The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Riot Troopers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Riot Troopers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just doing a little research for a project that grimace and myself have been working on and stumbled across these two links. One is a Riot Clone Trooper, the second is Riot Stormtrooper.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Riot_clone_trooper

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Riot_trooper

After spending a little time looking, I wasnt able to find any other references to troops trained specifically to handle riots.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: re: Riot troopers Reply with quote

They do use melee weapons and the clone war era trooper does use a shield.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the "Imperial Riot Trooper" is that they are trained at the academy where the Imperial Royal Guard are trained, a place that's supposed to be a secret training ground for the elite of the elite.

Leave it to Force Unleashed to take a big dump all over everything.

Last edited by Raven Redstar on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
The only problem with the "Imperial Riot Trooper" is that it's trained at the academy where the Imperial Royal Guard are trained. A place that's supposed to be a secret training ground for the elite of the elite.

Leave it to Force Unleashed to take a big dump all over everything.

No kidding. I'd probably stick with just the Clone Riot Troopers. Althought considering the use I'd like to put them to, I might call them shield troopers instead of riot troopers.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually a cool idea that I'd love to see implemented in the game. There are several situations where imperial troops (maybe not stormtroopers, but possibly, if that's the flavor you're looking for) would need this kind of option. The detention block on the Death Star, for example, would certainly have troops trained and equipped for riot control.

One of the most "fun" things about detention/corrections work is forced cell movement. When a combative prisoner needs to be moved from his cell to another location for whatever reason, the troopers would have to enter his cell forcefully and subdue him.

The first guy in would use a shield and pin him up against the wall. This guy is usually the strongest one in the movement team. Another two guys will each secure an arm and restrain it with cuffs or whatever. Legs may also need to be restrained and this can be done by a forth and possibly fifth guy.

Now, given that these are imperial troops, you could add in all kinds of goodies that regular corrections officers save for the really nasty inmates: tasers, stun batons, etc... and you could even come up with your own devices: shock/choke collars, cattle prods etc...

As for using these techniques/equipment in battle, it's a bit of a stretch in my mind, unless the purpose is very specific and pre-planned. For example, if the Imperial troops know that the PCs are coming (especially if the PCs think they haven't been compromised) and they're met at the front door by a bunch of heavily armored stormtroopers with shields, heavy blaster pistols and shock batons, with a 2nd row of scatter guns (shotguns somewhere in the range of 6D short ranged damage), fired from over the shoulders of the first row, it would provide a really unique and memorable play experience. The shields would have to be very hard to crack with conventional blaster fire, however.

You'd also need at least a couple of marksman observers who are "holding their actions" to pick off anyone who takes out a grenade or comes up with a way to defeat/get around the shields.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I realize it's a little impractical, but we play in the SWU, where impractical things happen all the time so long as they look cool. A really nasty trick would be if the shields were also impervious to lightsabers...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're going to be impervious to lightsabers, you'd need a really good excuse in order to help the players maintain suspension of disbelief ("well... they just happen to be immune to lightsabers... even though they don't even know what a lightsaber is..." yeah... that wouldn't go over too well).

Maybe the second row guys could have grenade launchers that to shoot at the PCs with, rendering the lightsabers less useful. Some kind of tear gas or even poison gas could throw a wrench in the PCs' plans.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
If they're going to be impervious to lightsabers, you'd need a really good excuse in order to help the players maintain suspension of disbelief ("well... they just happen to be immune to lightsabers... even though they don't even know what a lightsaber is..." yeah... that wouldn't go over too well).

Well, it's the SWU, so energy projection technology is pretty widespread. Maybe the shield is a lightweight metal frame that serves as a waveguide for a force field that covers the surface, like a magnetic seal or the Gungan body shields in TPM. It'd be perfect for a lightweight device that reflects blaster bolts to also be effective against an energy melee weapon like a lightsaber. After all, a shield that is effective against energy attacks will be effective against a lightsaber as well, regardless of whether or not the person holding the shield has ever heard of a lightsaber before or not.

Quote:
Maybe the second row guys could have grenade launchers that to shoot at the PCs with, rendering the lightsabers less useful. Some kind of tear gas or even poison gas could throw a wrench in the PCs' plans.

I allow Jedi to use TK as a reaction skill to defend against thrown grenades, and an advanced TK skill to parry or deflect launched grenades. After all, just because WEG implied that it can't be done has never been sufficient reason for me.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never caught the mention that it's not supposed to be possible to TK a thrown grenade mid-air. We do it all the time. Another favorite is to just use TK pull the pin on a grenade that's just hanging on the bandoleer.

Still, I'd rule that a grenade launched from a launcher would be just as difficult to TK as a bullet fired from a gun. The muzzle velocity isn't as fast as a bullet, but it's certainly fast enough that you can't track it with your eyes.

And I suppose that if destroyer droids are available in the Rebellion Era, there's no reason why an elite squad of stormtroopers can't have personal shield thingies. But in order to actually be useful, they'd need one heck of a parry skill (even if the shield provides a bonus) considering a moderately skilled Jedi is rolling 10D plus to hit.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Never caught the mention that it's not supposed to be possible to TK a thrown grenade mid-air. We do it all the time. Another favorite is to just use TK pull the pin on a grenade that's just hanging on the bandoleer.

The reasoning people use is that in the 2R&E handbook, there is a short list of various skills that may be used as reaction skills, but no Force skills are listed (including Lightsaber Combat, although Lightsaber is mentioned). Because of that omission, people have stated it was intentional to keep Jedi from using their Force powers as reaction skills and keep them "balanced out" with non-FS characters. It's not something I agree with, as the Force in the films and novels does not behave according to the rules laid out by WEG.

And yes, the grenade pin trick is a nice one. Of course, if you use it, you run the risk of certain members of this forum telling you it's a DSP action because you run the risk of injuring someone standing near the unfortunate grenade bearer who wasn't actually shooting at you.

Quote:
Still, I'd rule that a grenade launched from a launcher would be just as difficult to TK as a bullet fired from a gun. The muzzle velocity isn't as fast as a bullet, but it's certainly fast enough that you can't track it with your eyes.

Since LSC allows a Jedi with a lightsaber to react against a blaster bolt, I made up a house rule Control, Sense & Alter power called Telekinetic Combat that allows the Jedi to use the same reflexes as Lightsaber Combat, but with Telekinesis as the weapon, so he can use it to knock grenade launcher rounds or other bullets out of the air.

Quote:
And I suppose that if destroyer droids are available in the Rebellion Era, there's no reason why an elite squad of stormtroopers can't have personal shield thingies. But in order to actually be useful, they'd need one heck of a parry skill (even if the shield provides a bonus) considering a moderately skilled Jedi is rolling 10D plus to hit.

Well, if you have a shield that blocks blaster bolts, it makes it rather difficult for a Jedi to deflect your own blaster bolts back at you to hit and do damage. Plus, the chances of successfully parrying something increase exponentially when you have a broad surface to parry with instead of a narrow beam of light like a lightsaber.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
After spending a little time looking, I wasnt able to find any other references to troops trained specifically to handle riots.
Have you seen the Clone Wars third season episodes The Citadel, Counterattack, and Citadel Rescue? They featured commando droids armed with shields having a gunport. The shields seemed blaster proof though not, I think, lightsaber proof.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Have you seen the Clone Wars third season episodes The Citadel, Counterattack, and Citadel Rescue? They featured commando droids armed with shields having a gunport. The shields seemed blaster proof though not, I think, lightsaber proof.

I remember that. It might even have been part of the impetus for starting this topic in the first place. I'll have to go back and watch those episodes again to see how well they hold up against lightsabers...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've just been airing on Cartoon Network. I watched the second of the three episodes last Friday - so I'm guessing the third episode should show up next Friday.

The Commando droids used magnetized feet to nerf the force push power. Pretty funny - but don't tell garhkal, he'll want to add magnetic shoes to elite stormtroopers to foil the Jedi during the Civil War. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
The Commando droids used magnetized feet to nerf the force push power. Pretty funny - but don't tell garhkal, he'll want to add magnetic shoes to elite stormtroopers to foil the Jedi during the Civil War. :lol:

LOL. Hey, if I'm going to propose generally increasing the power of Jedi by rewriting the Force rules, then who am I to stand in the way of anti-Jedi forces having nasty tech to counter them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: