The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

SAGA-style "Destinies"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> SAGA-style "Destinies"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: SAGA-style "Destinies" Reply with quote

Sorry for all the Jedi-centric posts. I've got The Old Republic on the brain.

Has anyone ever designed/implemented/discovered a system similar to SAGA Edition (D20)'s "Destinies" system? It seemed immensely interesting when I read it, and I was tempted to try to apply something like that to my D6 game.

The gist of it is, you decide what your character's destiny is. Example can be, "destroy the Death Star," "Confront my father, Darth Vader," "destroy the Emperor," or even "Restore the Republic and destroy the Empire."

Whenever you move toward your destiny, you get a bonus (of some kind or other, the rules spell it out). When you make a major leap towards it, you get a big boost - that you can use as a coup de grace later on, ala Force Points or Character Points. Aaaaand, if you die *fulfilling* your destiny (sacrifice), your fellow characters themselves see a HUGE boost in the short and/or long term.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Sounds terribly fascinating, and - dare I say it - Star Wars.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had actually considered mentioning this in your other topic, but it seemed just far enough off topic that I decided against it.

Yes, I have considered it, but the WOTC rules often defy easy translation. The closest I got to an idea was allowing characters with a legacy / destiny to double the value of any CPs they spent as part of their legacy trait.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting; never played any Star Wars other than WEG D6. Guess you could call me loyal Very Happy
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the WotC and FFG games, but still have only ever played WEG SW.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them all as well; I actually just recently dropped a bantha-load of kickback cash to buy up the whole FFG run. There are so many good ideas in there, and I want to support Star Wars Roleplaying for years to come!

But yeah, I've only ever played D6. I'll recite the relevant info on Destinies here (please let me know if this is not ok to reproduce here):

Quote:
Every hero has a destiny to fulfill. Players can choose their PC's destiny during character creation or later. These optional rules allow characters to gain additional benefits subject to the path they choose to follow. Originally used in Star wars: Saga edition, I've adopted it for use here.
Destiny points

Every player begins with 1 destiny point, and gains another at each new level (e.g. a 3rd level PC will have 3 destiny points). They must have chosen a destiny to receive these points.

Spending a Destiny Point does not take an action and grants one of the following benefits:

Automatically score a critical hit (no attack roll required).
Automatically cause an attack made against you to miss (even once the attack is resolved).
Act out of turn (thus changing your position in the initiative order).
Take damage that would otherwise harm another character within your reach.

A character may accumulate as many Destiny Points as he has levels. Thus, a 5th-level character may have as many as 5 Destiny Points if he doesn't spend any of them.

When a character fulfils his destiny, he can choose to keep the Destiny points he has remaining or transfer some or all of them to allied characters. A character who retains his unspent Destiny Points can't spend them until he chooses a new destiny. A character who chooses to give away some or all of his Destiny Points can't give more than 1 Destiny Point to any single ally. Under no other circumstances may a character transfer his Destiny Points to another character.

The following sample destinies should provide a starting point for any character wishing to take advantage of the destiny rules. Each destiny includes a brief description.

Destiny Bonus: When a character accomplishes a goal or performs a task that clearly moves him closer to fulfilling his destiny (GM's determination), he gains this short-term benefit.

Destiny Penalty: When a character does something that clearly moves him away from his destiny (GM's determination), he suffers this short-term negative effect.

Destiny Fulfilled: When a character fulfills his destiny, he gains these permanent benefits. Sometimes fulfilling a destiny has other effects as well; these are also covered here.
Sample Destinies
Betrayal

Your character is destined to betray the person or cause he cares the most deeply about.

Destiny Bonus: You gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls for 24 hours

Destiny Penalty: You take a -1 penalty to all defenses for 24 hours

Destiny Fulfilled: Increase two ability scores by +1 each.
Creation

You are destined to create something that will have an impact on the future of the world. It could be a organisation, magic item, or even a person.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, you and any allies within 10 squares of you gain a +1 destiny bonus to all defenses (Reflex, Fortitude, and Will).

Destiny Penalty: For 24 hours, you take a -1 destiny penalty to your defenses (Reflex, Fortitude, and Will).

Destiny Fufilled: Increase two ability scores of your choice by +1 each.
Destruction

Your destiny is to destroy a person or object, for good or evil.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, you and any allies within 10 squares of you gain a +2 destiny bonus on all damage rolls.

Destiny Penalty: You take a -2 penalty on all damage rolls for 24 hours.

Destiny Fulfilled: Increase one ability score of your choice by +2.
Discovery

Your destiny is to discover a person, species, object, or location that was either previously lost or unknown.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, you and any allies within 10 squares of you gain a +1 destiny bonus to all defenses (Reflex, Fortitude, and Will).

Destiny Penalty: You take a -1 penalty to your defenses (Reflex, Fortitude, and Will) for 24 hours.

Destiny Fulfilled: You gain a permanent +1 destiny bonus to your defenses (Reflex, Fortitude, and Will).
Education

Your destiny is to train or educate another being or group of beings in some way. Characters with this destiny are not merely teachers providing mundane training. The education that this destiny demands must be of great importance to the world, and should lay the groundwork for the beneficiaries of your tutelage to go on to fulfill destinies of their own. Only when the training is complete can this destiny be fulfilled, and the process should take many months or years to complete.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, you and any allies within 10 squares of you gain a +1 destiny bonus on skill checks and ability checks.

Destiny Penalty: You take a -2 penalty on all skill checks and ability checks for 24 hours.

Destiny Fulfilled: You gain a permanent +5 destiny bonus on checks made with one class skill of your choice .
Founder

Your destiny is to create a new society or group; this could be a tradition, a new guild, or even an empire.

Destiny Bonus: For the next 24 hours, you and any allies within 10 squares of you gain an extra +2 bonus when using the Aid Another maneuver, for a total of +4 when successfully aiding.

Destiny Penalty: You take a -2 penalty on all skill checks and ability checks for 24 hours.

Destiny Fulfilled: You gain the benefit of Skill Focus in one skill related to the society you have founded, or a +5 destiny bonus if the skill is already focused.
Heroic Self-Sacrifice

Your destiny is to stand in harms way, selflessly laying down your own life when the time is right so that one of your comrades can fulfill their destiny.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, you gain DR2. This stacks with DR from other sources.

Destiny Penalty: For 24 hours, enemies who hit you with melee or ranged attacks, or affect you with harmful magic, receive a +2 bonus to damage rolls.

Destiny fulfilled: Your surviving allies each receive a +2 bonus to their fortitude and will defense scores.
Leadership

Your destiny is to become the leader of an organization or society. It could be anything from a guild to a country.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, all allies within 10 squares of you get a +1 destiny bonus to all skill and ability checks and attack rolls. You do not get this bonus.

Destiny Penalty: You take a -2 destiny penalty to all skill and ability checks for 24 hours.

Destiny Fulfilled: You gain a permanent +5 destiny bonus on checks made with one class skill of your choice.
Redemption

Your destiny is to redeem a character that has been corrupted or otherwise turned to evil. The target of this destiny should be someone that has fallen from the light in some way, siding with evil over good. Turning someone away from their wicked ways is usually very difficult and requires far more than simple persuasion. Often a character that fulfills this destiny does not survive it, and sometimes neither does their redeemed target. Additionally, you may be your own target for this destiny, making your own redemption the means of fulfilling it.

Destiny Bonus: You gain a Hero Point.

Destiny Penalty: You lose one Hero Point. If you have no Hero Point to lose, you take a -1 penalty on attack rolls until you gain a level.

Destiny Fulfilled: You gain 3 Hero points.
Rescue

Your destiny requires you to save a person from death or an object from destruction. Often characters with this destiny will not know which person or object they're meant to save, let alone when or how to do so. They simply must be in the right place at the right time. A hero might spend months travellng with his allies before fulfilling his destiny by saving one of their lives.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, you and any allies within 10 feet of you gain a +2 destiny bonus on all damage rolls.

Destiny Penalty: You take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls for 24 hours.

Destiny Fulfilled: Increase two ability scores of your choice by +1 each.
Revelation

You are destined to expose previously some unknown or hidden truth to the world at large. The nature of this truth is fundamental and profound - it does not require rigorous dedication or tutelage.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, you and any allies involved or sympathetic to this desire for revelation gain a +1 bonus to all defense scores.

Destiny Penalty: You take a penalty of -1 to all defense scores for 24 hours.

Destiny Fulfilled: You immediately gain +1 extra Hero point and the Skill Focus feat for the Knowledge skill that is most appropriate to the subject at hand. If you already have this bonus, you gain a permanent additional +5 destiny bonus to that Knowledge skill. In roleplaying terms, you will be recognized widely as the harbinger of this information.
Romance

Your character's star is destined to be crossed with another's. Your destiny is to fall hopelessly, passionately, and possibly tragically in love with another person.

Destiny Bonus: You gain a +1 bonus on skill and ability checks for 24 hours

Destiny Penalty: You take a -2 penalty to your Will defense for 24 hours

Destiny Fulfilled: Increase all three defenses by +1. Additionally, you gain the benefit of the Harm's Way Feat if you don't already have it, but it applies to your lover only.
Self Awareness

After a long search, you discover that there's more to your real identity than you were aware of... either you are either the inheritor of some great fate, or your own past is not what it seems. You may have your memory restored, or you may learn that you have come from a more exalted heritage than you imagined.

Destiny Bonus: For 24 hours, you and your allies gain a +1 bonus to all skill checks and ability checks.

Destiny Penalty: For 24 hours, you take a -2 penalty to your Will defense.

Destiny Fulfilled: You immediately gain +1 extra Hero point, a permanent +1 to an ability score, and a permanent +1 to your Will defense.

This info is originally from the SAGA rulebook, pg 112, but has been pulled from this page:
http://orcedinburgh.co.uk/wiki/Hero_Points_and_Destiny_Points

I find this a very interesting system. Other than the small changes to what bonuses it actually grants (Dex, etc) from SAGA to D6 mechanics, the system looks workable from the get-go.

Or it could be modified and just used as a foundation. What do people think?
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think just listing a destiny at character generation, and doling out additional Force points when the PC makes significant headway in fulfilling their destiny or achieves it. Alternatively, when they're at a point of doing either, they gain one Force point for immediate use per turn (as if they were drawing upon the Dark Side).

Playing "The Touch" by Stan Bush at that particular moment is mandatory.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An an alternative, there is no need to be all crunchy about this. Character sheets already have an Objective field, and a GM can award FPs and CPs in accordance with the leeway GM's already have in RAW to determine dramatic appropriateness.

Just throwing it out there. Carry on.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, your idea blends the simplicity of the D6 system with the brilliance of swd6 fans.

Just throw the Destiny thing out, have your players put effort into their Objective, and grant them bonuses if they remain on-track. The first thing that came into my mind when trying to put that Destiny mechanic into D6 terms was simply awarding more CPs to players that stuck to or used their Objective during a session.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still working on allowing players to make Story Arcs and Special Abilities for their characters that relate to their background. This sounds perfect for that. Keeping in mind all these items must be run past the GM first, but this could work. If you want to charge a D for every one of these they have at the beginning of character creation for balance so be it. Then again, lets face it, SWRPG is not about balance, but telling a fun story and having a good time doing it.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Whill, your idea blends the simplicity of the D6 system with the brilliance of swd6 fans.

Aww, thanks.

shootingwomprats wrote:
The first thing that came into my mind when trying to put that Destiny mechanic into D6 terms was simply awarding more CPs to players that stuck to or used their Objective during a session.

I try to do that already as a part of recognizing good roleplaying in general, but this has inspired me to put an even greater emphasis on players playing the PC described on the sheet. Players should be rewarded for playing the Personality described on the PC's sheet and working towards the PC's stated Objectives.

shootingwomprats wrote:
SWRPG is not about balance, but telling a fun story and having a good time doing it.

I don't see why it can't be about telling a fun story, having a good time and game balance too. No 100% balance is never possible, and how close you get is up to the GM, but my game system's goal is to achieve as much game balance as possible with the characters rules. Just sayin'.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not heard of this (though I have played Saga before), but it seems like a really cool idea! Thanks for sharing it here, Mojomoe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: