The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Human Planetary Bonuses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Human Planetary Bonuses Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
garhkal, this is really no different than Sparks having RAW humans as a default with a buy-in cost to play aliens based on the alien abilities. There is a cost to play aliens that are more powerful than humans, and in my version I've just boosted the default up to a certain level (and knocked a few aliens down) - giving bonus dice to the lesser powerful instead of paying dice to play more powerful ones. It's the same end result, to better balance the PCs to each other.

In which case, if you was going by spark's rule, how would you rank the 'planetary bonus' humans for buy ins?

In Sparks, humans are the default and get no bonuses. But since aliens have special abilities, in Sparks you have to "pay" some of your starting skill dice to play the alien, and that is how they are balanced with lesser-abled humans.

In my game, there are also no buy-in costs for any species, and PCs of any playable race (human or alien) are roughly equal in advantages. I wouldn't go by Spark's rule (or use these planet of origin bonuses), so I can't answer your question about ranking these based on Spark's rule. Also, see below.

As far as I know, Kytross handles aliens as per RAW and so his game wouldn't have any buy-in costs for any aliens. He gives these bonuses to humans depending on their planet of origin and that better balances humans with greater-abled aliens. I don't think Kytross would have a cost buy-in cost to play a human with these bonuses because that would undo the advantage it gives and make it pointless.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Wow, impressive write-ups all!

This rule was initiated in a game where all my players were new and Two of them were teenage girls who didn't want to be "gross aliens." To clarify; pretty aliens, like Twi'leks, were ok. So I was trying to find a quick solution that didn't unbalance the game.

In my experience this turns out to be worth about 3-4 skill dice at character creation. There are essential non-bonus skills that need some dice allocated, like Dodge. Whill's 4D bonus would have similar results, I'm sure. Wish I had thought of it then.

Just throwing it out there for consideration for you for the future, or for anyone else reading this thread.

Kytross wrote:
I will give humans a 2 for 1 skill point bonus based on their planet of origin. I treat this like the Duros bonus, you can only use the 2 for 1 once per skill...

You limit it to one skill, but putting 1D in one of the skills gives you a 1D bonus, while putting 2D in a skill you get 2D in bonus dice. I dislike the 2-for-1 advantage for any species because it is a variable bonus, and variable bonuses are not game balanced. For my game, Duros, Verpine, etc. have all been updated to getting flat bonus dice for certain skills instead of a variable bonus, and I would recommend that for this system too. Just throwing it out there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Quote:
garhkal, this is really no different than Sparks having RAW humans as a default with a buy-in cost to play aliens based on the alien abilities. There is a cost to play aliens that are more powerful than humans, and in my version I've just boosted the default up to a certain level (and knocked a few aliens down) - giving bonus dice to the lesser powerful instead of paying dice to play more powerful ones. It's the same end result, to better balance the PCs to each other.

In which case, if you was going by spark's rule, how would you rank the 'planetary bonus' humans for buy ins?

In Sparks, humans are the default and get no bonuses. But since aliens have special abilities, in Sparks you have to "pay" some of your starting skill dice to play the alien, and that is how they are balanced with lesser-abled humans..

That's why i asked "IF you were".. Do you see them being a 1 pip cost? 2 or a full D?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: