The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship Parts and Ship Manufacturers and Rules for
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ship Parts and Ship Manufacturers and Rules for Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Ship Parts and Ship Manufacturers and Rules for Reply with quote

Hi all, need help brain storming.

Need some notes on on star ship parts makers and special rules for some of em, and the parts made by them... This is touched on in Tramp Frieghters some, but can use some help codifying beter.

For intance im looking at

Ship Manufacturer Ship/Componant Templates:

(you can apply to most any exiting ship stats and rename. Whala! Instant new model, and can also aply to individual ship parts)

Corellian Engineering Corporation and Shobqix Shipards: CEC and Shobquix made parts and vessels are designed being universal or easy to modify and adding a +1D to insall attempts and a +5 bonus to modification attempts. other wise being standard weight and cost for and/or examples for type. the Down side these parts are in High Demand and cost 20% more then standard.

Incom/SubPro/FrieTek: Income, SubPro and FrieTek Ships and Componants are Duruble and Easy to mantain, Add a +3 bonus to All Repair Rolls to these ships, Componannts and parts, otherwise being standard examples of their type. Incom/Frietek designs are will known and often knocked off, so parts are fairly common to come by, costing about 10% less. The down side many of these parts are considered miliary or paramilitary equipment often and require more licensing or fees, decresing legalities by one to a max of a X rating

Gallofree Yards: Gallofree Parts and Ships tend to be Inexpensive, uninspired, bulky, but simple to maintain. Add +3 Bonus to all repair rolls, but, the bulky parts and systems mass 50% more then comparabable items, but cost on average 25% less as well.

Ghtroc: Like Corelian Componants, Ghtroc Parts and Ships are Easy as Rishcate to Modify, adding a +5 bonus on all modifications rolls, though not as easy to install, the are easy to Repair though also adding +3 to all repair rolls. One issue is the company is outa buisness, though copy cat manufacturers do brisk buisness making ghtroc parts. making these componants 1 level rarer in avavilabilit to 4 max.

Kazellis/Mandal Motors: Kazellis Corperations and Mandal Motors Ships and parts are in fact much more modular then even the famed Corelian Enginering Corporation's products, though uncommon (though occasionally duplicated by many illegal copycat shipyards). Instalation of parts is One step Less in Dificulty, and Repairs and Modifications Recieve a +5 Bonus to all attemps. Downside is, these componants (And vessels) are a little harder to find upping the price to about 20% more then the normal for similar items.

Koensayr: Like CEC Parts and Ships often are, Koensayr's offings are very modular and easily install on most any vessel, adding a +1D bonus to instalation attempts, but, not as modifiable, they are however common, and inexpensive, and easily found and cost on average 10% less to purchase. Again, down side many of these parts are considered miliary or paramilitary equipment often and require more licensing or fees, decresing legalities by one to a max of a X rating

Kuat Drive Yards/Rothana Engineering/Kuat Systems Engineering and Rendili Star Drives: Parts ands Ships from Kuat Drive Yards and its Spinoffs and Redili Star Drives tend to be cuting edge and also High Preformance. Reduce Mass of these parts by 1/4th and incresse Whole vessels speed and cargo by 25% and Manuverability by 1D . However they are expensive costing 25% more on the market.

Mon Calamari: Mon Cals veiw there technological works as Art, this means there ships are very highly individualized. However many of the parts that go into them are a bit more standardized. They tend to be Durable, with multiple redundancies, but slight bulkier. They are high quality though. Add a +5 bonus to repair rolls to these vessels and componants, but add 1/4 extra to mass of componants, also add 1D to manueverability, and 1D to shields to Mon cal made vessels. One Problem is it takes some one familiar with Mon Cal Starship Technology to properly install on other vessels and a skill in "(S) Starfighter, Space Transport, or Capital Ship Repair (As apropriate): Mon Calamari Tech" is suficient unless a Quarren, or Mon Calimari ones' self.

Nondescript Manufacturers: Nothing Special: Standard Example of Type, Generally Reliable, cost are typhically less then standard.

Nuubian and Surronian: Nuubian and Surronian Ships and Parts are some of the best of the best of them (and the most expensive) Exceedingly Compact and Highly Advanced, they are popular with those who can afford them. Add +50% to speed, +1D to maneuverability, +1D to to to each Sensor mode, and +100% to sensor range for all modes. Nuubian and Suuronian Parts mass a mere 1/4th of other makers offerings, but you pay for it, as they are at a price tag of 100% more then other makers comparable offerings. They are HIGHY RESISTANT to Breakdown and Abuse, but expensive to fix when they do, costing 25% more to repair and also repairs take 25% longer to acomplish.

Sienar/Silvvuit: These tend to be Compact, Durable, and use Ultra High prerformance parts, they are rare outside of military use, but can be found on the secondary markets. The Ships on Average have 50% more speed, +1D in Manever dice, and have 50% more Cargo and Sensor Range and Componants on average mass 50% less then comparable manufacturers, but cost 50% more. Once agin, the down side many of these parts are considered miliary or paramilitary equipment or special order often and require more licensing or fees, decresing availabilities and legaliies by one to a max of a X rating

Slayn and Korpil: These parts are Inovative, and tend to be, powerful and compact, but difificult sometimes to Install and Attune to a Vessel, and as well often have, an undeserved reputation, as verpine made add-on products as "Twitchy", so while they ten to be Compact and reliable once properly installed, the instalation can prove dificult at times, do to how the verpine design things, thus they cost a good 25% Less, and are 1/2 the size in typical mass, but very hard to install, incresing the dificuly by One step, due to the slightly diferent way verpine design things. there wholely finished ships are sought after though, having good power to mass and functional, inovative desgin (Add any two of the folling to any Slayn and Korpil Made Vessel: Add +50% to speed or +1D to maneuverability or +1D to to to each Sensor mode, +1D to Shields, or +50%% to sensor range for all modes), but command a good 25% more from star ship conaseurs.

Sorrosuub: SorroSuub Parts are mainly compatable with SorroSuub Ships (+1D to install on SorroSuub Manufactued Vessels), but have dificulties with installation on other makes (increase the difficulty by One Step to install on Non-SorroSuub Made Vessels), however their good traits when installed, being very easy to repair,once installed, and maintain (+3 to all repair rolls), and fairly compact (mass 3/4ths that of comparable systems) make up for that. They are also resonalbly common as much as Koensayr parts nearly, and cost 10% less due to wide market penetration. The vessels them selves are Durable and functional, and share the +3 to repair all rolls.and as well are fairly inexpensive. costing about 10% less then comparable offerings.

Suwantek: Suwantek has some of the most reliable parts in the galaxy, requiring little maintenance, and are very easy to repair. Repairs/Maintence on these parts are One Dificulty Level Easier to Perform, the vessels themselves are marketed very inexpensively and on average cost 30% to 40% less the comparable items. On the other Hand while the vesels themselves are inexpensive, the parts are above average in price, and cost and additional 20% but sume captains see their reliability as worth it.

There are numerous makers of ships and parts out there, and so im looking for just the major ones and ideas for them....

Last edited by Panzerjedi on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:02 pm; edited 26 times in total
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now i need to figure out how to do Slayn and Korpil made ships. Any ideas?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an interesting start. My question is whether these bonuses apply only if you are installing them on a ship of the same make? That is to say, do I get these bonuses from Gallofree Yards if I'm trying to install a similar part on a Sienar craft.

Also, all of these parts seem to give bonuses. Are there any parts that are cheap to acquire but more difficult to install? Is there anything that tends to resist a breakdown, but once it does it's disproportionately expensive to fix?
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I think this is an interesting start. My question is whether these bonuses apply only if you are installing them on a ship of the same make? That is to say, do I get these bonuses from Gallofree Yards if I'm trying to install a similar part on a Sienar craft.

Also, all of these parts seem to give bonuses. Are there any parts that are cheap to acquire but more difficult to install? Is there anything that tends to resist a breakdown, but once it does it's disproportionately expensive to fix?

This is sorta the prototype, and yes im working on it... would like some assistance and ideas. and yes those are some ideas im looking at.

yes to your example above, but only to that and that one part installed.

Some times though, and as above I listed indiviual manufacturers for the hull/super structure. Too, usually is a bonus is from the hull it applies to mods to the hulls and similar like manueverability and shields.

Also, in cases where a part has a similar bonus/modifier, to the hull's, you use only one, the best one, in such cases as instalation and similar...

I wanted to leave gms some room to interperate themselves.

Right now im thinking Slayn and Korpil ships and parts are very resitant to break down but a pain to fix. right now concidering droping the cost mod for non descript but that's a thought.

[Edit Made the Verpine parts hard to install, but inovative and cheap, and nubian parts exeedingly reliable, but expensive to repair when they do break. as well did away with the cost modified for non descript manufacturers.]

Last edited by Panzerjedi on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:58 am; edited 5 times in total
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now figuring out how to Characterize Rendili Stardrives parts and such. hummm......... Confused
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - this is fantastic! When this is complete I'd love to steal it for a future mechanics book I've been thinking about.

Several things:

1) it's amazing that someone has taken the time to do this. Kudos!

2) agreed with Cheshire, we could use some negative modifiers for parts that are troublesomez

3) maybe I missed it, but when you say "resistant to damage," is that reflected in a game mechanic? How do people treat this in games? When you take a hit on the starboard stabilizer, do you roll Body on the stabilizer to resist damage? Come to think of it, do people use / is there a common scale for Body damage (doors, engines, etc) to resist damage? In 18 years I've never used one.

4) just so I understand, this is for finding a comparable part from another manufacturer when you already have a part in mind, right? Like f say you have a broken Corellian Engineering x2 hyperdrive, this lets you easily stat out the cost and functionality for a Nubian version, right?

5) With so many Rebellion era manufactures represented, I'd love to see some from the TOR era. You have my current beta of the TOR book, right? Be great to see Duwani, Czerka, Droumond Kalakar, Systech, etc. in fact, it would be good to see droid and weapons manufacturers too - Industrial Automation, Cybot Galactica, Blastech, GSI, Tli'Chas, etc. contact me for
More info, I've set out basic characteristics of those TOR companies.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Wow - this is fantastic! When this is complete I'd love to steal it for a future mechanics book I've been thinking about.

No prob. Feel Free to use. why i put here Wink

Mojomoe wrote:
Several things:

Absuloute, will try ty to answer Smile

Mojomoe wrote:
1) it's amazing that someone has taken the time to do this. Kudos!

Thanks I thought it had to be done, I've been thinking of this a while.

Mojomoe wrote:
2) agreed with Cheshire, we could use some negative modifiers for parts that are troublesomez

Indeed I included a few, but some more ideas, to add, are always wellcomed. Very Happy

Mojomoe wrote:
3) maybe I missed it, but when you say "resistant to damage," is that reflected in a game mechanic? How do people treat this in games? When you take a hit on the starboard stabilizer, do you roll Body on the stabilizer to resist damage? Come to think of it, do people use / is there a common scale for Body damage (doors, engines, etc) to resist damage? In 18 years I've never used one.

I meant "breakdown" slightly diferent thing, but, in essence can mean, 1 either requires half to aquarter of the normal maintenence or 2. when modified, you use the misshap tables to a lesser degree/potency.. i leave it largely to gm interpetation.

Mojomoe wrote:
4) Just so I understand, this is for finding a comparable part from another manufacturer when you already have a part in mind, right? Like f say you have a broken Corellian Engineering x2 hyperdrive, this lets you easily stat out the cost and functionality for a Nubian version, right?

Yes, and serve all as templates that can be alplied to annother manufactures ship hull, to make a new model....... so you can take say a Barloz Medium Freighter and a appyi a "Numbian" made Telplate to it change aperence and name/model designation....... and you have an instant new design rather the haveing to make of many of the hundrels of thousands of ship models and manufacturers out there.

Mojomoe wrote:
5) With so many Rebellion era manufactures represented, I'd love to see some from the TOR era. You have my current beta of the TOR book, right? Be great to see Duwani, Czerka, Droumond Kalakar, Systech, etc. in fact, it would be good to see droid and weapons manufacturers too - Industrial Automation, Cybot Galactica, Blastech, GSI, Tli'Chas, etc. contact me for more info, I've set out basic characteristics of those TOR companies.

Sure, Thing is I know little of the Tor Era but i can work with you on some. Smile
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there has to be some downside to every advantage gained or it makes the base system pointless (Nondescript Manufacturers: Nothing Special: Standard). Even if it is a slightly higher cost, you've got to have some downside. Taking the first one on your list, if I'm modifying my ship I could just buy CEC components at the standard weight for the standard price, and I get these bonuses compared to buying generic components for the same weight and price. That doesn't make sense to me. Why would anyone not buy these advantageous brand names? How could generic products still be on the market when everyone else would buy the better alternatives?

Consider some balancing factors for all the manufacturers (that only provide bonuses like higher cost, deceased availability, etc. I also suggest considering that not every manufacturer's components are going to be compatible with each other and on ships of every other manufacturer. Calamari components may be modular and work in any Calamari ship, but they may extremely difficult to use on more mainstream manufacturers. And the level of component versatility would be an aspect of manufacturer business models. Some may go the route of a lower priced ship (or some other advantage) but more strictly require specialized manufacturer components, while others may try to sell you on the perk of being able to use a large variety of other manufacture components for your ship.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I agree that there has to be some downside to every advantage gained or it makes the base system pointless (Nondescript Manufacturers: Nothing Special: Standard). Even if it is a slightly higher cost, you've got to have some downside. Taking the first one on your list, if I'm modifying my ship I could just buy CEC components at the standard weight for the standard price, and I get these bonuses compared to buying generic components for the same weight and price. That doesn't make sense to me. Why would anyone not buy these advantageous brand names? How could generic products still be on the market when everyone else would buy the better alternatives?

Consider some balancing factors for all the manufacturers (that only provide bonuses like higher cost, deceased availability, etc. I also suggest considering that not every manufacturer's components are going to be compatible with each other and on ships of every other manufacturer. Calamari components may be modular and work in any Calamari ship, but they may extremely difficult to use on more mainstream manufacturers. And the level of component versatility would be an aspect of manufacturer business models. Some may go the route of a lower priced ship (or some other advantage) but more strictly require specialized manufacturer components, while others may try to sell you on the perk of being able to use a large variety of other manufacture components for your ship.

nods..... the incompatibility issues maybe a bit extra complexity, but an idea........... as to the first componant slightly to moderaly increased price? last ill tinker with some and and allso think on the compatability issules.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of decreased availability.

Has there ever been a system for availability, as an interplay of the Availability code (1,2,3,4, R X or F) and Bargain? Like, I roll my Bargain skill with a dealer, and the part I want is modified by its Availability and my location (boonies vs core worlds), to determine if I find the part I want?
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
I love the idea of decreased availability.

Has there ever been a system for availability, as an interplay of the Availability code (1,2,3,4, R X or F) and Bargain? Like, I roll my Bargain skill with a dealer, and the part I want is modified by its Availability and my location (boonies vs core worlds), to determine if I find the part I want?

to the 1st I'd have to look.......

to the 2nd Added some notes on availbilitys and/or legality codes for some.... any other excelent ideas by folks? Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC from the stock ships book (might have been pirates and privateers) some ship manufacturers make it easy to upgrade their ships using other parts (giving +5 or so to the roll) while other manufacturers make it harder (adds to the difficulty for upgrades)

So first off you would need to go through the complete ships book to find out which makers are in the former camp while which are in the latter.

Then you could say have it where parts made by the former manufacturer, are generic enough they always give a mod for install on other ships, while those from the latter are harder to use. But offset it with say those from the former company are more prone to breakdown or mishaps, while those from the latter are more rugged.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IIRC from the stock ships book (might have been pirates and privateers) some ship manufacturers make it easy to upgrade their ships using other parts (giving +5 or so to the roll) while other manufacturers make it harder (adds to the difficulty for upgrades)

So first off you would need to go through the complete ships book to find out which makers are in the former camp while which are in the latter.

Then you could say have it where parts made by the former manufacturer, are generic enough they always give a mod for install on other ships, while those from the latter are harder to use. But offset it with say those from the former company are more prone to breakdown or mishaps, while those from the latter are more rugged.

I did to a large degree..... sorossuub is famous (or infimous) for the later, while cec and kazellis are famous for the former. That though is best demonstrated by the individual gm using the mishap tables. Invoking as GM feels needed IMHO.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off , nicely done.

Mon Calamari: Add a +5 bonus to repair rolls to these vessels and componants, but add 1/4 extra to mass of componants, also add 1D to manueverability, and 1D to shields to whole vessels.

How does this work? If I put in a Mon cal part I get 1D to man and 1D Shields regardless of what it is? If so Im installing some mon cal refreshers.
Shocked

Kazellis/Mandal Motors:(though occasionally duplicated by many illegal copycat shipyards) maybe have the pc roll a perception or value check and if they fail they buy this part at the price but get none of the benefits as it is a knockoff.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
First off , nicely done.

Thanks!! Very Happy

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
Mon Calamari: Add a +5 bonus to repair rolls to these vessels and componants, but add 1/4 extra to mass of componants, also add 1D to manueverability, and 1D to shields to whole vessels.

How does this work? If I put in a Mon cal part I get 1D to man and 1D Shields regardless of what it is? If so Im installing some mon cal refreshers.
Shocked

Well this is all a template you canm apply to any vessel types stats to make tha "Manufacturer's" Direct "Equivelent" for instance, you apply the Moncal template to a "Ghrock 720" it not a Ghtrock 720 now but a "Mon Calimari ship Yards Even Tide" Model.... if you get the jist. I made a edit to make the language on more clear

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
Kazellis/Mandal Motors:(though occasionally duplicated by many illegal copycat shipyards) maybe have the pc roll a perception or value check and if they fail they buy this part at the price but get none of the benefits as it is a knockoff.

Depends on the Quality of the Knockoff actiall some are bad some not, a few you can barely tell the dirence (Has been ripped off by chinese fakes that while not what the seem are close enough in quality you can't tell barely, am loathe to admit).

Last edited by Panzerjedi on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: