The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WotC/"New OGL"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> WotC/"New OGL" Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banzaidyne wrote:

I’ve been playing and building a D6 port from the Heavy Gear setting for the last ten years. It would be different if I could find out what Nocturnal Media was doing (switching to the ORC, a CC license, whatever), but their being off the air is aggravating, to say the least.
I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread for news. Look forward to talking to you folks.

This sounds very interesting. Owning and having both played and run Heavy Gear (and Jovian Chronicles - collectively they are the Silhouette system) I would be very interested in what you do. I had borrowed some ideas from the HG perks and flaws on vehicles when I was attempting to revamp the D6 vehicle system back in the day.

Edit: - Also owned and played Project A-Ko (abridged version of same system). Good times.
Banzaidyne
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re interested, check it out at https://banzaidyne.wordpress.com/heavy-gear-d6/. Let me know what you think!

Jason "Banzai" English - "Dum Potes, Simiacule, Cachinna"
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banzaidyne wrote:
If you’re interested, check it out at https://banzaidyne.wordpress.com/heavy-gear-d6/. Let me know what you think!

I took a look at the main PDF and I really like what you've done with it. Very cool. Thanks for sharing your D6 game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Even while Stewart Wieck was still with us, Nocturnal Media didn't do anything with D6 except for license it to Gallant Knight for Zorro and license the WEG branding to FFG for use in the Star Wars 1e Anniversary reproduction. Now the NM website has gone offline so I wouldn't expect any word from them any time soon.

FFG reproduced WEG's SWRPG 1e??? Hardcover/physical books or ebooks/PDFs? i'd never heard of it...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is devoted to a dead D6 game. This site supports, but is not devoted to, OpenD6. This site is in no danger.

Three statements from WotC, with links directly to the original sources on WotC's own website:

Whill wrote:
Now, to address the fear many have, the last two official statements from WotC:

After the OGL debacle, WotC wrote:
"Content already released under 1.0a will also remain unaffected."

"And again, any content you have already published under OGL 1.0a will still always be licensed under OGL 1.0a."

The second one is from WotC's new statement today. The war is over but we should never trust the enemy tyrant again. Now it is time for 'economic sanctions' against them.

The OGL 1.0a is also in no danger, so OpenD6 is in no danger. I still can't find any lawyers on YouTube who ever said OpenD6 was in danger.

The below quote is from an official statement from WotC on Friday.

WotC wrote:
These live survey results are clear. You want OGL 1.0a. You want irrevocability. You like Creative Commons.

The feedback is in such high volume and its direction is so plain that we're acting now.

1. We are leaving OGL 1.0a in place, as is. Untouched.
2. We are also making the entire SRD 5.1 available under a Creative Commons license.
3. You choose which you prefer to use.

This Creative Commons license makes the content freely available for any use. We don't control that license and cannot alter or revoke it. It's open and irrevocable in a way that doesn't require you to take our word for it. And its openness means there's no need for a VTT policy. Placing the SRD under a Creative Commons license is a one-way door. There's no going back.

WotC did a 180 so fast they must be dizzy. This is pure PR damage control. This will reduce some of the noise against them, but I hope it doesn't eliminate it. Hasbro WotC does not deserve a reward for doing the right thing only after they got caught with their pants down and experiencing massive community outrage.

After updating the forum guidelines to disallow legal threats and fear-mongering here, this update should drive the final nail in the coffin of any remaining inkling any of you have to do so. I am still disturbed that a few have gone there. Just. don't.

An Endor Victory Celebration video you may enjoy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
FFG reproduced WEG's SWRPG 1e??? Hardcover/physical books or ebooks/PDFs? i'd never heard of it...

They are two beautiful physical books in a box set. See below for info and images.

WEG SW RPG 30th Anniversary Edition
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That news out of WOTC is...surprising.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

They are two beautiful physical books in a box set. See below for info and images.

WEG SW RPG 30th Anniversary Edition

Thank you, Whill! For this, the WotC/OGL info & the "An Endor Victory Celebration video you may enjoy."
I most thoroughly did!
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Banzaidyne
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Banzaidyne wrote:

I took a look at the main PDF and I really like what you've done with it. Very cool. Thanks for sharing your D6 game.

Thanks, glad you like it.
Another reader convinced me to make the same treatment for Jovian Chronicles (another Dream Pod 9 property mentioned upthread). It’s Mobile Suit Gundam with the names changed to protect the innocent. Very Happy I’ll probably start it this fall.
I’ll let you know how it goes!

Jason "Banzai" English - "Dum Potes, Simiacule, Cachinna"
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't seen the new D&D movie but I just found out it is on Paramount+ so I can watch it on an existing subscription I already have without paying a dime for the movie itself. I'll try to watch it sometime soon.

So I guess the latest controversy game fans are enraged about is that WotC announced they are raising the price of their already expensive physical books by 20%...

This price increase has zero effect on you if you don't buy it in the first place.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Open RPG Creative Reply with quote

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-creators-of-pathfinder-have-released-their-own-version-of-dandds-controversial-ogland-it-could-have-a-huge-impact-on-all-tabletop-rpgs/

The new Open RPG Creative License ("ORC") has been submitted the US Library of Congress as a 'public domain' type of thing. Unlike WotC's OGL, ORC is not owned or controlled by Paizo or any other commercial entities. ORC and a Q&A type of document are linked below.

ORC LICENSE
ORC Answers & Explanations

Paizo, and a whole syndicate of several other game companies, have declared their intention to begin moving away from OGL/D&D mechanics. They will instead co-create a new base game system that will be truly open under ORC and have absolutely nothing to do with WotC/OGL/D&D.

And to briefly recap some history leading to this:
    (1) It is captured in the Wayback Machine web archive that in recent year's, WotC's own website proclaimed they cannot undo the existing OGL.

(2) As a result of the intense industry/fan backlash to the leaked plans for Hasbro-WotC's new OGL, this year WotC officially retracted plans to create a revised OGL. The new OGL is DOA, and the existing OGL remains unaffected.

(3) All of this has absolutely nothing to do with OpenD6, the D6 system, WEG Star Wars, or the Rancor Pit. But it may be of interest to gamers and the gaming community in general.

(4) WotC re-released its 5e game system under a Creative Commons license, giving the D&D-licensing industry the option to use it under the OGL or the Creative Commons license.
It is notable that only the current D&D edition has a non-OGL option, while the older editions all remain OGL-only. It is an obvious attempt to herd creators concerned about the "tainted" OGL toward 5e, which itself is an evolution away from Pathfinder's 3e-based game system. WotC clearly still feels other publishers making games using D&D's current system will help support them. Well, they no longer have to worry about Paizo making so much money using WotC's free game system and license, because Paizo will eventually stop producing products with the OGL or in any way related to D&D. I hope that the syndicate's new ORC-backed game system is far superior to D&D and that Pathfinder 3rd edition outsells D&D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathfinder stripped every last trace of D&D from its new rulebooks

I was quite surprised to learn that Paizo released the first two books of its 4-book core for the new non-OGL version of Pathfinder last week: Pathfinder Player Core and Pathfinder GM Core.

Quote:
When proposed changes to the Dungeons & Dragons Open Gaming License leaked in January, Paizo chief creative officer and publisher Erik Mona said the news drove a stake through the heart of the company’s release schedule for all of 2023.
“Within a couple weeks of the OGL crisis happening, we started two projects. One was the Pathfinder Remaster project which would align the rules away from OGL derivatives and the other was a new open gaming framework.”
“I wanted to create an environment for greater collaboration, inspiration and innovation and give publishers peace of mind that the rug is not going to be pulled out from under them,” Mona said. “We got the input of more than 1,000 publishers that gave us a tremendous amount of insight into what was important to them.”

The third remastered core book, a book of monsters, is expected in March, and the fourth, a second player handbook with all the classes not in the first one, is coming out Gen Con 2024.

I am seriously impressed that as soon as the crisis started, they chucked their 2023 release schedule and began working on a completely d20-free version of the game. Less than a year and it's here!

Quote:
The ability score numbers originally devised by rolling three six-sided dice have been stripped away and replaced with attributes of -5 to +5, the modifiers commonly used in D&D. It’s a rule change first used in the Pathfinder Beginner Box to make the game more accessible.

“Why have complexity that adds nothing to the system?” Mona asked.

Indeed, but why are you just removing that complexity now?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use D6. It's just better.

That could be our slogan
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasbro is laying off 1,100 employees due to a bad year that is not picking up enough post-Thanksgiving. My heart goes out to the employees losing their jobs before Christmas.

Kytross wrote:
Use D6. It's just better.

That could be our slogan

I like it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: