The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cut WEG Sourcebooks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Cut WEG Sourcebooks Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would probably have to look even farther. At this point we do not know who owns the stories. They may have been sold to WEG, WotC, Lucasfilm, or they may remain the property of the authors. The latter is the most likely. In that case, any one of the stories' authors could come after you as well.

The "lost" adventure journals are just too legally dangerous to touch.
Darth Ebriate
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*lovingly strokes his framed piece of original Joe Corroney artwork from AJ #16*

My Precious....

DE
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
We would probably have to look even farther. At this point we do not know who owns the stories. They may have been sold to WEG, WotC, Lucasfilm, or they may remain the property of the authors. The latter is the most likely. In that case, any one of the stories' authors could come after you as well.

The "lost" adventure journals are just too legally dangerous to touch.

I'm pretty sure the authors don't own anything they create for Star Wars. Some contracts may possibly have included a condition where the authors get paid royalties if their work ever gets commercially published and makes profit, but Lucas still completely owns the rights to it.

Of course, that alone should be reason not to mess with it. I agree with your conclusion completely.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was doing writing for a magazine, I retained certain rights the material that I wrote. Generally authors retain the right to grant or deny permission to reprint an article in a different publication, particularly one that is not owned by the original editor or publisher.

Unless the authors signed a contract with WEG signing over their rights, then I would expect it to be the same.

Ergo, I'm really hesitant to touch these.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, accept, and don't doubt your experience with magazines, and in general. But have you ever written an article for an official Lucasfilm publication? Lucas maintains a tight grip on everything published with the Star Wars name on it. Lucas even goes as far as owning the rights to the terms "lightsaber" and "droid" for example. Look it up if you don't believe me. Trust me, the only Star Wars material that WEG still owns the rights to is the text purely describing game mechanics. So authors that were hired by WEG to write Star Wars material also signed over the rights, like WEG did in their license with Lucasfilm.

This was also confirmed by Eric Gibson, the current owner of WEG, who knows a little bit about the history of the business.

And of course, this is reason enough not to mess around with Star Wars stuff. Lucas doesn't play around with stuff he owns the rights to. I think we are lucky to even be able to have this wonderful (non-profit) Star Wars website, so I don't begrudge Lucas at all for his ownership. It's his backyard and I'm very happy he let's me play in it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still would be interesting to try and get Lucasfilm's direct and official take on the unreleased SWAJ material. Perhaps if they received enough requests, they might publish some or all of it via their online Hyperspace site, as they have in some cases, or they might prompt WotC to incorporate it into their D20 materials.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I understand, accept, and don't doubt your experience with magazines, and in general. But have you ever written an article for an official Lucasfilm publication? Lucas maintains a tight grip on everything published with the Star Wars name on it. Lucas even goes as far as owning the rights to the terms "lightsaber" and "droid" for example. Look it up if you don't believe me. Trust me, the only Star Wars material that WEG still owns the rights to is the text purely describing game mechanics. So authors that were hired by WEG to write Star Wars material also signed over the rights, like WEG did in their license with Lucasfilm.

This was also confirmed by Eric Gibson, the current owner of WEG, who knows a little bit about the history of the business.

And of course, this is reason enough not to mess around with Star Wars stuff. Lucas doesn't play around with stuff he owns the rights to. I think we are lucky to even be able to have this wonderful (non-profit) Star Wars website, so I don't begrudge Lucas at all for his ownership. It's his backyard and I'm very happy he let's me play in it.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I also don't see our points as mutually exclusive. The authors own the story, and lucasfilm owns that which is distinctively Star Wars. Really, that makes it doubly dangerous to touch. In such cases of IP, it makes it really hard to reprint anything because you have to worry about two people suing you, instead of one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: