The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cut WEG Sourcebooks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Cut WEG Sourcebooks Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Cut WEG Sourcebooks Reply with quote

While it appears there are many ongoing efforts by Rancor Pit members to develop converted versions of the new WotC materials, I was wondering if efforts had ever been made to complete any of the abandoned sourcebooks by WEG:

Tion Hegemony Sourcebook
Era of Rebellion Sourcebook
Lando Calrissian Adventures Sourcebook
Jedi Sourcebook
The X-wing: Rogue Squadron Sourcebook

Has anyone ever taken a crack at any of these?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to add further to the top of the pile, how about Galaxy Guides for The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith?

8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thos are not abandoned. They are, well, on a severe state of hiatus...

There was a bit of an effort to make the Rogue Squadron Sourcebook at one point, but that I think got abandoned for the time being.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Thos are not abandoned. They are, well, on a severe state of hiatus...

There was a bit of an effort to make the Rogue Squadron Sourcebook at one point, but that I think got abandoned for the time being.

I think Joe Corroney had a bunch of artwork he did for the Rogue Squadron Sourcebook on his gallery once... dunno if they're still there. I might have saved them somewhere on a CD.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some various reports about some of these books. The only one that really had any sort of progress on it was the Rogue Squadron book. The only thing that exists of it now is some art that got eBayed a few years ago and a few notes that one of the authors has in his house... nothing that could make it into any sort of usable information.

There were rumors that it had made it into an almost completed format and saved on a computer disk that had become corrupted, but that has not been substantiated by any person who had worked for WEG at the time.

The Jedi sourcebook would have been awesome, but LFL told WEG to mothball the project until after the prequels were out. WEG never got the chance because of that failing shoe company.

Stupid shoes.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I digged up some old DVD archives and here are two of Joe Corroney's artwork for the Sourcebook. They don't seem to be in his website's galleries now.

Admiral Ackbar, Admiral Horton Salm and Wedge.

The Rogues' Downtime Bar:

Some old and forgotten Star Wars D6 legacy there.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... great find!
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Lando books were a little odd, it would be interesting to see more info. and stats from those sources. It's too bad WEG got into junk bonds, mortgage loans, or whatever they did back then.

After recently rereading the Brian Daley Han Solo books (highly recommended for anyone who hasn't), and particularly the "Lost Legacy" book, it seems like it would be difficult to obtain enough material to use for a separate sourcebook on the Tion Hegemony. I was impressed by how WEG filled in a lot of the backstory for the first two books with the Corporate Sector Authority sourcebook, though - pretty well written.

I'd heard the same thing as you, Cheshire, about the Rogue Squadron book. Nice job locating the artwork, Hisham. It looks like there were several additional Adventure Journals also planned, although some of the stories in those were apparently incorporated into later released materials (including WotC materials, I think), and some of the artwork also must have been subsequently released, judging from Wookieepedia.

Are there any former WEG staff on these forums, or does anyone from the Rancor Pit correspond with any of the former WEG folks these days?
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
While the Lando books were a little odd, it would be interesting to see more info. and stats from those sources. It's too bad WEG got into junk bonds, mortgage loans, or whatever they did back then.

After recently rereading the Brian Daley Han Solo books (highly recommended for anyone who hasn't), and particularly the "Lost Legacy" book, it seems like it would be difficult to obtain enough material to use for a separate sourcebook on the Tion Hegemony. I was impressed by how WEG filled in a lot of the backstory for the first two books with the Corporate Sector Authority sourcebook, though - pretty well written.

I'd heard the same thing as you, Cheshire, about the Rogue Squadron book. Nice job locating the artwork, Hisham. It looks like there were several additional Adventure Journals also planned, although some of the stories in those were apparently incorporated into later released materials (including WotC materials, I think), and some of the artwork also must have been subsequently released, judging from Wookieepedia.

Are there any former WEG staff on these forums, or does anyone from the Rancor Pit correspond with any of the former WEG folks these days?
DarkStryder is my favorite campaign of all time and I was corresponding with one of its writers a few years ago. He was pretty friendly about sharing some details of things that happened when they were working on it, such as "lost" DarkStryder adventures that were never published. I never thought to ask him about unfinished products other than DS.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to elaborate on some of the lost darkstryder adventures?
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DarkStryder is my favorite campaign of all time and I was corresponding with one of its writers a few years ago. He was pretty friendly about sharing some details of things that happened when they were working on it, such as "lost" DarkStryder adventures that were never published.

MA-3PO would you mind sharing any DS data you may have gathered, im not able to contact anyone with that info and have been looking for it for a while. Any help you can give would be appreciated.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Eric Trautman and I'll dig through my email archives tonight and see what we talked about. Don't expect anything fantastic though. What we had for DS as published is a lot better than what wasn't. I'll PM anybody that's interested.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also be interested in hearing what you learned from Eric Trautmann (I think it's spelled with 2 "N"s), MA-3P0. It seems like it might be worthwhile to amass some of the official WEG "cut material" elements somehow, and see how much of these unreleased publications might be able to be reconstructed.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have stumbled across pdf files of draft versions of Star Wars Adventure Journals 16 and 17. I can't remember from where I obtained them. Pretty interesting - they even include game stats and full story text - some of which appears to have never been published. Does anybody know the story behind these draft documents?
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my information is correct, these documents were being worked on when the adventure journal got canceled. Basically, the SWAJ weren't doing so hot in the subscriptions, and they just weren't making enough money to continue. It also got harder to get good talent to write for them, and so the things wound up going by the wayside.

However, they worked on them months in advance. They didn't just do them one at a time. So someone who worked at WEG had the stuff more or less collected, and decided to give them to Starwars.com hyperspace for exclusive publication. You know how things go with "exclusive" and the internet, though. So now they're all over the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: