The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sector Generation...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Sector Generation... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so that wasn't as hard as it sounded at first. Here's what I rolled for hyperspace lanes...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Now all you need are travel times and you can start building details on the planetary systems. If it were me, I'd go back to the hex map and roll 2D per hex between connecting systems to generate travel times in hours.

The only other thing I would suggest is that the hyperspace route generation table can be treated as a guideline rather than a hard rule, and that if you see a route that could or should connect, but doesn't, feel free to draw it in. In this case, a route between Andrus and Horthi or Zeta to Horthi or Peue would not be amiss.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

The only other thing I would suggest is that the hyperspace route generation table can be treated as a guideline rather than a hard rule, and that if you see a route that could or should connect, but doesn't, feel free to draw it in. In this case, a route between Andrus and Horthi or Zeta to Horthi or Peue would not be amiss.

So I did have that impulse, and when I questioned it, I'd roll again. The dice very much didn't want those connected.

I think I'll fluff it away by saying "it makes more sense in 3D"?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fair. Looks awesome.

I had a question about nebulas, though. It's my understanding that nebulas are hazardous to navigate through, as far as the RAW is concerned. Are the actual destinations for the nebula systems located inside the nebula, or are they space stations on the periphery?

mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the rest of this evening getting the sector map to display on my wiki, with image links for each of the sectors...

http://livingdungeon.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=starwars:sotisectormap

What I'll need next is a way to quickly roll all the not-interesting planets and other objects in the systems. This way I know that the main world is Soti IV, for example.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcbobbo wrote:
I spent the rest of this evening getting the sector map to display on my wiki, with image links for each of the sectors...

What are you using to create the maps (hex and so on)? Are you using Photoshop or Gimp or something else?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
What are you using to create the maps (hex and so on)? Are you using Photoshop or Gimp or something else?

I went ahead and purchased Hexographer - http://www.hexographer.com/ (And in fact I bought the bundle because I felt like supporting them.)

My favorite map thus far is to mark out the planets, add labels, and export the PNG with a black background. Then I drag them into GIMP, delete the black, and lay the starfield underneath them. I think you can use a background with Hexographer when making a new map, but I haven't messed with it yet.
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
That's fair. Looks awesome.

I had a question about nebulas, though. It's my understanding that nebulas are hazardous to navigate through, as far as the RAW is concerned. Are the actual destinations for the nebula systems located inside the nebula, or are they space stations on the periphery?

I'm going to rule that the lanes skirt past the nebulas themselves. And yes there are interesting things inside. I just haven't rolled that up just yet.

And really, to keep it flexible I probably won't until the adventure calls for it. I'll lock each system down on my wiki as they get used in the campaign.
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's an astrogation view of the map with rolled values as suggested:

I did use 2D and rerolled only a few.

I also used GIMP to invert the colors, and then go back and lighten the lane colors. I mostly did this for printing purposes.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers for trip times are too small to read...

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

That is because they are classified! Trooprrs, take this man in for questioning!
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

That is because they are classified! Trooprrs, take this man in for questioning!

lol

I intended it for printing on 8.5x11. They seem okay to me at that size.

Plus we're hammering out a gazetteer/chart thingy to be the true reference. It's quite large though, so it may wind up with print that's just as small... Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. I was mostly curious because I wanted to see what kinds of distances you generated. Hyperspace travel times within a sector do seem to vary a great deal between sources. For instance, the Elrood Sector (Planets Volume 3) has travel times of just a few hours (only one 6-hour leg), but the Minos Cluster (Tramp Freighters has a minimum of 10, with others as high as 90).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Gotcha. I was mostly curious because I wanted to see what kinds of distances you generated. Hyperspace travel times within a sector do seem to vary a great deal between sources. For instance, the Elrood Sector (Planets Volume 3) has travel times of just a few hours (only one 6-hour leg), but the Minos Cluster (Tramp Freighters has a minimum of 10, with others as high as 90.

As high as 105, actually. It's a very old galactic civilization, and one reason for that is that the Minos routes may be newer and less established than Elrood's. Another factor is how cluttered they are with interstellar debris, etc., which can vary greatly between sector to sector.

It was even official policy for the EU that no hyperspace travel times are canon. So if a GM is creating an original sector of space, the GM should just hand-waive the travel times to be whatever will serve the campaign best, and even then they aren't stuck in stone and can change down the line, call it "galactic drift" or whatever.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcbobbo, would you please create a document going over the procedures outlined in this thread and then upload as a PDF to this folder? It would be a great help to the community as a whole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: