The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How much is a starting DSP "Worth"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

So it doesn't go beyond RAW and you answered your own question? One DSP comes with an optional bonus, and if you choose that bonus that comes with a downside. Or do you mean the Jedi should get something for the case where they resist the bonus and suffer the penalty? .

And that bonus only counts for force users..

Quote:
This. I'd say starting the game with a DSP counts as a Minor Disadvantage, so a counterbalancing Minor Advantage of some form wouldn't be amiss. Of course, if we're getting into details on Advantages and Disadvantages, the Failed Jedi should also have at least some degree of Addiction (Alcoholic) Disadvantage.

True dat.. Maybe the alcoholism, could have as an advantage opposing it, that the failed jedi has a slightly higher resistance to injested poisons!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And that bonus only counts for force users.

Point.

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
This. I'd say starting the game with a DSP counts as a Minor Disadvantage, so a counterbalancing Minor Advantage of some form wouldn't be amiss. Of course, if we're getting into details on Advantages and Disadvantages, the Failed Jedi should also have at least some degree of Addiction (Alcoholic) Disadvantage.

True dat.. Maybe the alcoholism, could have as an advantage opposing it, that the failed jedi has a slightly higher resistance to injested poisons!

Alcoholism itself is a disadvantage, like any addiction. In the game, Willpower rolls should be required to resist alcohol. Alcohol is poison, but the only poison I would give an alcoholic character a higher resistance to is alcohol, which can compound the problem of the addiction.

On a related personal note, October will be five-years without alcohol.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Alcoholism itself is a disadvantage, like any addiction. In the game, Willpower rolls should be required to resist alcohol. Alcohol is poison, but the only poison I would give an alcoholic character a higher resistance to is alcohol, which can compound the problem of the addiction.

So how would you go about representing this in a game?

Quote:

Congratulations!

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

So how would you go about representing this in a game?

If I were doing it, I'd lean towards Willpower rolls to resist the temptation to drink; initially they'd be frequent, but, over time (and CP expenditure), they would decrease. I might go with two levels... the first representing a relatively new, fragile sobriety (requiring more rolls of Willpower), while the other would represent a more mature sobriety... you don't have to resist the urge to drink every day, but you might have to fight it on stressful days.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recall there being a section in D6 Space on "buying off" Disadvantages, and having it be heavily dependent on story factors, and something to be discussed between the player and GM. Have a character as an addict who subsequently gets clean as part of their character arc sounds like an interesting roleplaying challenge.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I do recall there being a section in D6 Space on "buying off" Disadvantages, and having it be heavily dependent on story factors, and something to be discussed between the player and GM. Have a character as an addict who subsequently gets clean as part of their character arc sounds like an interesting roleplaying challenge.

You might also borrow from Zorro D6, which links improvement to meeting certain, defined, character challenges. Want to improve your Swordsmanship? You need to seek out a reknowned swordmaker and have a new sword made. You need to get a book of sword techniques from Toledo. You have to defeat Sergeant Gordo Ramirez in single combat. And you can increase your Swordsmanship from 3D to 4D.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that being appropriate for some Disadvantages, but for something like addiction, I'd go with 1) paying a certain CP cost, set by the GM, and 2) making a certain consecutive number of successful Willpower skill rolls to resist imbibing in the character's substance of choice. Successfully doing so will either 1) buy out of the Disadvantage completely, or 2) if the Disadvantage is Moderate or Major, buy the Disadvantage down a step, at which point the Willpower Difficulties drop by a level, and the character must start accruing CP again. Repeat as needed.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: How much is a starting DSP "Worth"? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
[

Congrats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: