The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gaming Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Gaming Music Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought all the official score CDs for the movies, and bought a small CD player to put in the gaming room, just for the Star Wars game. I can't tell you how great it is! We always designate one player to be in charge of the music so the work isn't all on the GM to change CDs ect. Just like Gry Sarth said, my group always recognizes those moments where the soundtrack perfectly matches the action in the game. Someone will say "Wow that's the perfect music for this!" and everyone gets a little bit more immersed in the game. Course, we also have the opposite moments on occasion, where the Death star battle music is raging while the PCs are on a shooping trip to buy turnips or something. But even then, we all get a laugh out of it and it's still fun. I reccomend this 100% for all Star Wars RPG gamers!!

On a side note, a friend of mine who is really into sound editing software once made me a CD of "background noise" for the game. It was a CD with looping tracks of background sounds. He made one for a spaceport that had spaceships landing, droids walking around, general spaceport sounds and all sorts of stuff that we could play during the game whenever the group was at a spaceport. Then he had a track for a cantina that had cantina music that was made tinny like from an ancient jukebox, and alien sounds and bar table chitchat and sounds of drinks and plates being moved around. He actually several cantina tracks, one for a "high class joint" one for a seedy dive, and one for a open air cafe. And he made ship sounds for playing while the group was on board a ship, like buzzes and beeps and stuff with engine noise quietly in the background. That CD was so awesome that I played it until it broke, and now I lost contact with my friend. I'm almost at the point where I have enough willpower to remake it though. I've started searching for a way to get lucasfilm sound archives but so far my searches have turned up negative. Might need to just take my sound recording gear to the bar this weekend! I'll tell my wife that it's for "game research"....

Scott
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone else has seen the mp3s available at the following site, which appears to include some previously unreleased and rare Original Trilogy music:

http://www.freewebs.com/maxreboband/

Tracks 3 and 4 are attempts to reconstruct the apparently lost "Sail Barge Dance" piece heard a couple times in ROJ and on the "From Star Wars to Jedi" (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Ub-fAqqjU). These might make nice background pieces for certain settings.

Tracks 9 and 10 are the rare alternate versions of Lapti Nek from the Collectors' Edition 45 rpm record.

Just thought some of you might be interested.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. I'd always wondered what happened to all that "missing" music.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also been looking for this lost track for some time - it's not a perfect edit - there are breaks and missing segments - but I'm impressed they were able to extract as much as they did from the source materials, editing out the dialogue and other sounds.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that for anyone using background music, there are several non-Star Wars albums out there by Williams that contain tracks that are very Star Wars-esque (yes, I know that's not a word).

A few examples:
From the "Dracula" CD
Track 1 (Main Title) - great villain theme
Track 3 (To Scarborough) - very nice chase/space battle music

From "E.T"
Track 3 (Far From Home) - at about 2:37 on this track, there is a theme very much like "The Dark Side Beckons" music from the climatic Luke-Vader battle at the end of ROJ. Also, at about 3:50, the "Keys" music would make a very good bad guy theme.

From "The Patriot"
Track 10 (Tavington's Trap) - absolutely great battle theme - rivals any of the battle music in the trilogies, and feels very Star Wars appropriate.
Track 13 (The Parish Church Aflame) - this is right out of the immolation scene in ROTS.

These are just a few examples. It would be fun to make a more complete list. It's great that Williams has such a large repertoire of great movie music!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else has seen the mp3s available at the following site, which appears to include some previously unreleased and rare Original Trilogy music:

http://www.freewebs.com/maxreboband/

Tracks 3 and 4 are attempts to reconstruct the apparently lost "Sail Barge Dance" piece heard a couple times in ROJ and on the "From Star Wars to Jedi" (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Ub-fAqqjU). These might make nice background pieces for certain settings.

Tracks 9 and 10 are the rare alternate versions of Lapti Nek from the Collectors' Edition 45 rpm record.

Just thought some of you might be interested.

Thanks! I didn't have some of this.

Red 331 wrote:
Just wanted to mention that for anyone using background music, there are several non-Star Wars albums out there by Williams that contain tracks that are very Star Wars-esque (yes, I know that's not a word).

That is a word in my book. I also accept Star-Warsish as well. Smile

Red 331 wrote:
A few examples:
From the "Dracula" CD
Track 1 (Main Title) - great villain theme
Track 3 (To Scarborough) - very nice chase/space battle music

Wow, from what I've seen on Amazon and eBay, the Dracula (1979) soundtrack is very expensive on CD. I have the soundtrack on vinyl (and the movie on VHS), and I agree with your suggested tracks. I'm still waiting to get lucky and find the CD at Half-Price books for $7.98 or something.

Red 331 wrote:
From "E.T"
Track 3 (Far From Home) - at about 2:37 on this track, there is a theme very much like "The Dark Side Beckons" music from the climatic Luke-Vader battle at the end of ROJ. Also, at about 3:50, the "Keys" music would make a very good bad guy theme.

From "The Patriot"
Track 10 (Tavington's Trap) - absolutely great battle theme - rivals any of the battle music in the trilogies, and feels very Star Wars appropriate...

These are just a few examples. It would be fun to make a more complete list. It's great that Williams has such a large repertoire of great movie music!

Thanks for these suggestions too. When I have time to gather them I may post some other suggestions.

Red 331 wrote:
"The Patriot"... Track 13 (The Parish Church Aflame) - this is right out of the immolation scene in ROTS.

Actually, "The Immolation Scene" music (2005) is right out of "The Parish Church Aflame" (2000). Wink In defense of the later production, Anakin's Immolation may have some roots in the Church Aflame music, but it only takes the basic premise and then deeply intensifies it, IMO. The Immolation is even more emotional and tragic-sounding. I'd really hate to be roleplaying in an adventure that music is suitable for. Wow, immensly sad and horrific.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the soundtracks for years, an Ipod or laptop really help play the music exactly where you want it. I remember how bad @$$ my players thought they were jacking up some Imps. I started the music for an epic change, and duel of the fates start blasting out, and I proclaimed, the Blast door on the end of the hall suddenly jerks open, and a dark shrouded robe wrapped figure strolls down the hall!

I remember one of my player's, mouth dropping open and muttering Oh NO!!! and another blurting I COMBAT DODGE!!! screw that, I run!!

I unleashed Mara Jade on them, they got thrashed it was great!

The music really added to the dramatic moment.

and That is why you fail...
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMgreatness wrote:
I have used the soundtracks for years, an Ipod or laptop really help play the music exactly where you want it. I remember how bad @$$ my players thought they were jacking up some Imps. I started the music for an epic change, and duel of the fates start blasting out, and I proclaimed, the Blast door on the end of the hall suddenly jerks open, and a dark shrouded robe wrapped figure strolls down the hall!

I remember one of my player's, mouth dropping open and muttering Oh NO!!! and another blurting I COMBAT DODGE!!! screw that, I run!!

I unleashed Mara Jade on them, they got thrashed it was great!

The music really added to the dramatic moment.

I had a similar experience when I ran the 1E module Scavenger Hunt, but back then it was playing the cassette tape of TESB soundtrack. I queued it up to the music where Luke goes into the dark side cave on Dagabah and has his vision of Vader, and played it with a carefully times speak when the Rebels get to Vader's quarters on the Death Star fragment and open the closet. It really helped enhance the mood when the players all thought Vader's helmet and cloak was Vader himself. Of course this was a "psych" moment but I loved to watch the look of the players' faces and thoroughly enjoyed all the wild PC actions that got declared.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camero wrote:
I ran an introductory campagin the other day for couple of friends who were new to RPGs but knew Star Wars (one much better than the other) and Williams musical scores were great for getting them into the feel of it. I used the Fox fanfare and orignial opening tract to begin the game as I explained what their mission was and they all really seemed to like it. It was instant immersion in the mood. Gaming Music is a great tool.

A lot of modern composers diss Williams for being to pop culture and low-brow to be real classical music, but his scorse and compositions will be alive and welll listened to for years and years after his nay-sayers are dead gone and forgotten. John Williams is GREAT!

GREAT, he is. I'm a major JW fan and and a film score fan in general, but I've not heard about other composers dissing JW. That would seem like extreme professional discourtesy, and would come off sounding a lot like petty jealousy as JW is the most successful in the industry. I'd be interested in hearing who dissed JW, because I want to laugh at them for being stupid enough to let those feelings become publicly known.

masque wrote:
One of the few things that I have no complaints about in the prequel trilogy is the score, John Williams always comes correct. The music works great in the background, and I found it can be particularly effective as a mood setter since the prequel music doesn't seem to be as hardwired in SW fans minds as the Holy Trilogy score... Flawed as the flicks are, Williams is a genius.

Always come correct, he does. Genius, he is. Even though I'm not of the consensus here that the prequels totally suck, I have to agree with you on these points in general. The "holy" trilogy music is so so frakkin' awesome in the first place, and then JW does it again three more times for the prequels. The music of the prequels is just as awesome. As a fan of the music, maybe that's what carries me through the utter 'ugh' moments of some of Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman's poorly directed performances in some scenes from AotC and RotS. (Yes that's right, Lucas fanboy #1 here just cracked on Lucas' ability to direct human actors - he's not completely perfect. Wink )

Gry Sarth wrote:
And what screws it all up is albums that are very quiet at one moment and very loud another, like the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack. So we're contantly going "Turn that thing up, I can't hear a thing", and then "Turn that thing down, I can't hear a thing!".

I agree! I really love the SotE soundtrack musically, but it annoys me that the volume goes so low in some points, even for non-game listening. But overall, IMO it is still good for gaming because it's ok that it fades into the background and can't be heard at times. You can game without music, so those low points are just like those times. It's supposed to just be background mood music, not something that players are supposed to be actively listening to anyway. If a player told me, "Turn it up, I can't hear it," I would probably say "Pay attention to the game."

masque wrote:
One thing I noticed the other night while running my game was a trick Williams did. For Anakin's theme music, he took the Imperial March and reversed it. I didn't pick up on until I was listening to the "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" music from Ep. III, since that has Anakin's Theme and the Imperial Theme together.

An example of JW's true genius, it is true that Anakin's Theme from TPM is simply based directly on Imperial March, just as the celebration music from the end of TPM is simply based directly on the Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious' Theme. I hear the epic Battle of Heroes (Anakin vs. Obi-Wan in RotS) as a new theme that is a more direct love child of Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) and The Force/Obi-Wan's theme. Both of those classic trilogy themes are used as counterpoints in the Battle of the Heroes to illustrate the struggle between those themes. Genius. Even Across the Stars (Anakin and Padme's love theme from AotC) was also a new offspring from Imperial March.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: