The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to handle Rate of Fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How to handle Rate of Fire Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like power holsters.

And pictures of Qui-Gon Jinn meditating.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I still like power holsters.

And pictures of Qui-Gon Jinn meditating.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity someone has not taken that screen cap and made one of those Motivational (or anti motivational) sayings to go with it.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Ask that friend of your about the melees with lots of combantants.

You can rush in a be reckless when you ae fighting one guy- you don't have to worry about getting tired out or being stabbed o shot by somebody else.
I think I said as much in an earlier post... I don't think we disagree on this point. As far as reality vs SCA, when was the last real knife fight you were in?

Quote:

There is no sound in space either, but I hear the ships making noise when I watch the films.
I have interesting methods of explaining sounds in space, but it's not pertinent to the discussion at this point...
Quote:
And where or not it is plasma and moving slow or not is all debatable. The ship moiunted weapons dont seem to move very fast either, yet all the source material says that the fighters are very fast, indeed. So if a fighter amed with blasters can lead a target ship with weapons fire, the blaster shots can't be going too slow.

Well, we know shots are going faster than the fighters... ESB turbolaser blasts seem to go faster maybe a mile and a half in about 3 frames (1/8 second)
Quote:

My pet theoy is some sort of particle beam, perhaps magnetically contained antimatter. THat would explain the explosive esults when it hits, and the "recoil" as some mass is expelled at high velocity. Buit like petty much every other explanation, it has some flaws.

Well particle beams would provide zero recoil, (a flashlight is a particle beam generator) and antimatter would probably be an amorphous blob of anti protons, which would be a plasma...
Quote:

Automatic is, but automatic and bust on the same weapon is not. The example you gave is the fist weapon Ive seen to have both.

Alsop, those who ae tained in using automatic fire are taught to use controlled busts rather than just holding down the trigger and hosing things down.

True, but auto fire is generally far higher fire rate than fast semi-automatic, and even then if automatic fire were so detrimental to your shooting, machine gunners wouldn't be trained to fire off 6 round bursts. Subtracting 1D per consecutive shot for that would result in a machine gunner with 6D having trouble hitting at close range.

Complete Starship Construction System
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
[I think I said as much in an earlier post... I don't think we disagree on this point. As far as reality vs SCA, when was the last real knife fight you were in?

Quite a few years back, and it wasn't my idea. In fact, I didn't even have a knfe. I had a shinai and the other guy had a knife

Quote:

Well, we know shots are going faster than the fighters... ESB turbolaser blasts seem to go faster maybe a mile and a half in about 3 frames (1/8 second)

Probably faster. The official Acceleration figures for ships in Star Wars is exceptionally high. In the order of a few thousand G's.

The problem here is that the need to show the special effect results in a blast shot that is probably traveling much slower than it really should, just so the audience can see it.

Quote:

Well particle beams would provide zero recoil, (a flashlight is a particle beam generator)

No necessairly. Just becuase a flashlight provides zero recoil doesn't mean that all particle beams would. And technically, a flashing does produce some recoil, just that the amount is so small as to be unnoticed.

Quote:

and antimatter would probably be an amorphous blob of anti protons, which would be a plasma...

anitplasma. And once again recoild would depend on mass ejected. And I don't buy your "probably" theory. Some sort of force field encased anti-proton weapon is just as "probable". There just isn't enough data on the things to make any definite calls on the tech.

But the fact that they go out of their way to show recoil doesn indicate that it does apply.

Quote:

True, but auto fire is generally far higher fire rate than fast semi-automatic,

Depends on the weapon. Some guys can "bump fire" an M16 at over 100 rpm, which is about 2/3rd the weapons full auto rate. You can't use the cyclic rates, since the weapons aren7t used that way. No M1 has even fired off 800 rounds in a minute.

But even if you assume a higher RPF for full auto wapons, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference with this method. if the average ROF is 2 and the max 3, then the biggest difference you will see is 1 per action.

and even then if automatic fire were so detrimental to your shooting, machine gunners wouldn't be trained to fire off 6 round bursts. [/quote]

THat is just it. They are trained to fire in bursts, raher than full auto. If the gunner fired at full auto he would probably get off more than six shots.

ing 1D per consecutive shot for that would result in a machine gunner with 6D having trouble hitting at close range.[/quote]

If you treated a burst as six individual shots, yet. As rightly so. No machine gunner can aim and place six out of six shots on a man ized target. He fires a burst, and a few of the shots hit and the rest don't.

And that is why I'm for bust firing ather than breaking the ROF up into lots of indiviual shots. Because otherwise, the machine gunners in the game could just hold down the button and fire off 20, or even 50 shots. The wild die ill also ensure that about 1in 6 shots will hit a target at short range.

And ignoring machine gun/repeating blasters for the moment, I don't like ho thiis would apply to the non-repeating types. Give that machinegunner above a semi-auto rifle and I think he should be having some trouble firing off six shots and hitting. Especially if the shooter is dodging.

Another problem I see is that characters with a lot of dice are going to be able to exceed the capabilties of the weapon with this method, since the ROF doesn't have a cap.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking of allowing a 'fast fire' mode, which essentially will mean a 'double tap' for each fire action. However I dont like excessive dice rolling so instead Im thinking of using a 'fast fire' rule.

To beging with, what do we want to represent? Why do you fire several shots to beging with? A) To have an increased chance of hitting at least once? B) To do more damage?

If A, would that mean a bonus to hit(+1D)? What would the drawback be?
If B, would that mean a bonus to damage (+1D)? Again, what would the drawback be? Why wouldnt you always fire this way?

If A is true, then if you succeed really well wouldnt that mean that you hit twice making B true too? Ie a bonus to hit but if you roll a certain margin above the to-hit number then you get a 'double hit' and either rolls two damage rolls or get a damage bonus. Again, why wouldnt you always fire this way?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

To beging with, what do we want to represent? Why do you fire several shots to beging with? A) To have an increased chance of hitting at least once? B) To do more damage?

If B, would that mean a bonus to damage (+1D)? Again, what would the drawback be? Why wouldnt you always fire this way?

Firing multiple shots is done for either of those two reasons. What's important to remember is that some weapons are better at A compared to other weapons.

Semi auto weapons with recoil are not so good with A and better at B. Fully automatic weapons are good at A and can be good a B in the right circumstances.

The result of A would be a bonus to hit. Without recoil, the only drawback of this would be usage of ammunition for the weapon. If you have recoil for a weapon, there's a fine line between the bonus for more rounds flying through the air and the effect of recoil on the weapon's accuracy.

The result of B would be a bonus to damage. As with A, the only drawback for a weapon without recoil is use of ammunition. If recoil is involved, the other drawback would be lack of accuracy for a chance to put more shots into your target.

Why they wouldn't always fire that way depends on what negatives you include in your game. If you count ammunition (which some GMs do not) then the increased shooting for more shots to increase hits or damage or both, would mean that there's less "staying power" in a gunfight. If you're always popping off multiple shots every time you fire, you'll burn through your ammo faster and could be caught changing magazines/charge packs when the enemy shows up in front of you.

If you also include recoil, say when a projectile firearm is used, then the added difficulty of accuracy (that fine balance, again, between the bonus of multiple rounds in the air and the recoil of the weapon affecting your aim) would have an effect on why they wouldn't always fire this way.

Also, if you factor in carrying weight (another thing not a lot of GMs include in their games) then the added necessity of carrying around more ammunition/energy packs comes into play. Can't carry all the fancy weapons and armor and gizmos if you're weighted down with a bunch of extra ammunition because you burn through the shots so fast.

Most GMs, however, probably don't use many of those factors, so there really IS no drawbacks to firing this way if you include the rule in your game. So just realize that by including this, if you don't also include weight capacity, recoil, and shot count, you're likely going to make some very power player characters. They'll quickly realize there's a lot of bonus and no negatives and they'll all be doing "fast fire" mode and mowing through opposition.

So use caution.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

Quite a few years back, and it wasn't my idea. In fact, I didn't even have a knfe. I had a shinai and the other guy had a knife
Well, you've got me there, barely. There was once a couple years ago when a guy was acting aggressively with a knife toward a young woman. I though I was about to be in a fight with the guy, and was already working out tactics. I can assure you, my plan was to stick him about half a dozen times in the neck and head areas and hope he couldn't fight by the time he realized I had started. Sudden, rapid attacks are a valid strategy.
Quote:

Probably faster. The official Acceleration figures for ships in Star Wars is exceptionally high. In the order of a few thousand G's.

The problem here is that the need to show the special effect results in a blast shot that is probably traveling much slower than it really should, just so the audience can see it.

Well, I think the problem is that they show the ships traveling a lot slower than they should be. We know the blasts are moving faster, because they are overtaking the ships from behind.
Quote:

No necessairly. Just becuase a flashlight provides zero recoil doesn't mean that all particle beams would. And technically, a flashing does produce some recoil, just that the amount is so small as to be unnoticed.
well, yeah, true. The flashlight does provide some recoil, but not enough to matter as far as hitting. Particle beams generally don't produce recoil, though, because they tend to generate two opposing beams. Even when that's not the case, the output has to be on the same order of magnitude as the total amount of sunlight hitting earth to cause the kind of recoil you can feel. That's more than a blaster.
Quote:

and antimatter would probably be an amorphous blob of anti protons, which would be a plasma...

Quote:

antiplasma. And once again recoild would depend on mass ejected. And I don't buy your "probably" theory. Some sort of force field encased anti-proton weapon is just as "probable". There just isn't enough data on the things to make any definite calls on the tech.
But the fact that they go out of their way to show recoil doesn indicate that it does apply.

Well, we can tell from energy released how much mass is annihilated if it's antimatter. The numbers there are so high, I think it precludes the use of antimatter in a tangible-recoil-generating blaster bolt.
Furthermore, if you're relying on the acting in Star Wars to support your theory, you may need to rethink the quality of your source material...
Quote:

True, but auto fire is generally far higher fire rate than fast semi-automatic,

Quote:

Depends on the weapon. Some guys can "bump fire" an M16 at over 100 rpm, which is about 2/3rd the weapons full auto rate. You can't use the cyclic rates, since the weapons aren7t used that way. No M1 has even fired off 800 rounds in a minute.

But even if you assume a higher RPF for full auto wapons, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference with this method. if the average ROF is 2 and the max 3, then the biggest difference you will see is 1 per action.

So what happens when you run the numbers with an average soldier firing a FAMAS?

Quote:

THat is just it. They are trained to fire in bursts, raher than full auto. If the gunner fired at full auto he would probably get off more than six shots.

They are firing on full auto, though. That's why they're trained. You don't need training to flip a switch to burst fire.
Quote:

If you treated a burst as six individual shots, yet. As rightly so. No machine gunner can aim and place six out of six shots on a man ized target. He fires a burst, and a few of the shots hit and the rest don't.

At any range pictured in the movies, all he has to do it put the first round on target and hold the gun steady for all the shots to hit.
Quote:

And that is why I'm for bust firing ather than breaking the ROF up into lots of indiviual shots. Because otherwise, the machine gunners in the game could just hold down the button and fire off 20, or even 50 shots. The wild die ill also ensure that about 1in 6 shots will hit a target at short range.

And ignoring machine gun/repeating blasters for the moment, I don't like ho thiis would apply to the non-repeating types. Give that machinegunner above a semi-auto rifle and I think he should be having some trouble firing off six shots and hitting. Especially if the shooter is dodging.
I play a lot of airsoft. last time I tried to put six rounds on a dodging target in five seconds, five of them hit. I also go shooting as often as I can and I can tell you my airsoft gun kicks a heck of a lot more than a .22 (it's got a big aluminum slide that rocks back and forth as the gun cycles). Now a .22 has recoil and a horizontal kick, and though I've thankfully never had call to fire one at a person, I think we can agree that it's 1000+ fps muzzle velocity makes for easier shooting than my 400 fps airsoft gun. If you want to use the .22 as a reference point, I have put several rounds into a coke can hucked overhand down the firing range before it hit the ground. That's a harder shot than any I recall being made in the movies, except for when Han was blind. The kick and recoil didn't matter compared to the actual motion of the target.
Quote:

Another problem I see is that characters with a lot of dice are going to be able to exceed the capabilties of the weapon with this method, since the ROF doesn't have a cap.

Do we know what the capabilities of the weapons are?

Complete Starship Construction System
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Im thinking of allowing a 'fast fire' mode, which essentially will mean a 'double tap' for each fire action.

I don't nmind a double tap idea or even a triple tap, but I think that it doesn't mesh ell with D6, since characters have no hard limit to thie rnumber of actions to begin with. The idea of someone like Boba Fett or Han Solo spending A Force point and popping off a score of shots in a 5 second round strike me as wrong.

However I dont like excessive dice rolling so instead Im thinking of using a 'fast fire' rule.

To beging with, what do we want to represent? Why do you fire several shots to beging with? A) To have an increased chance of hitting at least once? B) To do more damage? [/quote]

Probably C, both. If you think about it, firing multiple shots increases both the chances of getting one hit, and the possibility of getting multiple hits. I'd suggest something like getting benefit A, but if the hit beats the dodge by 5 or mre having B kick in.

You could use the 2E combined fire table for "fast fire" and treat the number of shots fired as the # combined to get the bonus. Maybe split the bonus in half and apply to A and B?

Quote:

I7d suggest three drawbacks:

First, the increased use of ammo. The character did fire two (or more) shots.

Secondly, I'd say the double tap would count as two actions for MAP puposes for anything other than the fast fire. Guys who are double tapping don7t seem to be doing much dodging, driving, or applying fist aid at the same time. It is kind of like the Quick Draw rules. If you are quick drawing you don7t get to do anything else. If someone is fast firing, they don7t get to do much else.
If you add recoil, the recoil value could be used instead of 1 MAP per shot.

Three, tmishaps can really ruin your day if you are fast firing. All those stray shots got to go somewhere, and quite a few mishaps might abort the rest of the combo.

Quote:

If A is true, then if you succeed really well wouldnt that mean that you hit twice making B true too?

Not necessarily, but possible. Guys firing on autoburst usually hit once or twice, and rarely with all three shots. Even without recoil,kick and movment, there is enough angle of dispersion to vary the trajectory. Even weapons fired from a bench rest don't place rounds in the exact same spot.

I'd suggest either granting B as a benfit for exceeding the target number by a set amount, or spliting whatever bonus you get evelnly between A and B.

Quote:

Ie a bonus to hit but if you roll a certain margin above the to-hit number then you get a 'double hit' and either rolls two damage rolls or get a damage bonus.

Again, why wouldnt you always fire this way?

THere would need to be game drawbacks to discoruage using this all the time. I suggested some above, but even if you don7t like them, you would need something.

RECOIL: If you want to use this, I suggest the penalty be based on the weapon damage vs. the shooter's STR. Say Damage Code minus STR seems a good starting point. using two hands could reduce the penalty by 1D (weaver stance) and so on. You could probably raise or drop the penalty another D based on the size/mass of the weapon. A high caliber hold out weapon should have more kick that a rifle chambered for the same round.The value could be modified for weapons that deal damage by uncovenial means rather than by directed energy.

With this idea, a Wookiee is going to have a significant edge over a Jawa if the both start fast firing with the ssame model weapon. So maybe Weapon skill should be averaged with STR?

But recoil does make things more complicated.

Just my 2 credits.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Well, you've got me there, barely. There was once a couple years ago when a guy was acting aggressively with a knife toward a young woman. I though I was about to be in a fight with the guy, and was already working out tactics. I can assure you, my plan was to stick him about half a dozen times in the neck and head areas and hope he couldn't fight by the time he realized I had started. Sudden, rapid attacks are a valid strategy.

No, I don't "have you" at all. I'd rather have avoided the situation completely. Luckily, the guys buddy either had more brains or less booze and broke things up before anyone got hurt.

The whole thing was a "catch 22" for me. I was older than the drunken idiot and if I had dropped the guy I couldn't see a way of explaining to the Police what I was doing int he park with the Shinai in the first place.

Quote:

Well, I think the problem is that they show the ships traveling a lot slower than they should be. We know the blasts are moving faster, because they are overtaking the ships from behind.

They don't becuase they can't. If you speed things up past a curtain point it turns into a blur and then vanishes. Heck they had to invent compter contrlled camperas and record the sequences at very high speed just tokeep the ships from "teleporting" across the screen (that is why you didn7t see fast moving spaceships prior to Star Wars).

Even if they could get past the frame rate limitation, there would be the problem of scale. When you have 12m long spacecraft travelling at 4 kilometers per second, if you try to show one second'S worth of movement you would have a hard time picking out a 12m long X-Wing on a 4 kilometer long screen. Imagine what the Death Star trench run would really look like if the showed movment "to scale"! I would be like watching ants fighting a beached whale from a kilometer away, at night.

And it is just possible, and probably that the ships don7t fight at high speed. Real world physics-wise (a risky thing to bring up in Star Wars), the faster something is moving the greater it's inertia and the harder it is for it to change direction. In the real world this is why an SR-71 going at Mach 3 can't turn or a dime, and why dogfights occur at subsonic speeds. Star Wars ship might limit thier combat speed in order to preserve their maneuverability.

Quote:

well, yeah, true. The flashlight does provide some recoil, but not enough to matter as far as hitting.

Yup. I was just being technical. There must be an "equal and opposite countering force", but yeah, the kinetic energy output is so small that the "recoil" force is more than offset by the mass of the flashlight.

Quote:

Particle beams generally don't produce recoil, though, because they tend to generate two opposing beams. Even when that's not the case, the output has to be on the same order of magnitude as the total amount of sunlight hitting earth to cause the kind of recoil you can feel. That's more than a blaster.

Again, you are dealing with generalities based upon our technology, and the assumption that the mass being ejected from the blaster is negligible. But that might not be the case.

Hey, it is even possible that the guns produce no "recoil" per say, but that that the gun movement is part of some bult in colling system. That would make a lot of sense.

I think that what we should do here is not try to disprove "recoil" according to the laws of physics. This is Star Wars. What we should do is deal with the fact that the blasters have soem sort of kick on screen.

Quote:

Well, we can tell from energy released how much mass is annihilated if it's antimatter. The numbers there are so high, I think it precludes the use of antimatter in a tangible-recoil-generating blaster bolt.
Furthermore, if you're relying on the acting in Star Wars to support your theory, you may need to rethink the quality of your source material...

I think the point is, Lucas and company wanted the blasters to have a kick to them. most likely becuase guns with kicklook more realsitic to the audience, even if the science doesn't make a lot of sense. Most people won7t know better.

So like a lot of other things in Star Wars, we just have to accept that the blasters have kick and deal with it.

Quote:

So what happens when you run the numbers with an average soldier firing a FAMAS?

In game on in real life. in real life, a lot of ammo is wasted, the gun gets hot, and maybe a few rounds hit the targerts and the rest cause people to get behind cover.

In the D6 system, high ROF weapons have a built in boost to thier damage dice.

There are other ways to do it.

Quote:

They are firing on full auto, though. That's why they're trained. You don't need training to flip a switch to burst fire.

Yes, they are firing ion full auto, but they are not hoklding down the button and firing continiously. Basically, with the timeit takes to aquire a target after each burst, you reach a pratical limit on ROF that is well below the weapon's actual ability to cycle rounds.

What I don7t like about just upping the shots fired per penaltyis that weapons with high ROF get to place a lot more controlled shots at a target (i.e. a rotary cannon would become a lot more accratethan it should be) and that high skill will tranlateinto a higher ROF in play.

Hence my preference for some sort of buest fire rather than treating it as mutiple indiviual attacks.

I don't mind the concept ofr fast fire and autofire ruls, I just don't think this particular method is all that hot for D6. Especially since character can takem ultiple "full auto" actions in the RPG.

Quote:

At any range pictured in the movies, all he has to do it put the first round on target and hold the gun steady for all the shots to hit.

Ha! It isn't that easy. Even asuming that the first shot is dead on target, recoil, ejected spent casings, and dispersion angle will make getting 6 oit six, nearly impossible. Afer abit,m things like barrel heating factor in, too.

Quote:

I play a lot of airsoft. last time I tried to put six rounds on a dodging target in five seconds, five of them hit.

At what range, and lighting condtions. Also what gun? Were you puilling the trigger times?

And as for dodging, well, no ne really dodges bullets. They do evasive maneuver to try and make themselves a harder target. Not everyone does that with equal profiency, either.

[/quote]
I also go shooting as often as I can and I can tell you my airsoft gun kicks a heck of a lot more than a .22 (it's got a big aluminum slide that rocks back and forth as the gun cycles). Now a .22 has recoil and a horizontal kick, and though I've thankfully never had call to fire one at a person, I think we can agree that it's 1000+ fps muzzle velocity makes for easier shooting than my 400 fps airsoft gun. If you want to use the .22 as a reference point, I have put several rounds into a coke can hucked overhand down the firing range before it hit the ground. That's a harder shot than any I recall being made in the movies, except for when Han was blind. The kick and recoil didn't matter compared to the actual motion of the target.
Quote:

Neither the airsoft nor the .22 are big recoil weapons. Now I7ll agree that the .22 should have a flatter tradjectory and be miore accurate, especially if it is a target weapon with match grade ammo. But, neither kicks anything llike a 9 mm or a .45 caliber SMG.

And while an M-16 does fire .223 calaiberammuntiuon, that isn't the same as a .22LR. Go take a look at the enegy of the rounds being fired before you dismiss recoil forces.

If you get the chance, try pulling off a double tap with a .357 revolver.

Do we know what the capabilities of the weapons are?[/quote]
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit of an old bugger and played this game 20yrs ago, I recently got a gaming group together for reminiscence and funzies and have got back into it, difference being at this stage in my life I've been a real world combatant and heavily involved with military technologies. In addition I'm a sci fi writer, hey it made sense to me.

So firstly let me state I fully support the contention that the Star Wars universe of technology should be as stated in the Players Handbook that it is firstly about epic story and entertaining scenes and secondly about explaining them with some sort of rationale which adequately preserves a suspension of disbelief for the audience.

I do use my real world knowledge of warbird avionics, physics and aeronautics, various combat arts and physical engagements during personal expansions of rule sets and in module construction.
Here is an interesting point however, back when I played the game 20yrs ago not much has changed about the way I logically thought things should work in the game.

So right off the bat most of you are going to be well right in every respect in what you say, about your game and your gaming style. Hey if it works and you love it, do it and as a GM enforce it if the players agree coming in. I think we should all be open for discussion and this is an integral element of RPG gaming, let's face it, and part of the fun.

But this is primarily a creative exercise.

Yes the kind of weapons described as blasters in the SW universe can most certainly provide kick, they are much closer to particle weapons by descriptions such as Cracken's Field Guide than they are traditional lasers in most sci fi. They release a gas which is energised by a radiation pulse and considering a heavy blaster pistol is some 60% more damaging than an advanced, futuristic slugthrower pistol (3Ddmg, equivalent to a .40cal say), you're talking quite some amount of Newtonian reaction going on in a very lightweight frame.

This is how I would explain why Han Solo's blaster visibly provides quite a powerful kick when he fires at the space slug tongue in ESB. Similarly why a stormtrooper blaster rifle is held with two hands and doesn't look like it lacks a bit of kick, but admitedly in the hands of a burly combatant it can be used accurately one-handed unlike the submachine gun it resembles. Well it's got about the same close quarters power as a heavy pistol in a much heavier frame, which absorbs some of the recoil.

So I'd say we're talking about less kick than an equivalent firearm but not none like a pure energy weapon such as a laser you usually find in sci fi.
Hence they are blaster weapons and not laser weapons, actually particle beam weapons firing streams of energised particles, hence ranges are also in metres rather than kilometres.
Bowcasters and the like of course take it to the next level and actually fire small explosive, energised warheads.

Technically particle weapons should do as much physical as energy damage but in the SW universe they are highly developed and cause neglible physical damage and extensive energy damage. Hey and lightsabres are just plain magic in terms of physics too.

Rate of fire is valid not just for recoil but also trigger mechanism, energy cell recovery rates, barrel heating, frame construction, (tibanna) gas delivery system, all weapons are a total package of compromises and utilitarian needs unless you're going to engineer them yourself from scratch and incorporate your wonts. In point of fact RPG are set up to do this very thing with customisable rule sets and engineering possibilities.
In our games characters frequently specialise in Advanced engineering skills from blaster technologies to starship engineering so they can run around later in massive fleet battles when I throw the entire Imperial Sourcebook at them (and others) with the full fury of a stubborn GM.

Repeater weapons are a special case introduced by the Kotor games, which I've adapted in which you can choose to either use traditional damage capabilities (6D/7D/8D for light/med/hvy repeaters) or you can elect to fire double bursts at targets within close proximity at -1D damage for each without penalty (ie. 5D/6D/7D respectively). So you can effectively mow down cannon fodder that try to rush you with only two or three separately aimed actions (double shots for each).

Some specialised assault rifles and riot guns also provide this facility, but these are really just repeater weapons with specialised names provided by the manufacturer.

Generally I adjudicate that a listed ROF relates to weapon overheat and power cell recovery rates and works as a limit for a particularly lightweight blaster rifle that does good damage for example.
Otherwise most blaster weapons will fire as often as you can point them and pull the trigger accurately in a 5sec round, whilst "wild shooting" will always be superfluous unless you take the extra action to select individually targeted shots.

In other words you can say, "I want to fire wildly five times but consciously pick a target only on the first shot" and the standard blaster pistol will do it, but four of those shots are just going aimlessly into the air, ground, your leg, wherever.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I'd say we're talking about less kick than an equivalent firearm but not none like a pure energy weapon such as a laser you usually find in sci fi.

In BSG (original), we see many a times the pistols the colonial troops used had a mighty kick..
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite true, it's been so long since I saw the original series it's hard to remember. Of course I don't know anything about the proposed technology of these weapons but it appears this was another project written from the beginning as a screenplay rather than acutely developed in a book form and then transferred to screen.

In most sci fi books, if a gun is called a laser weapon it has no more recoil than shining a torch, and generally a range of beam cohesion that means the firer really has to think about where he points the thing before he pulls the trigger. Their damaging effects will also be described as very much like an industrial grade cutting laser.

In movies like BSG or SW however an explosive kind of damage looks more impressive for audiences. It simply doesn't need to make sense if it looks good, which is why the genre refers to these films as space-fantasy rather than sci-fi.

I mean at the end of the day however we explain it, we're just making it up.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, another way tohandle double-taps, "fast fire" would be to increase the MAP penalty, but allow the to shots to come off at the same "initiative count".

If it were -2D per shot, but you got two shots off at once, the increased MAPs would discourage over use of the option, but the abiity to get to or more shots off before the opponents next action might be occasionally worth it.

Just another way of handling it.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm yeah but what I was visualising for the repeaters was a full auto capability so that light repeaters are just a blaster rifle built for this (and subsequently heavier in design), the 6D damage is from the free double shot you're already getting by hitting once, provided by high rate of auto fire rather than higher power output on individual shots to start with.

So the player could elect to spray instead and the penalty for the first "additional shot" doing this came off damage instead of Blaster skill because of the nature of repeaters, so long as the next target stood immediately beside the first.
You could continue to spray, or concentrate on taking individuals down.

A handheld laser cannon for example we rule as a heavy weapon with 6D base damage, the repeater version of that is the medium repeat. Multiple crew heavy laser cannon (character scale) do 7D normally or 8D when heavier again as a repeater version like an E-Web (which requires a crew of 3).
Laser cannon are of course support and light artillery pieces, so anything bigger than a light repeater requires periodic Stamina rolls under certain conditions (sprinting across an open area to take some cover), so should only be carried by very strong or fit characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: