a support ship...

Just a thought.

Actually Luke got his bionic hand on an Alliance medical frigate, a ship that had been refitted into a hospital ship. In RotJ it was identified by film dialogue as being "the medical frigate". So this wasn't just medical suite of a support ship, but I think it is something that could probably done by a 2-1B in a medical suite, as long as they had the right bionic parts available. The medical suite of a support ship probably wouldn't just happen to have the right size human hand available for Luke, so it makes sense that it was a dedicated hospital ship.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main problem with the Nebulon B converted to a hospital ship is that it really doesn't have a lot of room to work with, and hospital ships generally aren't taken into battle, but are part of the fleet train that is brought in afterwards to help repair ships, perform search & rescue, etc. My explanation was that the "Medical" frigate was actually more of a combat search & rescue platform / triage medical facility, used to rescue ejected pilots and ship crew during the battle (since the Alliance would almost never be able to perform such tasks post-battle). The problem is that the evidence is becoming pretty insurmountable that there wasn't a TIE launch bay in the main hull of the ship that could be converted into a medical facility. I'm not hugely sure how to resolve it short of making a pretty obvious change to the Nebulon's profile by adding to the front of the engine section, then modifying the addition as needed to fit the assigned mission.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My main problem with the Nebulon B converted to a hospital ship is that it really doesn't have a lot of room to work with, and hospital ships generally aren't taken into battle, but are part of the fleet train that is brought in afterwards to help repair ships, perform search & rescue, etc.
My explanation was that the "Medical" frigate was actually more of a combat search & rescue platform / triage medical facility, used to rescue ejected pilots and ship crew during the battle (since the Alliance would almost never be able to perform such tasks post-battle). The problem is that the evidence is becoming pretty insurmountable that there wasn't a TIE launch bay in the main hull of the ship that could be converted into a medical facility. I'm not hugely sure how to resolve it short of making a pretty obvious change to the Nebulon's profile by adding to the front of the engine section, then modifying the addition as needed to fit the assigned mission.

When I first saw RotJ as a tween I caught Wedge's line and I did think it was odd for the Alliance to send a "medical frigate" on the assault on the second Death Star, but after I saw the films again and got the first two WEG SW books in '87 my impression was the Alliance was sending almost every ship they had available because of the high stakes of the operation. In the Alliance's desperation they threw everything and the kitchen sink at the Emperor. They cared more about destroying the Death Star and killing the Emperor than healing any wounded survivors. The medical frigate could always kamikaze something. And it could always be another target to divide fire.

But I like the rescue/triage idea for the ship. And I like the idea that the Nebulon B is a stripped down version of a "Nebulon A". But if you are going to make stats for the A, it would be best if there was some image to go along with it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s the link to EC Henry’s uparmored Nebulon B.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Here’s the link to EC Henry’s uparmored Nebulon B.

I found a different version of a Nebulon-B on ArtStation with external racks and internal bay you might find interesting. The artist based it off of the concept art for Empire.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
I found a different version of a Nebulon-B on ArtStation with external racks and internal bay you might find interesting. The artist based it off of the concept art for Empire.

That's... decent, but I think I've moved past trying to shoehorn a hangar bay into the main hull of the Nebulon. There really isn't that much room to work with, and the brief glances we get of the starboard side of a Nebulon show no evidence of a docking bay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: