The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG D6 1e for Rise of the Empire and KotoR eras
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> WEG D6 1e for Rise of the Empire and KotoR eras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narses
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: WEG D6 1e for Rise of the Empire and KotoR eras Reply with quote

I'd love to run a Star Wars game for my son, because he himself ask for it (I was overly happy of course). Of all systems out there it was a no-brainer to decide for D6 as this classless skill based system is my absolute favorite in general and easier to run than the rest. I really like Saga as well, but in comparison it is too clunky, I want something smooth and quick and D6 1e is my natural choice. I will probably add some new mechanics from the Carbon Grey RPG, which is derived from 1e (and even sports the WEG logo).
Now Saga covers the eras my son wants to play in as a jedi. But there are tons of conversions of the Saga books to D6. But those conversions were made for 2nd R&E. Now my question would be, can I use those conversions for 1e as well as written, without arduous conversion? Is there maybe other material already created to use 1e with jedi populated eras?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WEG D6 1e for Rise of the Empire and KotoR eras Reply with quote

Narses wrote:
I'd love to run a Star Wars game for my son, because he himself ask for it (I was overly happy of course). Of all systems out there it was a no-brainer to decide for D6 as this classless skill based system is my absolute favorite in general and easier to run than the rest. I really like Saga as well, but in comparison it is too clunky, I want something smooth and quick and D6 1e is my natural choice. I will probably add some new mechanics from the Carbon Grey RPG, which is derived from 1e (and even sports the WEG logo).
Now Saga covers the eras my son wants to play in as a jedi. But there are tons of conversions of the Saga books to D6. But those conversions were made for 2nd R&E. Now my question would be, can I use those conversions for 1e as well as written, without arduous conversion? Is there maybe other material already created to use 1e with jedi populated eras?

Welcome, Narses! You are are definitely in the running for longest time between registration and first post. I'm happy that you son wants to play a Star Wars RPG with you. How old is he? My son is 12.

Yes, it would be no trouble to convert the stats in the conversion documents to 1e. In the Library (see my signature), there is a 1e-to-2e conversion document that covers the speed stats and could be used in reverse. The skill conversions would be pretty obvious.

For simplicity, someone else you should consider is is porting the 2eR&E combat round (and dodge rules) into your otherwise 1e game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Narses
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to make up for it! Very Happy

Using 2ed round and dodge is definitive a good point. I will probably also adopt some things from the Carbon Grey RPG as counting only one action when using force powers with multiple force skills to make the force more dynamic. And I'm also flirting heavily with the wild die in form as used in Carbon Grey.
The number of Force Powers is (understandably) very limited.
Which source would you advice to add powers like force push/pull disarm? Are they alternative applications of telekinesis?
Could 2ed force powers (including those of conversions) be used for 1ed?
How would you handle those fancy jedi athleticism like jumps and speed?
Narses
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually enamored with the simplified force rules in the library. It was mentioned it covers the movies. Does it maybe already covers Episode I - III as well or is there a similar document for those?
Just one aspect is missing, how would hurling objects at targets with Telekinesis work and how much damage would it make?

P.S.: I strongly fancy the idea using the wild die in my 1e. Are there any experiences if that fits or would it break the game?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how the wild die would break 1e because the mechanic is not inherent aspect of 2e. I think if they had thought of the wild die back in 1e, they would have put it in there.

The key to the wild die in any edition is to remember that a 1 doesn't always have to mean anything. In addition to subtracting from the result or a complication, the other valid option is for nothing special to happen. It is a GM's prerogative.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Narses
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then using 2e round, wild die and simplified force rules (how do you see those?) should make 1e running very smooth for my son.
As far as I skimmed the conversion rules, the only aspect to behold when converting stats from 2e to 1e is probably just removing the specializations and allocating the resulting dice to skills where they make sense. Most conversions target vehicles and I think vehicular combat will be rather secondary.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narses wrote:
Then using 2e round, wild die and simplified force rules (how do you see those?) should make 1e running very smooth for my son.
As far as I skimmed the conversion rules, the only aspect to behold when converting stats from 2e to 1e is probably just removing the specializations and allocating the resulting dice to skills where they make sense. Most conversions target vehicles and I think vehicular combat will be rather secondary.

Simplified Force Rules - If you click on the link, you can read the document online without downloading it. Or download it for your convenience. Either way.

And just to be clear, it is the 2eR&E combat round that I recommend. The link I shared in the first reply goes to a post that has the original 2e ("Blue Vader") round and the R&E round, and they are significantly different.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: