The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WotC Star Wars Announcement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> WotC Star Wars Announcement Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: WotC Star Wars Announcement Reply with quote

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22320337/Wizards_of_the_Coast_announcement

Well, there had been some speculation here about the sourcebooks coming out (and their trickling off). But now it's official: WotC is not going to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm.

Of course that begs the question: who might pick it up next?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for notifying us, Rerun.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad WEG can't/won't pick it up again. Would love to see D6 brought back to life. Hopefully whoever grabs it will do good things.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't think it will happen, I'd be glad to see Margret Weis pick it up. The Cortex System has a really similar feel to D6.

Still though, WotC did put out some decent stuff during the Saga run, still though it'll be interesting to see which directing the franchise takes. Although if Wizards couldn't make it financially viable, I doubt that many companies are going to be terribly eager to pick it up.

Let me make you a picture!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the D20 SW system was convoluted crap, but the production of the books were almost always very good....

Seems like rough times for PnP RPGs in general..

Wonder what happens now (I havent followed the WEG soap but I understand from your comments they are out of the picture)..
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I wasn't following this at all about WOTC so I never saw this coming.
Lee
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
It's too bad WEG can't/won't pick it up again. Would love to see D6 brought back to life. Hopefully whoever grabs it will do good things.

Well, not that it's likely to happen, but with the D6 OGL nearly solidified anybody could buy the license and use the D6 rules to drive it. Plus they could use any OGL material that might improve any areas in need of improvement...

I'd imagine that the odds of a company paying that kind of money and not wanting it to be very much their own unique beast are pretty slim, unfortunately.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the odds of any company picking it up any time soon are pretty slim. WotC couldn't make it commercially viable, and that makes me wonder who could in this phase of the economy.

Also, there is some talk on other boards about who might pick it up, and someone was saying (making this just internet rumor) that WotC got the license as part of a Hasbro agreement until 2020. If that is true (and I'm not exactly sure how it can be if WotC can just walk away from the license), then nothing would be possible for another 10 years.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Well, not that it's likely to happen, but with the D6 OGL nearly solidified anybody could buy the license and use the D6 rules to drive it. Plus they could use any OGL material that might improve any areas in need of improvement...

I'd imagine that the odds of a company paying that kind of money and not wanting it to be very much their own unique beast are pretty slim, unfortunately.

I agree. And welcome to the Pit, Lee. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Lucasfilm chimes in Reply with quote

The official statement: Lucasfilm chimes in on Star Wars.com

Quote:
...Lucas Licensing continues to see miniatures, roleplaying games and card games as viable and important elements in its Star Wars licensing program, both in digital form (like the recently launched trading card game within Star Wars Galaxies), and in physical products like figures, books and cards. Keep checking StarWars.com for announcements regarding future products in this area in the coming months.

Very PR-sounding. RPGs are referred to as game "books" and they are further lumped in with "products in this area". Keep in mind their last sentence doesn't mean all three types of products listed will be announced. Just products in that general catagory. All the products mentioned are but a teeny, tiny corner of the Star Wars mega-publishing/merchandising empire. The machine will march on without an RPG and barely even notice its absence.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Very PR-sounding Indeed! Rolling Eyes

...Unfortunately, I don't have the many thousands of $ in cash to license a Star Wars RPG (don't think I haven't pondered it though Twisted Evil ). They won't take 20,000 Republic Daktaries...but I digress Wink
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it implies that they are at least moderately interested in producing more products in the future. There's no telling how interested they are in re-starting the line in any sort of time frame, or even which products they want to go forward. Nonetheless, in the mean time, I'm looking forward to the break.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could see sourcebooks for X-Wing series and LotF (hopefully fanmade is coming).

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Also, there is some talk on other boards about who might pick it up, and someone was saying (making this just internet rumor) that WotC got the license as part of a Hasbro agreement until 2020. If that is true (and I'm not exactly sure how it can be if WotC can just walk away from the license), then nothing would be possible for another 10 years.

Sadly, if it is true, WotC could just walk away. It happens all the time. When a company gets a liscense to a story or setting, they are usually under to obligation to actually produce anything. It happens with films and TV all the time. Someone buys the option to make a movie, and then can't find backing, or the right cast.

WotC could, in theory, bury the license for the next decade, if they have that agreement. Their predecessor (TSR) used to buy up companies and bury competing rule systems.

But, I doubt they have such a contract. For one thing, I don't think Lucas made such a long term agreement. For another, I'm sure they would find ways to exert pressure or get out of the contract if WotC wasn't producing SW product.

I wouldn't doubt that someone will probably pick the game up. Just because WotC isn't satisfied with their results doesn't mean that another company won't be. People were saying the same thing about Lord of the Rings after the Decipher disaster, and now Cublic 7 has picked it up. I suspect this has more to do with WotC in general than the Star Wars RPG line.

Personally, I'd love to see a d6 or EABA Star Wars RPG, but I'm afraid we will probably see someone like Mongoose Publishing pick it up. They have been snagging a lot of licenses.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Let's all keep our fingers crossed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: