The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

what species is she?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> what species is she? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I was taking sociology and anthropology classes around the time E1 came out, and I came up with a solution that is, IMO, more likely than having two separate species of Gungan.

Cool idea, thanks for sharing. Whatever works for you most importantly works for you, but secondly may just happen to work for others.

crmcneill wrote:
Why does a unknown alien species have to be a hybrid anything?

It doesn't have to be a hybrid. That was just one idea I was throwing out there. It can be whatever you want it to be or nothing at all. The original poster was asking for other opinions, so I gave one. One of several.

crmcneill wrote:
Why can't it just be a new race? In a galaxy with a million or more inhabited planets, it seems far more likely that she is a member of a new, unknown species. Reproductive genetics are a highly specific thing, and the possibility of any sort of hybrid would be exceedingly rare.

I've studied biological anthropology, genetics, evolution, etc. What is extremely fantastic in a galaxy with a million inhabited planets is that there are so many similar human-like species. You can apply models of "convergent evolution" only so far before it starts to get completely rediculous. The odds against all these many species evolving independently of each other is staggering. So an exceedingly more realistic explanation is that they evolved from each other or a common ancestor, and then were spread throughout the galaxy. If these near-human species evolved from baseline humans, then it is likely their "reproductive genetics" are compatible with each other.

Look at hybrids that occur on Earth. Ever heard of all the equid hybrids? Mules, hinnies and zebroids (zorses, zonies, zeedonks, zonkeys). Canid hybrids (from Wolves, coyotes, dingoes, jackals and dogs interbreeding)? How about a Wholphin? These hybrids exist.

Hybrids are not only between different subspecies of the same species. Lions and tigers are different species of the same genus who have produced hybrid offspring. Goats and sheep are from different genera but the same family. And there are some rare interfamilial hybrids (parents are not of the same species, genus or even the same family of lifeforms)!

And the current leading theory about Neanderthals is now that they never became extinct. They were absorbed into modern humanity through interbreeding. Scientists have isolated genes in some moderns humans that were likely passed down from Neaderthal anscestors.

There is definitely a strong precidence in our world for near-humans species such as Zebrak to be able to produce hybrid offspring with humans in the Star Wars galaxy. That's what the EU says and based on my studies, that makes a lot of sense so I happen to agree. It definitely makes a lot more sense to me than, 'there just happens to be yet another very similar species from yet another similar planet'. Hybridization may even explain the origin of some of these species.

But hey, whatever works or doesn't work for you in your Star Wars universe is most important to your universe.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
...As such, Gungan society has come to be dominated by the elderly, who in turn depend on the younger Gungans for food and protection.
And if Boss Nass sees Jar Jar as a potential food source it certainly adds some depth to why Jar Jar wants Obi Wan to protect him when he returns to Gugan City towards the beginning of TPM.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. And Boss Nass doesn't look like he has any trouble getting food. But maybe he's just "big boned."
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I meant more that the older Gungans depend on the younger Gungans to actually hunt/gather for them.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: