The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Whats the point in Lightsaber damage mods..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Whats the point in Lightsaber damage mods.. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Whats the point in Lightsaber damage mods.. Reply with quote

I just looked through the Lightsaber Combat Forms pdf when something struck me..

Whats the point in gaining a +1d bonus (or having a -1d penalty) to lightsaber damage?

Lightsaber damage is (usually) 5D+Control, so 10D and above is not very uncommon. This means insta-kill except if fighting AT-AT or something..

So, whats the point in putting effort into a technique that gives you a +1D bonus? This also goes for the crystal rules with bonuses to damage. Whats the point? Am I missing something when it comes to resisting lightsaber damage (for jedis I mean)?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how your games are played, I suppose. The way the game is designed, players don't tend to play powerful Jedi... they can get powerful, but it should take a lot of time. By my experience, most GMs offer up more CP rewards for playing than is recommended, teachers in the Force are more readily available than perhaps they should be, and other factors that let players become pretty strong, with die pools rivaling those of the movie heroes. While this is possible, it should take years of play, given suggested CP gain, training time (something often ignored), teacher availability, etc.

With weak Jedi, a +/-1D is somewhat more evident than with a powerful Jedi... mind you, the crystal rules and such are all house rules that players have come up with to add flavour. Sometimes flavour overrides useful Razz

Out of curiosity, what technique grants a +1D bonus?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
It depends on how your games are played, I suppose. The way the game is designed, players don't tend to play powerful Jedi... they can get powerful, but it should take a lot of time. By my experience, most GMs offer up more CP rewards for playing than is recommended, teachers in the Force are more readily available than perhaps they should be, and other factors that let players become pretty strong, with die pools rivaling those of the movie heroes. While this is possible, it should take years of play, given suggested CP gain, training time (something often ignored), teacher availability, etc.

With weak Jedi, a +/-1D is somewhat more evident than with a powerful Jedi... mind you, the crystal rules and such are all house rules that players have come up with to add flavour. Sometimes flavour overrides useful Razz

Well, having control 4D is not unheard of. Starting 3D and then advance 1D. 5D characters might be advanced, but not impossible so. In either case it results in a 9D or 10D damage. Given that a bounty hunter will roll abouot 5D to resist energy..theres a lot to spare and no real need in raising the damage.

Of course I know its house rules, thats why the question is under 'house rules'... Wink

Basically what I wanted to know was that I hadnt missed something.

For me this will probably solve itself, as im thinking of only adding half Control to damage...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when jedi are fighting those who have high strengths, such as barbells, wookies etc, and the are on force points, that 10d damage (6d control, 5d lightsaber -1d for maps) does not look so overbearing.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, when jedi are fighting those who have high strengths, such as barbells, wookies etc, and the are on force points, that 10d damage (6d control, 5d lightsaber -1d for maps) does not look so overbearing.

(Do you get a map to damage? Thought it was based in the Control Skill, not an action in it self).

Well 11D or 10D vs 6D, its either insta-kill or insta-knockout, whats the difference? Still no point in learing a techniqe (or pay/hunt for a crystal) to get +1D in damage..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

There are several, this is just one from the Shii-Cho Form:

Heavy Strike. Difficulty +5. A two-handed strike that hits the opponent hard, and therefore deals +1D damage.

And also there are the crystal rules.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

(Do you get a map to damage? Thought it was based in the Control Skill, not an action in it self).

I see now that is the case, but the point stands.

I think Ill have to either focus on other bonuses or penalties (to hit, to parry, etc) and redoo some of the +1d techniques increasing the damage bonus but at some kind of trad off.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Well 11D or 10D vs 6D, its either insta-kill or insta-knockout, whats the difference? Still no point in learing a techniqe (or pay/hunt for a crystal) to get +1D in damage..

Some (like me) believe that your control skill should be penalized for the MAPS of holding up LS combat and taking any actions.. so someone who has 5d in it, would effectively have 3d if he only takes one swipe to add to damage.

As to the 11d versus 6, i was saying that maybe those damage add ons are for those races WHEN THEY have spent a FP. So that 5d barbel who has 1d of natural armor, now is at 11d when on a fp.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Some (like me) believe that your control skill should be penalized for the MAPS of holding up LS combat and taking any actions.. so someone who has 5d in it, would effectively have 3d if he only takes one swipe to add to damage.

As to the 11d versus 6, i was saying that maybe those damage add ons are for those races WHEN THEY have spent a FP. So that 5d barbel who has 1d of natural armor, now is at 11d when on a fp.

I dont question that you can find some circumstances where the damage bonus might come in handy. But if youre waiting for a Barabel / Wookie to spend a force point to have use of your special training, then perhaps just making a full parry and attack next round instead is more effective.

Ill go with either greater damage bonuses (2D) for some kind of tradeoff (In the above example perhaps a penalty to initiative), in the cases of techniques with damage modifications.

(I use half Control as a damage bonus to the lightsabers base damage. On the other hand I cant be bothered to recalculate the Control bonus taking MAP into account so it kind of (almost) evens out).
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said previously, the +1D things are largely for narrative flavour, more than rolling benefit... though they do apply when a non-Jedi or a Jedi not using LSC wield the weapon too, so it becomes more significant in that case. I'm really not sure that altering the rules to make them stronger (which is what you're implying, may not be what you mean by altering the rules) will affect cases not assisted by the Force more than it will with Force assistance; which is something to watch for.

More of the issue is, as you note, with LSC, not with the power levels of the house rules. Though as written, the LSC bonuses do nicely mirror what we see in the original trilogy where lightsabers slice through enemies like a forced air blow torch through warm butter... It's effortless for Obi-wan, Luke and Vader to slice through enemies, and that's nicely portrayed by LSC. Yeah, it makes Jedi damage power houses compared to regular characters... but, well, that's how it is Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are a couple of options/house rules that could make the befnit more useful.

For example, if the GM limits "bonus" dice from Control based on the difference between the attack and parry (like in the SpecForces book). I find that this mimics what we see in the films a bit better than the hit/cut in two, method that is common to the RPG.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I find that this mimics what we see in the films a bit better than the hit/cut in two, method that is common to the RPG.

Really? Other than a glancing hit here and there, what examples are there of a single lightsabre slash not being fatal?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TESB: Luke hits Vader in shoulder, Vader moans.
TESB: Vader cuts off Lukes hand
TPM: Maul stabs Qui-Gonn
ATOC: Obi-Wan cuts off Grievous' arms individually
ATOC: Dooku slashes Obi-Wans leg and arm, and cuts off Ani's arm
ROS: Obi-Wan slashes Ani THREE times cutting off legs and an arm

There are probably more but I'm just shootin' from the hip.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
ATOC: Obi-Wan cuts off Grievous' arms individually

True that wasn't fatal, but I wouldn't really count that. Completely technological hands were cut off. Greivous had even less biology left than Vader. This is likewise the same as with Luke cutting off Vader's hand in RotJ. Not fatal, but then only machinery was cut.

jmanski wrote:
TPM: Maul stabs Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon died from that stab wound, so that would actually be considered "fatal". He was mortally wounded and just remained conscious for bit before he died. Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: