The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I gotta ask - whats the point of a normal blaster pistol?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> I gotta ask - whats the point of a normal blaster pistol? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: I gotta ask - whats the point of a normal blaster pistol? Reply with quote

this has been playing on my mind for a while.

I mean, really? they don't have the concealment of a holdout blaster, and they usually have at least 1d less than a heavy blaster, and sometimes a slightly better range.

I can understand the visual of there being an "in between" gun, but for player purpose that's all it ends up being. A drop in damage for the sake of the image of the character.
Critias
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting the "sometimes" better range part? The default ranges on blaster pistols are way better than on heavies.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just looking at those in Gry's Weapons Stats PDF

Range

Most standard blaster pistols top out at over a hundred meters in range versus the 50 to 60 meters most heavy blaster pistols top out at. On top of that most standard blaster pistols have a medium range toping out at 30 meters or more vs topping out at 25 meters as is the case of most heavy blaster pistols. That means you have a slightly to significantly longer range to make a moderate roll in. Range goes to the standard blaster pistol over the heavy blaster pistol.

Cost

Most standard blaster pistols are under 600 credits, most being 500. The majority of heavy blaster pistols are 750 and they just go up from there. It's more affordable to purchase a standard blaster pistol, so cost goes to the standard blaster pistol.

Ammo

Most standard blasters pistols have an ammo capacity of 50 or 100 rounds. Not bad, means you can go for a while before you have to swap out power packs. Most heavy blaster pistols have a capacity of 25 to 30 rounds. Well, they do more damage, but you'll be swapping out a lot sooner than you may like. Another victory to the standard blaster pistol.

Spare Power Pack cost

Where listed, the power packs of most standard blaster pistols is 25 credits. Where listed, the power packs of most heavy blaster pistols is 25 credits. This one is a tie.

Availability

Most standard blaster pistols are either available all over the galaxy or in large cities/spaceports/planet of origin and are not specialized. Also, most standard blaster pistols just require a fee/permit or a liscence to purchase, few are likely to be illegal on most planets. The majority of heavy blaster pistols is likely to be illegal on most planets, but most at least require a fee/permit or a liscence to purchase. Again most are either available all over the galaxy or in large cities/spaceports/planet of origin and are not specialized. So this looks like a second tie.

Damage

This is the only place where the heavy blaster pistol really wins out over the standard blaster pistol as the vast majority of heavy blaster pistols packs more of a punch than the vast majority of the standard blaster pistol.

So it's three wins, one loss and two ties for the standard blaster pistol versus one win, three losses, and two ties for the heavy blaster pistol.

Personally, I'd take the standard blaster pistol and have the damage modded so folks would just think it's a normal standard blaster, until they find out it's packing the same kick as a heavy blaster pistol.

Wanted Poster

Last edited by Hellcat on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually place the availability of regular blasters being less restrictive than heavies as a win for the regulars...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And besides all that, the point of a blaster pistol is to have something a little less lethal than a heavy blaster. Characters don't always get to chose the weapons they use, and even if they prefer the heavy blaster, occasionally they will be stuck with a normal pistol which will make things a bit harder for them. Likewise, it's a good option for the GM who wants to give the players more of a fighting chance. It would be ridiculous to arm those guards with hold-out blasters, but it's perfectly acceptable for them to be carrying normal pistols instead of heavy blasters.

That said, never underestimate the lethality of a blaster pistol. In my group we have a running joke about a blaster pistol shot being the most lethal thing in the galaxy. Sometimes players get complacent when faced with enemies armed with just pistols, and I've seen a fair share of them pay dearly for their mistake.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat, Garhkal and Gry have it. The fact that a standard pistol is more accessible, has greater range and ammo capacity are the major benefits. You can walk around in more places with a standard than you can with a heavy, they cost less, are more flexible and probably won't leave you standing with an empty gun very often.

Given that most enemies aren't super strong or encased in duracrete armour, 4Dish damage is usually more than you need to put someone down.

The only real appeal to a heavy is the Han Solo factor and a desire to roll more dice at a time Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last session I GMed I had my crew undercover on the Kuari Princess. After a bunch of Rodian Pirates, with 2D+2 strength and no body armor, took out the meager security force my players took them on. Since they were undercover the only weapons they had were blaster pistols so that's what they used.

My players rolled 4D damage versus my Rodians' 2D+2 strength. I went on a high rolling streak and they might as well have been shooting at rancors.

On the other hand, in the game I play in I use a 4D pistol and I'm usually wounding Stormies in one shot, sometimes more then just wounding.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Opens mouth*
*Inserts foot*
*Hops away*
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill have to say that pistols are mainly a contingency plan if the situation does not make carrying a heavy blaster impossible. By the RAW heavy blasters are not larger than pistols, I have changed that. If a pistol is a Glock at most, the heavy blaster is the Desert Eagle.. Oh, of course the style of the character might make him carry a blaster pistol or sporting blaster instead..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, range is a big factor. And not just max range, which a blaster has more than double of a heavy blaster. Longer range also means lower difficulties. Some targets which are long range for a heavy are medium range for a standard blaster, and some targets which are medium range for a heavy are short range for a standard blaster. So with a heavy blaster, you are giving up a lot of max range, and some shots within range are harder to make.

And regarding the cost, it is not just that the base price is little higher. As mentioned, availability is a factor as well. In places where a heavy blaster is more restricted, it will likely have higbher permit fees. And for places where they are flat-out illegal (or if the character can't or doesn't want to get a legal permit), then you are looking at a substantially higher price on the black market, up to five times more expensive than the base heavy blaster price.

And an ammo power pack in a standard blaster lasts four times longer than in a heavy blaster. So if you have the cash for the heavy and more power packs, are usually invovled in close range fire-fights of 7 meters distance or less, and your fire-fights usually last 25 shots or less, then perhaps a heavy blaster would be more advantageous.

Perhaps these things are true for Han Solo, but maybe there is another factor. Maybe among gun-toting citizens of Empire, having a heavy blaster at your side is a statement. Maybe there is an intimidation factor because having a heavy blaster might imply that you are good enough in skill to compensate for the harder difficulties and shorter max range, and you are still deadlier. Maybe it suggests that your fire-fights are always over in 25 shots or less... 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han's pretty much a threat with a heavy blaster cause he practices alot with his as well as uses it a lot. The Special Edition sourcebook pegs him at blaster: heavy blaster pistol 9D+1 as of the Battle of Yavin and 10D as of the Battle of Hoth. But he's got to sacrifice range for damage. In many ways you could peg Han as an old time gun slinger. Most PCs just starting out aren't going to have as high a stat in the specialization as Han does unless their willing to give up improving other skills.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind'a like the image it says to people when they see someone wearing a Jengarddin double edged vibro sword...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Kind'a like the image it says to people when they see someone wearing a Jengarddin double edged vibro sword...

I dont feel heavy blasters make people look like dorks. Laughing
Critias
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
In many ways you could peg Han as an old time gun slinger.

Very much so.

Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook even has rules in it for Old West style fast-draw fights (since both Han and Gallandro, both very central characters to the novels the Corporate Sector is presented in, are very much old time gunslingers).
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Gallarando is the Hollywood style Old West gunslinger, no need to peg him as such.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: