The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Teaching & learning with tabletop RPGs? I'm pushing for
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Teaching & learning with tabletop RPGs? I'm pushing for
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject: Teaching & learning with tabletop RPGs? I'm pushing for Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted anything on here. Mostly because I barely have time to run anything because I've been teaching English for the last several year. Once upon a time I ran Star Wars D6 for my son when he was in high school, now he's doing internship at a university. I don't even have time to draw for fun.

So I've been trying to run RPGs for my students for English speaking activity, and over the last couple of years I think I want to push this as an official thing for me: consulting with high schools and universities on using RPGs as tools for teaching and learning.

I've started a YouTube channel for it and if you have any interest in RPGs in education, please feel free to check it out and/or subscribe!

Here's the intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa91mnUtJYQ

BONUS LINK! Blog post of that time I ran Star Wars D6 in class: https://hishgraphics.com/swd6-the-battle-of-corulag-instance-b/

Last edited by hisham on Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Hish..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching & learning with tabletop RPGs? Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
I barely have time to run anything because I've been teaching English for the last several year. Once upon a time I ran Star Wars D6 for my son when he was in high school, now he's doing internship at a university. I don't even have time to draw for fun.

So I've been trying to run RPGs for my students for English speaking activity, and over the last couple of years I think I want to push this as an official thing for me: consulting with high schools and universities on using RPGs as tools for teaching and learning.

I've started a YouTube channel for it and if you have any interest in RPGs in education, please feel free to check it out and/or subscribe!

Here's the intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa91mnUtJYQ

BONUS LINK! Blog post of that time I ran Star Wars D6 in class: https://hishgraphics.com/swd6-the-battle-of-corulag-instance-b/

I've thought it was so awesome that you use RPGs as a tool for teaching English! How cool is that? Liked and subscribed. Thanks for sharing here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you guys!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you the best of luck and more power to you. The Social acceptability of RPGs seems to ebb and flow. In the 80's when I started playing they were being portrayed on the national scale as a vile tool of the devil that would lead to cults and devil worship. Amazingly, the local perception was not so bad (and I grew up in a very heavily Catholic New England city like you might see in a Steven King film). Locally RPG were generally ignored, and there were stores openly selling them and people playing them. My parents were fine with it because it involved organizational skills, reading, writing, and one of the early games I played was Math Heavy (the Palladium system... yeah, when you need to invent NEW damage classes to abbreviate the damage numbers, you may be engaged in serious Stat bloat). RPGs can help with developing language and communication skills, and general social skills as well. They provide numerous opportunities for use in an educational setting that can be fun and creative. Sadly, local acceptance of RPGs was not so nice that the local school would allow an after school club...resulted in them contacting my parents out of "fear" because the administrators bought in to all the garbage being shovelled in national news about RPGs. I survived and so did my gaming group. We never once turned into a cult...or tried to summon a demon. We did drink a lot of kool-aid though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
RPGs can help with developing language and communication skills, and general social skills as well. They provide numerous opportunities for use in an educational setting that can be fun and creative.

WAY back in the early 90s, when i was stationed at fleet training center Orlando, i tried setting Up a gaming club on base using the base's MWR, and some of the key points i used, when talking it over WITH the base as for "why it should fit", was
A) it develops social skills
B) it develops math and reading/writing
C) develops Team work and team building
D) develops problem solving..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity i transferred up to the chicago area, at FTC great mistakes, before i saw the 'formation' come to fruition.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, hisham! You're doing fantastic work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: