The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fillable Planet Log?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Fillable Planet Log? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 1272
Location: Lost in the cracks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prototype is well under way (about 90% done with basic layout and forms...just need to polish it up and give it some style).
A few questions. I am making this prototype a mix of text fields and drop down choices. There are 2 categories I would like to get some input on. Should I make Government and Planet Function text fields, or drop down lists, or both (I.e. a drop down and text box for notes for each one)?
_________________
"There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity." ~Jachra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 9765
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
The Prototype is well under way (about 90% done with basic layout and forms...just need to polish it up and give it some style).

Wow! Cool!

Quote:
A few questions. I am making this prototype a mix of text fields and drop down choices. There are 2 categories I would like to get some input on. Should I make Government and Planet Function text fields, or drop down lists, or both (I.e. a drop down and text box for notes for each one)?

If possible, it should have text fields because it allows for GMs to make hybrid options, tweaked options, or completely new entries beyond the possibilities listed in the book. Also having drop down selections (thus both) would be nice and convenient for all the book options, but to me the open text fields are vital.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 1272
Location: Lost in the cracks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic layout is done. The fields are set up. Just need to do some fine tuning and debugging. I was hoping to get some done today, but an unexpected trip to the ER wasted my day and left me not in a constructive frame of mind.

I will try to have the prototype done this week.
_________________
"There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity." ~Jachra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 9765
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
The basic layout is done. The fields are set up. Just need to do some fine tuning and debugging. I was hoping to get some done today, but an unexpected trip to the ER wasted my day and left me not in a constructive frame of mind.

I will try to have the prototype done this week.

No rush on this volunteer effort. I hope everything is ok.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 1272
Location: Lost in the cracks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow, hopefully, I am going to give this another once over, and hopefully it is ready for me to recruit a couple of testers to take a look at it, play around with it, and make suggestions. Ran into a few issues here and there, and my need to ultimately make this 2 pages instead of one... but we will see.

Any volunteers? And how would I get you the forms to test?
_________________
"There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity." ~Jachra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 9765
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Tomorrow, hopefully, I am going to give this another once over, and hopefully it is ready for me to recruit a couple of testers to take a look at it, play around with it, and make suggestions. Ran into a few issues here and there, and my need to ultimately make this 2 pages instead of one... but we will see.

Any volunteers? And how would I get you the forms to test?

I'd love to be a tester. For the first time in many years, I actually have MLK Day off work.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 1272
Location: Lost in the cracks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prototype is ready for some testing and feedback. Those interested PM me and I will send a temporary link.

Edit: I only ask that those who test it keep in mind, this is my first attempt ever at making a fillable form of any kind and the skillset is completely new to me. I am learning as I go. So, while input is welcome, please do not be excessively critical. Constructive input and ideas are most helpful, what to add, what might need changed or removed. If permissible with the thread OP we can discuss it in this thread. Some things are limited by the software, some things I need yet to figure out.

I feel it is usable in it's current form, but far from perfect.
_________________
"There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity." ~Jachra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 9765
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok to discuss it here. I think it is a quite amazing first stab at making one of these!

I like your addition of more info on where the system is. I would combine your Location and Sector into one open-text field more generally named as Sector/Region. Open text because there are more places a planet/system could be that are not uncharted. And some regions in Star Wars aren't organized into sectors.

I like the additional gradients for Gravity.

I like the Terrain breakdown.

For Tech Level, I like how you addressed the WEG Space/Hyperspace discrepancy by having both options (and naming the latter Interstellar).

If you're able to left justify the open text fields, with a space after the colon or vertical line, I think that will look better.

Some of the drop-down and open text fields aren't horizontally lined up with the category text, so the selection/text renders high or low. If you are able to adjust that, that would look better.

If it would be easier to eliminate the drop-downs and have them all be open-text, that would be fine.

My test system completely filled up the system data at the bottom, and a couple of the moon fields (I think the 5th and 7th down) kept rendering my number entry as really tiny font size, 4, at first. But I kept fiddling with them eventually and got them to look like the rest (font size 8).
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 1272
Location: Lost in the cracks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I based this sheet on the Capsule for planets in the SW Writer's Style Guide as I did not have the sheet you referred to in the opening post. I did make some changes based on my own years of running various sci-fi games and in use in my own campaign as well as some things that were discussed in detail in various places here in the pit hoping they would be well received. I have always separated Interstellar tech from general space tech. I am glad you liked these changes.
Whill wrote:

I like your addition of more info on where the system is. I would combine your Location and Sector into one open-text field more generally named as Sector/Region. Open text because there are more places a planet/system could be that are not uncharted. And some regions in Star Wars aren't organized into sectors.

The Locations block should have options for Core, Inner Rim, Mid Rim, Outer Rim, and Uncharted Space - I have not kept up with Star Wars so if there were more options I apologize, I can happily add them. Sectors wa separate and as free text as I know actual sectors are not all defined, and player groups can make up there own. I could change it to Sector/Region, but I really would like to keep the local as in relation to core/rim too.

Quote:
I like the additional gradients for Gravity.
I like the Terrain breakdown.

The Gravity felt needed as the books generally assume gravity, but what about exotic locations (and what is a good space pulp adventure without truly exotic locations?). The multiple terrain issue was recently very active so I figured it best to include as an option. After all, for a planet like Tatooine one could always put "More Sand" and "Even more sand".

Quote:
If you're able to left justify the open text fields, with a space after the colon or vertical line, I think that will look better.

Some of the drop-down and open text fields aren't horizontally lined up with the category text, so the selection/text renders high or low. If you are able to adjust that, that would look better.

This is a problem I am trying to address as in the basic layout in Open Office it all looks lined up, but isn't. I am unsure if this is the result of the conversion to PDF, or the PDF viewer unpacking it, etc... Also, I tried keeping the borders on the various fields but then the text for both the drop-downs and the type in fields did not render properly when filling it out. It is something I will keep looking into.


Quote:
My test system completely filled up the system data at the bottom, and a couple of the moon fields (I think the 5th and 7th down) kept rendering my number entry as really tiny font size, 4, at first. But I kept fiddling with them eventually and got them to look like the rest (font size 8).


I am trying to replicate the text size issue but I cannot duplicate it. I will double check the master form, but I am thinking this might be a rendering issue with the software. I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 (an older version).

I was already thinking that this might need to be 2 pages, so I will make it 2 pages, and move the entire section of additional planets and moons and the capsule to page 2.
I wanted to add a text box after atmosphere for additional notes to allow a GM the option of describing exotic atmospheres, etc...
I had wanted to ad a drop down menu for Biosphere regarding animal life with a text section for description (a hold over from my sci-fi games). I did not as there is no coverage for this in Star Wars books and thought it may confuse end users (I do intend given the chance to make a more advanced version of this for general D6 Space or my D6 Galaxies project to be published OGL if I ever get the chance to finish it).

Whill, how many additional orbital bodies do you feel would be good? I do not have my planets collection handy so I forget how many there can be on the random charts (I had thought 10 would be good).
_________________
"There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity." ~Jachra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 9765
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 orbits are probably enough for most GMs. If you are going the two page route, you'll have plenty of room for more lines there and more space for a longer Capsule section.

Here are the main regions of the galaxy that have systems that are part of the Republic/Empire, from the Core out:

Core Worlds
Colonies
Inner Rim
Expansion Region
Mid Rim
Outer Rim Territories

Here are some other regions:

Deep Core
Unknown Regions
Wild Space
Rishi Maze
Other Satellite Galaxy
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 1272
Location: Lost in the cracks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
10 orbits are probably enough for most GMs. If you are going the two page route, you'll have plenty of room for more lines there and more space for a longer Capsule section.

Here are the main regions of the galaxy that have systems that are part of the Republic/Empire, from the Core out:

Core Worlds
Colonies
Inner Rim
Expansion Region
Mid Rim
Outer Rim Territories

Here are some other regions:

Deep Core
Unknown Regions
Wild Space
Rishi Maze
Other Satellite Galaxy

I will add these in if I have time tomorrow. I have a lot of medical appointments to deal with this week, so time will be short. I will continue working on this as I have time.

I also want to make a smaller, simplified planets log for planets/orbitals that should be noted but not as detailed or necessary as a main planet within a system.

I also would, at some point, like to make a fillable creatures log for important life forms in a planetary system. Though this may be over-ambitious.
_________________
"There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity." ~Jachra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0