The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Last Jedi - Thoughts and Reactions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Last Jedi - Thoughts and Reactions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1009848399858843649

So a bunch of TLJ-haters want to remake it to "save Star Wars". Rian Johnson begged them to do it. I think it's funny.
Registration & Log-In Help
Darklighter79
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Luke was treated like a chump and to me that is a slap in the face of everything that has been done previously. Its the purposeful deconstruction of the character the Jedi in general.

Unfortunately. Not much was needed to cripple mentally the last Jedi master. One failure and he's given up. And what was Jinn said about Jedi path? Ah:

Quote:
It will be a hard life. One without reward. Without remorse. Without regret. A path will be placed before you. The choice is yours alone. Do what you think you cannot do. It will be a hard life. But in the end you will find out who you are.

No wonder Mr Hamill said:

Quote:
“That’s the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I’m sorry. Well in this version, see I’m talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s Jake Skywalker. He’s not my Luke Skywalker, but I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well”.

MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/mark-hamill-criticism-rian-johnson-luke-skywalker-last-jedi-1202648884/

Mark Hamill wrote:

I've had trouble accepting what he saw for Luke
But again, I mean, I have to say, having seen the movie, I was wrong

Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Skywalker: "I can't. It's too big."
Yoda: "Size matters not. Look at me, Judge me by my size, do you? And well you should not, for my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. ... (a lot more wise words) ... yes, even between the land, and the ship."
Luke: "You want the impossible."

Yoda lifts the X-Wing

Luke: "I don't.... I don't believe it!"
Yoda: "That...is why you fail."

Luke gave up after one try with his X-Wing. Gave up, walked away, even told off his Jedi Master.

Why would complete failure of his first Jedi training school elicit a different response than giving up? He failed his nephew, almost killed him. He failed all of the other students he had, as he was not there for them due to his inappropriate actions against Ben Solo.

How about Luke over Endor?

Luke: "Vader's on that ship."
Han: "No don't get jiggerty, Luke. There's a lot of command ships."
classic banter between Han and Chewie...
Luke: "I'm endangering the mission, I shouldn't have come."
Han: "It's your imagination kid. C'mon, let's keep a little optimism here."

Luke was fatalistic in nature during Return of the Jedi.
He told the Emperor "You're wrong. Soon I'll be dead and you with me."

He felt everything hinged on him.

Luke is very "one and done". If it doesn't work the first time, he basically wanted to give up. The only time he ever came back from his "give up" attitude was when, upon defeating Vader, he heard the cackling of the Emperor and he re-focused. During that re-focus, he decided the best thing to do was to throw away his lightsaber in the face of the Emperor.

So I don't see how Luke's supposed actions in TLJ are at all outside the realm of how Luke would respond to a situation where HE was the reason for:
A: Turning Ben Solo to the Dark Side
B. Allowing all of his other students to die at the hands of Ben Solo
C. The "birth" of Kylo Ren, who would obviously go on to be something of a scourge against the good guys.

If he felt personally responsible for that, I could very easily see the old Luke coming out and going "I've endangered the whole galaxy. It's my fault more people are dying." and then deciding to "walk away" as he did on Dagobah when he failed to lift the X-wing after one attempt.
Darklighter79
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Mark Hamill wrote:

I bet he did after visit from Disney's lawyers.
Like adding picture and special effects somehow surpassed/dimmed the hero's actions and his motives, riiight. Rolling Eyes

I would like to see a scene in which he tells Leia and Han:
Luke: "Sorry guys. I screwed up. You on your own now, I cannot help you with getting back your son."
Han: "Kid, you did not gave up on Vader, me and Leia believe in you!"
Luke: "I cannot help you, I will retire and train no more. But I will leave you with a map of no use"
Han shots first.

Yoda showed up much too late to guide Luke.
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Mark Hamill wrote:

I bet he did after visit from Disney's lawyers.
Like adding picture and special effects somehow surpassed/dimmed the hero's actions and his motives, riiight. Rolling Eyes

Or seeing his actions in context of the rest of the movie. Seeing what is there after editing, seeing how he links in to the other stuff going on, and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: