The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

T-47 converted to Snow speeders??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> T-47 converted to Snow speeders??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: T-47 converted to Snow speeders?? Reply with quote

According to Wookiepedia, the snow speeders used on Hoth, were converted from Civilian air speeders, known as the T-47. BUT how is that when the snow speeder is listed in the Rebel source book and main rule book at only 5.5 meters long, and the T-47 is 6.7 meters long? So it got up gunned, a bigger engine, heavier armor and shrunk??

Does anyone else think that is funky?
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might be adding the length of the weapons onto the length. The T-47 didn't have any weapons on them so that might shorten the length.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
They might be adding the length of the weapons onto the length. The T-47 didn't have any weapons on them so that might shorten the length.

No, it's the other way around. They added weapons, but decreased the length. It should be the other way around, if anything.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I looked in the rulebook and the T-47I air speeder is same as a Combat Snowspeeder in many respects. One difference is that the T-47I is 4.5 meters and the combat snowspeeder is 5.5 meters. If in all respects the T-47I is the close to the same as the original T-47, the length will be the added laser cannons.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
Well I looked in the rulebook and the T-47I air speeder is same as a Combat Snowspeeder in many respects. One difference is that the T-47I is 4.5 meters and the combat snowspeeder is 5.5 meters. If in all respects the T-47I is the close to the same as the original T-47, the length will be the added laser cannons.

Yeah, I just saw that, too. However, the Star Wars Sourcebook lists the lengths garhkal stated above (Stock T-47 is 6.3 meters, Modified T-47 Snowspeeder is 5.5).

Probably just a type, g.

Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is most likely a typo, I find it hard to believe that the alliance would have the ability to down size a vessel since downsizing the vessel could be dangerous size they are optimized to work with that size. Many roleplaying game books have typos that we overlook. In the core rulebook it says that the K4 security droid has 2 auto balance arms.
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's entirely possible that as part of the conversion process, the airframe and fuselage was trimmed down, and extraneous external components ditched or cannibalized. Civilian -- commercial and personal -- vehicles are built with different purposes in mind than military counterparts.

Look, for example, at that most of the T-47's fairing -- likely for aesthetic purposes rather than functional, as aerodynamics clearly plays a minimal role in SW vehicles -- was removed during the conversion process to make room for, or provide accessibility to, blasters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodrim wrote:
It's entirely possible that as part of the conversion process, the airframe and fuselage was trimmed down, and extraneous external components ditched or cannibalized. Civilian -- commercial and personal -- vehicles are built with different purposes in mind than military counterparts.

Possible? Maybe. Probable? Unlikely. If that were so, the difference in lengths would be consistent across the various WEG sources, rather than being found only in the Star Wars Sourcebook. When WEG can't even internally agree on something that basic, there isn't really a need to justify it apart from adding it to the lengthy list of WEG errors.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And typos aren't canon!

8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: