The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Vehicle Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Vehicle Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are starfighters but use airspeeder skill???
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

They are not starfighters. They do not fly in space. They are starfighter-scale airspeeders. It's a reasonable choice of scale, especially in CR's scale system.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

No. They are big, tough airspeeders. Scale is just a classification of size, not a design.

EDIT: Thanks, Whill

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, if you check the last few iterations of my scale system, you'll see that I specifically stated that all Cloud Cars would be Starship/Starfighter scale.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I don't mind so much. I always thought the cloud cars were unfairly weak (and unusable).

Agreed. Although, one thing WEG did change for 2E (that I kept) was to make cloud cars insanely fast in atmosphere. Using the 1E/2E conversion rules, an Atmosphere of 530; 1,500 kph converts to a 1E Speed Code of 10D or a 2E Space of 20. Even an A-Wing is left eating exhaust in terms of straight-line speed against a Storm IV.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but speed only does so much
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Yeah but speed only does so much

Under the RAW, yes, but I'm gearing a lot of these stats to mesh with my Starfighter Combat System. One of my latest additions is a rule that gives faster starfighters the advantage in controlling the range, either keeping closer when trailing or staying further away when being tailed. The rule uses 1E Speed Codes, so in atmosphere, a cloud car rolling 10D will have a massive advantage against even the fastest starfighters, being able to either stay right on their tail or stay far out in front of them.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, by the RAW, speed also matters in relation to missiles and torpedos being fired at you.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, by the RAW, speed also matters in relation to missiles and torpedos being fired at you.

That rule wasn't really thought through all that well, though. I ended up just discarding it, with the assumption that the missile or torpedo would automatically be faster than the ship it was being fired at. If the contest-of-speed rule I'm playing with pans out, I will likely go back through and add Speed Dice values to the missiles so as to roll tail chases and the like, but that is for the future...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of these ideas are works in progress, and sometimes ideas occur to me that have the potential to change posted stats after the fact.

In this case, I had an idea about airspeeders and cloud cars that ties in with WEG's 50 kilometer edge-of-space rule. In the real world, the Kármán Line (100 kilometers up) is the point where the Earth's atmosphere is too thin for wings to provide lift. However, with repulsorlifts, lift isn't dependent on air density or lifting wings, and I've been looking at other options to explain WEG's altitude restrictions.

In another topic, Zarn suggested that the 50 kilometer limit was due to the fact that airspeeders use air-brake type directional controls to function. While this has some possibilities, it isn't a universal feature on all airspeeders (see Attack of the Clones). However, it did get my mind going in other directions.

My current theory behind repulsorlift function is that, airspeeders or landspeeder, high straight-line speeds require a booster engine of some kind to augment the basic repulsorlift effect. What I'm thinking is that airspeeders use air-breathing booster engines, and 50km is the point where the air gets too thin for the engines to function. Cloud Cars and some starfighters make use of similar drives, but have the mass to carry an onboard supply of gas that can be injected into the intake to offset the thinner air at higher altitudes.

The end result would be that airspeeders would be limited to 50km or below, while cloud cars (and other, bigger speeders like the LAATs from AOTC) could operate up into low orbit, up to 200km.

I haven't put a huge amount of thought into this, but...

Thoughts?

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are describing sounds like real world nitrous injection. Of course the supply is limited and when its gone, its gone.

Another alternative would be turbochargers or superchargers--that is, forced induction. It increases air intake by spinning a fan faster and faster (so air pressure in the engine is far greater than ambient air pressure). This woupd not be pimited to a set amount and couldd be used as long as there is fuel in thetl tank.

I, myself have also been looking at ways to simulate similar effects, and will keep you posted on what I come up with.
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What you are describing sounds like real world nitrous injection. Of course the supply is limited and when its gone, its gone.

Another alternative would be turbochargers or superchargers--that is, forced induction. It increases air intake by spinning a fan faster and faster (so air pressure in the engine is far greater than ambient air pressure). This woupd not be pimited to a set amount and couldd be used as long as there is fuel in thetl tank.

I, myself have also been looking at ways to simulate similar effects, and will keep you posted on what I come up with.

What he's actually describing sounds more like a RAMJET, rather than NOS. A ramjet might actually make a certain kind of sense if the process is modified with Star Warsy hand waving.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the "on-board supply of gas."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the pilots eat copeous amounts of Chilli and then attach a hose to their butts to get that extra gas! Laughing Laughing

Though 3 vehicles i would love seeing stats for from the Empire at War game are the Rebel's MPLT-2A, and the Empire's AT-AA walker and SPMA-T walker..
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I was referring to the "on-board supply of gas."

There are a variety of engines currently used in high-altitude operations where the plane carries on-board oxygen as well as fuel. The SR-71 comes to mind as a good example. A ramjet or scramjet would perhaps better explain why airspeeders operate at lower altitude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 11 of 23

Jump to: