The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Practical Application for Disturbances in the Force Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the 'scary' moments people loved in sparks when i gmed, was in one game, they saw both Inquisitor Tremelayne and Vader show up on different shuttles with their own stormie squads, and overheard them saying the 2 targets were there with 5 other people of interest.. (It was a group of npcs they were after, but the pcs didn;t know that).. You should have seen the look of concern the 2 party jedi were having and the strain they had to NOT use the force for anything there after.
Even though that 'visit' happens regardless of party make up (kinda flavor backround).

I find that bringing in too heavy artillery make the players feel railroaded. The know they are meant to run away screaming, spoling the effect. It makes the game feel less 'open' when it comes to interaction with the world.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Were you at all concerned that the party needs to rely on out of character knowledge to know their PCs shouldn't tackle Vader or Tremayne?

I think eveyone in the SW galaxy knows not to take on Vader by both his reputation and presense.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that should be some sort of Very Easy Knowledge roll.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Were you at all concerned that the party needs to rely on out of character knowledge to know their PCs shouldn't tackle Vader or Tremayne?

Nope.. this group was keeping most everythig IC for the entire 3hr 45 min we were gaming. Heck most conversationing between pcs was IC.. the only OOC talk was when i as gm was asking them (or the other way) something.
One of the few groups i had that lovely experience with in sparks.

Quote:
I think eveyone in the SW galaxy knows not to take on Vader by both his reputation and presense.

I had a few pcs in home games (and 3 in sparks i have been with) so far, who DID want to try and tackle him!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Bren wrote:

Yet we see Han draw against Vader in ESB and IIR he seems surprised when he doesn't win. Also, in the Corporate Sector interview he makes a comment that indicates he was surprised that his draw was unsuccessful.

Also somehow his origin is a total mystery to everyone? I guess the 501st is just very, very quiet. Rolling Eyes

I think it is not clear to most people in universe how powerful Vader is or how real the Force is. Otherwise it is hard to justify Han's "hokie religions" comment in ANH.

As far as Tremayne goes, I think in universe people see the Inquistoriate as similar to the Gestapo in Nazi Germany. An Inquisitor showing up is bad news, but there is not necessarily a reason to think the inquisitor has party killing weird force abilities. He may just be a vicious little weasel like coat-hanger guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ran with an Imp inquisitor who was NOT a force inquisitor.. but more of the interrogator type.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Yet we see Han draw against Vader in ESB and IIR he seems surprised when he doesn't win. Also, in the Corporate Sector interview he makes a comment that indicates he was surprised that his draw was unsuccessful.

IIRC, that comment was made regarding his shoot-out with Gallandro, not Vader. As far as the Vader incident, he describes it as the best quickdraw of his life (Force Point?), but that Vader just shrugged it off like it was nothing.

Quote:
Also somehow his origin is a total mystery to everyone? I guess the 501st is just very, very quiet. :roll:

I think it is not clear to most people in universe how powerful Vader is or how real the Force is. Otherwise it is hard to justify Han's "hokie religions" comment in ANH.

One must also factor in the importance of appearance. I worked as a bouncer at a strip club for two years and never got in one single fight, mostly because I'm 6'2" and 350 lbs (i.e. I look like someone you don't want to fight, regardless of how well I can actually handle myself). The Tarkin Doctrine lays out the importance of perception in the proposal for the Death Star, and Vader is in many ways the Character-scale version of the Death Star: 2 meters tall, all in black, scary mask, scary breathing noises, and the attitude of a freight train. Anyone who takes one look at him will think twice about taking him on. Not only does Vader have a lot of sheer intimidation factor going on, he is one of those unique individuals who is actually scarier than he looks.

Quote:
As far as Tremayne goes, I think in universe people see the Inquistoriate as similar to the Gestapo in Nazi Germany. An Inquisitor showing up is bad news, but there is not necessarily a reason to think the inquisitor has party killing weird force abilities. He may just be a vicious little weasel like coat-hanger guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Something to be said for that, but anyone with Force powers (like Tremayne) can automatically ramp that weaselly creepiness up a notch.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:

IIRC, that comment was made regarding his shoot-out with Gallandro, not Vader. As far as the Vader incident, he describes it as the best quickdraw of his life (Force Point?), but that Vader just shrugged it off like it was nothing.
Yes he describes the two best quick draws. I only referenced the draw against Vader since Gallandro wasn't relevant to the point I was making.

Quote:
Quote:
Also somehow his origin is a total mystery to everyone? I guess the 501st is just very, very quiet. Rolling Eyes

One must also factor in the importance of appearance...
Yep, Vader looks tough. But looking tough is very different than - can absorb your best blaster shot, strangle you with a mere gesture, and turn the rest of your friends into lightsaber sushi. That's what we get from the movies that the PCs are not necessarily privy to.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Something to be said for that, but anyone with Force powers (like Tremayne) can automatically ramp that weaselly creepiness up a notch.
Yes, Tremayne has a coat-hanger too...a coat-hanger made out of the Dark Side of the Force. Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Yep, Vader looks tough. But looking tough is very different than - can absorb your best blaster shot, strangle you with a mere gesture, and turn the rest of your friends into lightsaber sushi. That's what we get from the movies that the PCs are not necessarily privy to.

As I said, Vader is one of those unique beings who is actually tougher than he looks. There is nothing in the original example that would drive the PCs into a stand-up fight with Vader (unless one of the PCs is a moron who attacks purely on the grounds of "Ah, he's not so tough; I can take him"). A player group of non-FS PCs would take one look at Vader and probably avoid him on general principle, never mind what a FS PC would pick up from the Force. Even if Vader is unknown to the PCs, they could get a pretty obvious clue from how others react to him; stormtroopers and other Imperials kowtowing, civilians running in fear, babies crying, etc. Just because the characters may not know exactly who Vader is doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other clues to let them know that this is not someone to mess with.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what vader's intimidation score is?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11D as of the battle on the 2nd Deathstar.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That alone should mean the party (with an ave of 3d willpower) is *8d x3.5 = 28. Being there is no official rules i have seen in the main rule book on what effect intimidation has, but i have seen several charts that list penalties for intim over willpower, that 28 is darn near always near the high end.. which has usually been around -4d / -5d...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure having a high intimidation doesn't make it an automatic function. You still have to attempt to be intimidating.

There are Force powers that generate an aura of menace but just having a lot of dice in a skill shouldn't just generate a penalty.

If Vader was attempting to intimidate a party I'd probably say that it'd be a MAP for every party member he tried to intimidate at once, some sort of strength in numbers situation.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I'm pretty sure having a high intimidation doesn't make it an automatic function. You still have to attempt to be intimidating.

There are Force powers that generate an aura of menace but just having a lot of dice in a skill shouldn't just generate a penalty.

If Vader was attempting to intimidate a party I'd probably say that it'd be a MAP for every party member he tried to intimidate at once, some sort of strength in numbers situation.

Which raises an interesting question. At what point does a character with a high skill rating perform certain actions automatically? With 11D Intimidation, even if Vader rolled straight 1's (temporarily ignoring Wild Dice), he'd still beat anything Easy difficulty and below. I think it's safe to say that, at some level, Vader doesn't have to try to be intimidating; it's just part of who he is.

Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Intimidation checks should be done as opposed rolls vs the opponent's Willpower skill. So, for the group intimidate, the party resisting could take advantage of the combined actions rule.

I don't see Intimidation being rolled against the difficulty chart in most situations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: