The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1E dodge/parry resolution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> 1E dodge/parry resolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelangelo
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: 1E dodge/parry resolution Reply with quote

I just want a sanity check on this. In 1E when you dodge or parry, does that resolve in order, or resolve immediately? So at base difficulty 10 if your dodge is 6 and the shooter rolls a 10, does the dodge not resolve at all because you rolled lower? Does the shooter have to beat a 16 or a 10? Thanks.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHat do you mean 'resolve in order or immediately"?

As for the TN, if i am shooting someone, and they reactively dodge, THEIR Dodge roll SETS my new TN. SO if say he rolls a six, and the normal TN would have been 10 for range, i now only need to beat a six or better to hit him. IF he's doing a full dodge, Both add together, and that's what i now need to beat.
Michelangelo
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I mean that normally actions resolve in the order of highest roll goes first, and second action may not happen. So if player A rolls a 15 blaster and player B rolls a 5 dodge, does the dodge “not happen” since a 15 beats a 5? Or does it happen immediately (before the shot) and mean that player A has to beat a 15?
(I am talking about original 1E where there is no “full dodge” rule so all dodges are added to the base difficulty, they don’t replace it. )
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1E dodge/parry resolution Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
WHat do you mean 'resolve in order or immediately"?

As for the TN, if i am shooting someone, and they reactively dodge, THEIR Dodge roll SETS my new TN. SO if say he rolls a six, and the normal TN would have been 10 for range, i now only need to beat a six or better to hit him. IF he's doing a full dodge, Both add together, and that's what i now need to beat.

"1E". He is talking about 1e combat and dodging which is different that what you are describing...

Michelangelo wrote:
I just want a sanity check on this. In 1E when you dodge or parry, does that resolve in order, or resolve immediately? So at base difficulty 10 if your dodge is 6 and the shooter rolls a 10, does the dodge not resolve at all because you rolled lower? Does the shooter have to beat a 16 or a 10? Thanks.

The dodge rolls effect the outcome (hit or miss) per the rules, but the value of the dodge roll itself does not do anything to reorder events within an action segment. The order is based on the action rolls, not the reaction rolls. See the below thread for reference on the combat rounds of all editions.

https://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8646

This is really another example of why the 1e combat round is so wonky. It is my contention that 1e would function better with the 2eR&E combat round and dodge rules.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelangelo wrote:
Thanks for your reply, I mean that normally actions resolve in the order of highest roll goes first, and second action may not happen. So if player A rolls a 15 blaster and player B rolls a 5 dodge, does the dodge “not happen” since a 15 beats a 5? Or does it happen immediately (before the shot) and mean that player A has to beat a 15?
(I am talking about original 1E where there is no “full dodge” rule so all dodges are added to the base difficulty, they don’t replace it. )

What you are actually talking about in 1e, is contested blaster rolls. Two foes each roll their blaster skill, the higher roll is resolved first. If that higher blaster roll hits and does a Wound damage or better, then that is resolved immediately and the second combatant is considered not to have fired, and the first combatant will not be in danger of damage.

This does NOT extend to the reactive Dodge roll. As garhkal stated, the dodge sets the actual difficulty to hit. A low dodge roll is essentially bad luck, but it doesn't mean it never takes place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: