The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fire Control Upgrades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Fire Control Upgrades Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump on account of an idea I had re/ the OP.

It occurs to me that a ship's weapon systems would almost certainly be tied into a central Targeting Computer / Fire Control System, ala what's posted on the first page. However, this doesn't really gibe with the existing stats, where different weapons on the same ship have varying dice values in Fire Control.

An idea that occurred to me would be to give every armed ship and vehicle a central Fire Control system (with its own base FC value), and then individual weapon systems would have a modifier applied to it. For example, an X-Wing would have a central Fire Control rating of 2D, the Quad-Laser Cannon a modifier of +1D, and the Proton Torpedo Launchers a modifier of +0D.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that for larger ships which can HAVE big central computers.. Thus they can have their own 'ship system FC" rating..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Giving this a bump on account of an idea I had re/ the OP.

It occurs to me that a ship's weapon systems would almost certainly be tied into a central Targeting Computer / Fire Control System, ala what's posted on the first page. However, this doesn't really gibe with the existing stats, where different weapons on the same ship have varying dice values in Fire Control.

An idea that occurred to me would be to give every armed ship and vehicle a central Fire Control system (with its own base FC value), and then individual weapon systems would have a modifier applied to it. For example, an X-Wing would have a central Fire Control rating of 2D, the Quad-Laser Cannon a modifier of +1D, and the Proton Torpedo Launchers a modifier of +0D.

You can think of it like that, but I do not see any advantage with the notation of having a central ship FC stat and then only having an FC modifier noted for each weapon system, thus requiring a player to look in two different places in the stat block and doing arithmetic to get any weapon's FC. You could just put the resultant FC in the weapon stat and that would be more user friendly.

In RAW and my spaceship damage systems, it is possible to heavy damage an entire type of weapon (RAW has it as an entire type one fire arc). Based on being able to damage all emplacements of an entire type of weapon without it affecting other weapon types, I think of each weapon type having a central system. That conforms to the traditional stats notation of each weapon type being listed with the number of emplacements. All the weapons of a type have the same FC. In my system, heavy damage to weapons affects an entire weapon type due to a power surge, applying a -2D penalty to both FC and damage, without other weapon systems being affected.

If I was a designing a ship and using your OP, I would think of each weapon type having one of the fire control systems.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see that for larger ships which can HAVE big central computers.. Thus they can have their own 'ship system FC" rating..

Anything with an integrated fire control system is going to have some sort of central fire control processor. An X-Wing, for example, will need to interface two different weapon systems with the pilot’s HUD, the ship’s own sensors, the firing selector modules on the console, etc. The only vehicles that won’t will be utility speeders and the like with non-integrated pintel mounted heavy weapons.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You could just put the resultant FC in the weapon stat and that would be more user friendly.

Yes, that’s how it would be written in the stats. The D-rating of the Fire Control module would be in the notes somewhere for use in case the PCs wanted to try to upgrade their ship, but otherwise, FC would be presented as it normally is.

Quote:
If I was a designing a ship and using your OP, I would think of each weapon type having one of the fire control systems.

IIRC, Severe Damage had an option for all weapon systems being non functional, so the Heavy Damage could be some sort of intermediate system that connects to the central module, while Severe could be damage to the module itself.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

IIRC, Severe Damage had an option for all weapon systems being non functional, so the Heavy Damage could be some sort of intermediate system that connects to the central module, while Severe could be damage to the module itself.

Yes, RAW severe damage has a result where all weapons are either disabled (but reparable) or they are all destroyed. My damage system has the disabled option from a power surge (but accumulation of damages can destroy individual emplacements).

All weapons together may have some sort of central system, especially on ships with a weapons station that can access them all. But I still think of each weapon type having its own targeting system. That's all. To each his own.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: