The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: TRoS/ST Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I think a solid 50% of my positive feelings towards it was just me trying not to be a stereotyped angry fan.

I can sympathize with that. There are definitely some positives I genuinely liked about the movie. In person I've only talked about the movie with my immediate family and a couple friends. I have hardly read any internet fan responses outside of this thread, but I catch myself thinking some very stereotypical 'fan rant' things that have been expressed about previous movies.

From 1983 to 2015, the film saga was concluded. The prequels (including Solo and RO) do not take anything away from the original conclusion of RotJ. The saga was unresolved in 2015 when it was established that not long after Palpatine was defeated a new evil Empire had risen, Han and Leia had separated, Anakin Skywalker's grandson had turned to the Dark Side and destroyed Luke's new Jedi order, and Luke had gone into exile not unlike Yoda. And TRoS un-resolves RotJ more than TFA alone had. For the last four years I have defended the ST, holding on to hope that the final episode could make un-resolving the film saga for the sake of the story extension worthwhile.

Now that the ST is complete, IMO the extension does not make undoing the saga's original resolution worthwhile. I can enjoy aspects of the ST films for their own merits, but the film saga as a whole is better without the ST than with it. I understand I was not really owed anything. I know the ST can be ignored, and I will ignore it. But I feel like my fandom and loyalty to the Disney franchise has been outright betrayed by TRoS. It sounds overly dramatic to say that, but I can't help that I feel that way a little bit. Thankfully, at least my childhood is still intact and unmolested by the present.

TauntaunScout wrote:
The more time that passes since I saw The Rise of Skywalker, the less I like it. I won't be seeing it again or buying a hardcopy.

I plan on seeing TRoS one more time in the theater, which will still be less total theatrical viewings for me than all other Star Wars films.

Not only will I not be buying a hardcopy of TRoS, but I will also be getting rid of my current hardcopies of TFA and TLJ. Now TFA is my wife's favorite Star Wars film, and my family enjoys the whole ST more overall than I do (even though they have some of the same issues with them that I have), but TFA and TLJ are on Disney+ and TRoS will join them someday. I still enjoy TFA on a standalone basis because it is a well-crafted modern reprise of my favorite movie that I've seen well over 100 times, but I don't feel I need a TFA hardcopy in my collection. If we lose streaming ability of the ST for some reason in the future we may get a trilogy pack of the ST but that way all three movies would be in one single case and not take up as much room on the movie shelf.

Solo and RO hardcopies will remain in my movie collection, so thank you Disney for those films!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TRoS/ST Reply with quote

Yep.

Too bad that this franchise was not so closely watched after like Tolkien's. To keep what was "the core" of a tale of a Chosen One intact and protected.
This universe is huge and there were new paths to exlpore. Now we have to see what future holds.

I was willing to ask GMs here, what are you planning to do with this "conclusion"? Attempt to rationalize it/ fix it? Or maybe keep the timeline from the Legends? Many questions are still left unanswered.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TRoS/ST Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I plan on seeing TRoS one more time in the theater, which will still be less total theatrical viewings for me than all other Star Wars films.

I'm gonna see them in the theater a lot more (OT, R1) cause I found a local theater you can rent and play DVD's at for like $100. Seats like 56 people.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I'm gonna see them in the theater a lot more (OT, R1) cause I found a local theater you can rent and play DVD's at for like $100. Seats like 56 people.

Cool. There is at least one theater in my city that you can rent auditoriums and they will play DVDs of whatever you want. My wife planned a surprise 40th birthday party for me and we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater with a lot of friends and family.

It would be really neat to do a RO/ANH double feature in the theater with 50 fans. Please share when you rent the theater for any Star Wars films to let us know how it goes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Cool. There is at least one theater in my city that you can rent auditoriums and they will play DVDs of whatever you want. My wife planned a surprise 40th birthday party for me and we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater with a lot of friends and family.

It would be really neat to do a RO/ANH double feature in the theater with 50 fans. Please share when you rent the theater for any Star Wars films to let us know how it goes.

Also maybe The Mandalorian marathon when it comes out on DVD!
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I saw TRoS for a third time. I actually understood a couple things I didn't the first two times. But it is sad that it took three showings plus reading some of the Visual Dictionary and Wookieepedia, to get to this point of understanding. But I still can't even answer all of my son's questions.

I noticed more than before that this movie is horribly over-edited. Lucasfilm originally reported a runtime of 2 hours 35 minutes to movie theaters, then it was later announced that the film was actually only 2 hours 21 minutes, a 14 minute difference. After seeing the film three times I think it is entirely possible that 2 hours 35 minutes was the original runtime before a major last minute edit took 14 minutes out of the film, in some ways to the film's detriment, especially in the final battle.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this article by Paul Tassi of Forbes Magazine explaining how J.J. Abrams basically turned the Sequel Trilogy into a duology. I can't argue with that.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more time that passes the more I dislike this movie. It seems like it was written by two drunks sitting around saying "You know what would be awesome in Star Wars?". At some point I have to buy TLJ purely for my daughter... despite how the throne room scene is messed up and creepy to the max. Dunno what psycho-babble prompted them to include THAT.

Otherwise, the sequels virtually won't exist to me in the future, much like SOLO and the prequels. SOLO I can at least reconcile as being tall tale rumors told about Han, Lando and Chewie within the SW universe. Much like the Ewok Adventures cartoon are ewok myths and legends, told about Wicket in the future, which may or may not be true.

Looking through his wiki, I dislike the other action movies that JJ Abrams has been involved in.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there's gonna be director's extended cut on blu ray?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

No they'll just keep improving upon it and denying the existence of prior versions.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

No they'll just keep improving upon it and denying the existence of prior versions.

I think it will be neither.

Keep changing it was a Lucas thing. The 4K versions of his 6 films on Disney+ is where Lucas left off changing them (Lucas obviously wasn't quite done with ANH because the only reason he would add "Ma klounkee" would be to have the translation subtitled, but it wasn't). Everything Lucas did is out now, and Lucas should have nothing to do with future releases of The Rise of Skywalker.

I have seen no reason to think that Disney or Abrams will have any interest in a director's cut of TRoS or any other Star Wars films. There were last minute edits to TRoS involving Abrams that took 14 minutes off of the runtime that had originally been reported to theaters. He took stuff away, not added more stuff. Like all the films, they will release some deleted scenes and the like. I don't think they will reincorporate it back into the film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whatever they do I'm not buying a hardcopy. Like I said I'm probably on the hook for TLJ but that's the only sequel I'm liable to own.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it. I generally liked it. I agreed, the "jump skipping" was probably my least favorite part, simply because it doesn't seem to have an explanation... are they teleporting around the galaxy? Is this a longer sequence? Are they doing this all within one system? I don't particularly have a problem with line-of-sight micro jumps, nor with jumps happening within a gravity well (I can rationalize the second as being possible-but-inadvisable, and possibly made more possible with 30-50 years of technological advancement; the first are mentioned in Legends material), but jump skipping, to me, didn't seem to match what we know of hyperspace, and seemed less explicable as an advancement in technology.

And, unlike the <i><expletive deleted></i> behind us who would not <i><expletive deleted></i> shut up during the movie, I didn't have a problem with the Force being used to heal people... after all, it was a common power during the days of the Jedi Civil War ( Wink ).

I wasn't a fan of Poe's contact on Kijimi, but mostly because she felt like a non-character... she's supposed to be emoting to and with Poe, but we seldom see her eyes and never her face, and so it's a lot harder to connect with her. And I agree with Oscar and John; Finn and Poe should have wound up together, and the addition of Jannah and Zorii felt like the addition of Batwoman to Silver Age Batman comics... "We need to head off the rumors that these guys are gay (be they Finn and Poe or Batman and Robin), so let's throw in some appropriate women to be romantic connections to." When Poe and Rey were arguing about lightspeed skipping? I leaned to my wife and said "Finn, whose boyfriend and girlfriend don't get along."
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I saw it. I generally liked it. I agreed, the "jump skipping" was probably my least favorite part, simply because it doesn't seem to have an explanation... are they teleporting around the galaxy? Is this a longer sequence? Are they doing this all within one system? I don't particularly have a problem with line-of-sight micro jumps, nor with jumps happening within a gravity well (I can rationalize the second as being possible-but-inadvisable, and possibly made more possible with 30-50 years of technological advancement; the first are mentioned in Legends material), but jump skipping, to me, didn't seem to match what we know of hyperspace, and seemed less explicable as an advancement in technology.

And, unlike the <i><expletive deleted></i> behind us who would not <i><expletive deleted></i> shut up during the movie, I didn't have a problem with the Force being used to heal people... after all, it was a common power during the days of the Jedi Civil War ( Wink ).

Glad you generally liked it. I'm sorry your film experience included some jerk talking during the movie. That really irks me too, as well as people checking their d@mn phone (and the screen light comes on) during the movie.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt more like Finn was relegated to the role of a child whose parents are in a loveless marriage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: