The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Classic Module Adventures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Classic Module Adventures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Classic Module Adventures Reply with quote

We have some great threads about a few of these, but I wanted to make a general thread focusing on the 1E single adventure modules as a whole to discuss all or any of them.

Which ones have you ran and how many times? Which ones are your favorites? Which ones did you not like from reading or playing them? Please share anything you want about any of these bolded 1E adventure modules...

1988 Battle for the Golden Sun 40-page paperback adventure w/ color Aquatic Imperial Garrison schematics poster

1989 Scavenger Hunt 40-page paperback adventure w/ color Lambda-class Shuttle schematics poster

1989 Crisis on Cloud City 40-page paperback adventure w/ Sabacc card game

1989 Otherspace 40-page paperback adventure w/ color map

1990 Otherspace II: Invasion 40-page paperback adventure including Assault On Hoth scenario w/ game cards

1990 Black Ice 40-page paperback adventure

1990 The Isis Coordinates 64-page paperback adventure

1992 Planet of the Mists 64-page paperback adventure

1992 Mission to Lianna 64-page paperback adventure

1995 Classic Adventures 128-page paperback compiling two 1st edition adventure books, updated to 2nd edition: The Abduction of Crying Dawn Singer (Classic era Rebel adventure), and The Politics of Contraband (set of NR smuggler adventures)

1995 Classic Adventures: Volume Two 96-page paperback compiling 2 first edition adventures updated to second edition:
Graveyard of Alderaan
Domain of Evil

1996 Classic Adventures: Volume Three 96-page paperback compiling 3 first edition adventures updated to second edition:
Tatooine Manhunt
Riders of the Maelstrom
Death in the Undercity

1998 Classic Adventures: Volume Five 126-page paperback compiling 3 first edition adventures updated to second edition:
Strike Force: Shantipole
Starfall
The Game Chambers of Questal

EDIT: Here is a direct link to a 2016 post (below in this thread) that has many links to other discussions about these adventures on this forum.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 pm; edited 5 times in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done running Mission to Lianna, an adventure that had sat on my shelf for years. It was strange to finally delve into it, as I'd never before done more than give it a cursory glance. It wasn't great; a little bland, really. I think my edition might be a 2E one.

And I ran Starfall years ago for my kids and thought it was a great adventure. Thrilling, exciting, lots of variety and good villains and NPCs.

And though I've never run it, I've been looking over The Game Chambers of Questal during the last few days (as I hope to run it eventually). It's interesting to me that the author - Robert Kern - did some excellent James Bond 007 RPG adventures that I really enjoyed back in the 80s; this was his only SW module. The cover picture is beautiful, but the interior art is really poor, IMV.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run Black Ice (one of my favorites), Starfall multiple times, Death in the Undercity and Graveyard of Alderaan.

Of these Black Ice is probably my favorite--its just a lot of fun to run.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea for a thread, btw, Whill. I try to keep my eyes peeled (as I visit numerous Half-Price Books), but the modules are very hit and miss. It's good to hear (for instance) that Black Ice is a good one, so I can keep my eyes peeled for that one.

Do you have any personal favorites, Whill?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I just got done running Mission to Lianna, an adventure that had sat on my shelf for years. It was strange to finally delve into it, as I'd never before done more than give it a cursory glance. It wasn't great; a little bland, really. I think my edition might be a 2E one.

If you have a second edition version of that adventure, then my WEG SW collection is not as complete as I thought it was. I have a 1E module that came out in the spring of 1992, earlier in the year that 2E was first released. I find it extremely unlikely that they would have released two editions of the module in the same year, so I suspect you have the same 1E edition that I have. You could probably look at ship stats or character skills to quickly determine what RPG edition your book was made for.

I made this thread about 1E adventure modules because they were almost entirely single adventures. Most of the 2E adventure books had campaigns or alt least multiple shorter adventures in them. These 1E modules were epic.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1E Adventure Modules Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
This is a great idea for a thread, btw, Whill...
Do you have any personal favorites, Whill?

Tatooine Manhunt - The original adventure module that started it all. (This with the original Campaign Pack were my first two WEG SW purchases after getting the 1E core book and sourcebook.) Tatooine Manhunt is the only adventure I have ran in all of my 6 primary campaign universes. I've also ran a couple other adventures that were a lot like this one. If you're ok with the idea of yet another old Republic hero (besides Kenobi) hiding out on Tatooine since soon after the formation of the Empire, then this adventure is a lot of fun. It's a classic!

Strike Force: Shantipole - This is another classic. I've ran this 5 times. I love it.

Starfall - This is another classic. I've ran this 5 times. I love it except for the ridiculous notion that someone could be a starship engineer without knowing how to use a computer which I changed every time I ran it after the first time.

Crisis on Cloud City - A cool adventure and worthy sequel to Starfall. I've ran it 5 times, but I've always changed how I handled the nanobots.

Black Ice - A great adventure I've ran 5 times.

Battle for the Golden Sun - It's got some cool stuff in it. I've ran this a few times but always made significant changes (rearranged the plot, took out some stuff, inserted NPCs, changed the planet's species, etc.)

Scavenger Hunt - I've ran it a few times. This one can be a lot of fun if you get into the spirit of Squibs and Ugors. And what's not to love about exploring Death Star wreckage? I enjoy the players' reaction to opening what the players don't realize is Vader's closet and I always use the Dagobah cave music for that.

Riders of the Maelstrom - I've ran this one a few times and it was fun.

Death in the Undercity - I've ran this a couple times and it was fun.

The Game Chambers of Questal - I've ran this a couple times and it was ok. IIRC, the last time I changed it a lot and went all Matrix with it.

Graveyard of Alderaan - This adventure has some cool stuff but I think I've only ran this once or twice.

The Isis Coordinates - I'm pretty sure I only ran this once, but I remember having fun with it.

Mission to Lianna - I'm pretty sure I've only ran this once, and if I recall correctly it was ok.

Otherspace and Otherspace II: Invasion - I never ran these because I was turned off by the horrible artwork, I never cared for the concept of otherspace, and I'm generally not a fan of biotechnology. But I've now gotten some ideas on how to integrate the Charon into my campaign so aspects of these adventures may eventually get used afterall.

Planet of the Mists - I'm pretty sure I've never ran this.

Domain of Evil - I'm pretty sure I've never ran this.

The Abduction of Crying Dawn Singer - I'm pretty sure I've never ran this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

If you have a second edition version of that adventure, then my WEG SW collection is not as complete as I thought it was. I have a 1E module that came out in the spring of 1992, earlier in the year that 2E was first released. I find it extremely unlikely that they would have released two editions of the module in the same year, so I suspect you have the same 1E edition that I have. You could probably look at ship stats or character skills to quickly determine what RPG edition your book was made for.

I made this thread about 1E adventure modules because they were almost entirely single adventures. Most of the 2E adventure books had campaigns or alt least multiple shorter adventures in them. These 1E modules were epic.

Now that I'm at home and can look, you're of course right that mine is a 1E book (1992). Unlike some other games, the differences between 1E and 2R&E aren't that drastic, and I never even realized that everything was for the earlier edition.

From using my book (for the adventure I ran), it actually fell completely apart, which is probably reflective of it being over two decades old as well.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I try to keep my eyes peeled (as I visit numerous Half-Price Books), but the modules are very hit and miss.

I've found the second edition supplements are also hit and miss. WEG Star Wars has been my favorite RPG since 1988 and by 2008 I had most of the gameline releases so went ahead and completed my collection. My goal is to use at least something from every single WEG SW publication before I die.

I've got 5 Half-Price Books in my city, and I visit 4 of them (I'm fortunate that the smallest/weakest one is the one on the other side of town I never make it to). I love Half-Price! Even though my WEG SW collection has been complete for years, out of habit I still always look for WEG SW books anyway just to see what's there and check the prices. Honestly I almost never see these 1E modules at my Half-Price Books.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For myself and the games I've ran, I really prefer to do my own thing despite the fact that I own all of these, but with that being said...

1988 Battle for the Golden Sun-Nope

1989 Scavenger Hunt-Nope

1989 Crisis on Cloud City-Nope

1989 Otherspace-Nope

1990 Otherspace II: Invasion-Nope
Assault On Hoth-Nope

1990 Black Ice-Yes, at least twice

1990 The Isis Coordinates -Nope

1992 Planet of the Mists -Nope

1992 Mission to Lianna -Nope

1995 Classic Adventures 128-page paperback compiling two 1st edition adventure books, updated to 2nd edition: The Abduction of Crying Dawn Singer (Classic era Rebel adventure), and The Politics of Contraband (set of NR smuggler adventures)

I've run bits of P.O.C...

1995 Classic Adventures: Volume Two 96-page paperback compiling 2 first edition adventures updated to second edition:
Graveyard of Alderaan -Yes
Domain of Evil -Yes

1996 Classic Adventures: Volume Three 96-page paperback compiling 3 first edition adventures updated to second edition:
Tatooine Manhunt- Yes it was the first module I bought...
Riders of the Maelstrom -Nope
Death in the Undercity -Nope

1998 Classic Adventures: Volume Five 126-page paperback compiling 3 first edition adventures updated to second edition:
Strike Force: Shantipole -Nope
Starfall -Nope
The Game Chambers of Questal-Nope
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Classic Module Adventures Reply with quote

Last night I did some searching to find various threads about the 1e module adventures. I thought I would just post this here for reference, but feel free to discuss any of the 1e module adventures here in this thread too.

First Edition Conversion Project

1st edition adventure changes to 2nd edition - Tatooine Manhunt / Graveyard of Alderaan / Riders of the Maelstrom

Tatooine Manhunt Revisited

Tatooine Manhunt

First time running a 1E adventure: Tatooine Manhunt

Classic Adventures: Volume Three - missing "read aloud" intro for Tatooine Manhunt

Two Old WEG Adventures - Tatooine Manhunt / Battle for the Golden Sun

Battle for the Golden Sun Revisited

Starfall advice

Starfall Special Edition

Starfall -> Marooned on Hoth -> Crisis on Cloud City

Crisis on Cloud City Help with the big sabacc scene?

Crisis on Cloud City

Domain of Evil was great - What else should I run?

Abduction of the Crying Dawn Singer

Domain of Evil was great - What else should I run?

The Isis Coordinates - Help with Gutretee force powers and adventure rewrite

The Isis Coordinates

Graveyard of Alderaan help

Graveyard of Alderaan Revisited

Black Ice help

Otherspace Revisited

Strike Force: Shantipole full-color map
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:59 pm; edited 7 times in total
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest an order or outline of possibly running some or many of these? A sort of “classic campaign”? Are some of these explicitly sequels of others?
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Can anyone suggest an order or outline of possibly running some or many of these? A sort of “classic campaign”? Are some of these explicitly sequels of others?

I believe this is the only chronology explicit in the adventures themselves...

Crisis on Cloud City is a sequel to Starfall. Otherspace takes place after both Tatooine Manhunt and Strike Force Shantipole. (Otherspace has NPCs from those prior adventures.) And Otherspace II: Invasion is obviously a sequel to Otherspace of course.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread Whill. After I wind up my Honor+Intrigue campaign I'm contemplating running Star Wars for a new group so any tips are appreciated.

I may be a bit of an oddity in that, while I own pretty much all of the listed adventures I've never run any of them and have only ever played one of them - I think it was Planet of the Mists.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s worth noting that Star Wars Classic Adventures (1e “REUP”) includes a list of “best adventures”:

Tatooine Manhunt (implied)
Strike Force: Shantipole
Starfall
Mission to Lianna
Game Chambers of Questal
Riders of the Maelstrom
Domain of Evil
Black Ice
Crisis on Cloud City
Otherspace
Death in the Undercity

Well, that’s about 60% of the published adventures, which is both very encouraging and also not super helpful, but, at least it helps point the way a little bit!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Best" is an opinion. Other D6 Players, asked to put together a list, might show something totally different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: