The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Running 1E for one player
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Running 1E for one player Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Running 1E for one player Reply with quote

Hey there everyone. A common issue with tabletop roleplaying that I’m sure many of you have experienced is getting together a group of people with aligned schedules as well as finding people who are interested. In the hopes of garnering interest from a couple friends, I’m hoping to do a couple one-on-one sessions using 1E. I also have the base, Imperial, and Rebel sourcebooks. I was wondering if anyone here had run any “duet” sessions with 1E and if you had any tips or advice for it? Challenges, things to watch out for, etc.

Thanks! Very Happy
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work fine in this game. Just keep in mind that you've got one player. If running an adventure, then look at the party size for which the adventure was written. If it was written for 6 characters, then divide suggested encounters by 6.

I suggest that the character put points into his stealth skills.

It might be fun to allow the player a side-kick that he can run, too. In this way, he runs two characters, like Han and Chewie. Han is his main character, and Chewie is the player run NPC. Suggest that the two characters have different skills, too, like Lando and Lobot.

If you don't like that, consider giving the player a droid. That way, is fire power isn't increased, but he's got someone to guard the ship. Think Lando and Vuffi Raa, Luke and R2, Poe and BB-8.

Have a contingency plan for when the character gets captured--that should turn into an adventure.

For bigger adventures, have the player hook up with a Smuggling Crew, group of Mercenaries, or bunch of Thieves and Criminals.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ran solo adventures and even solo campaigns with 1e, but that was 88-91. The solo campaigns were after the PCs were more experienced (they were sequels to completed group campaigns). There really aren't any different concerns that there would be for 2e, but 1e is an easier game. I think Wajeb covered it pretty well.

Having the player run the main character and sidekick is an option, but so is just running two full-fledged PCs, if the player is up to the challenge. Yes they should be varied in skill, and could still have a sidekick NPC and/or droid. Consider letting the PC(s) start with more than 7D in skill dice. Yes, Sneak is a good skill to have, and Dodge is vital for all characters.

Please let us know what you go with and how the adventures go!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb wrote:
It might be fun to allow the player a side-kick that he can run, too. In this way, he runs two characters, like Han and Chewie. Han is his main character, and Chewie is the player run NPC. Suggest that the two characters have different skills, too, like Lando and Lobot.

If you don't like that, consider giving the player a droid. That way, is fire power isn't increased, but he's got someone to guard the ship. Think Lando and Vuffi Raa, Luke and R2, Poe and BB-8.

Whill wrote:
Having the player run the main character and sidekick is an option, but so is just running two full-fledged PCs, if the player is up to the challenge. Yes they should be varied in skill, and could still have a sidekick NPC and/or droid. Consider letting the PC(s) start with more than 7D in skill dice.

I think that could definitely work. My friend is completely new to RPGs so to ease the introduction I don't think I'll have him controlling two PCs and managing two character sheets at once. That being said, I think having an NPC sidekick as well as an NPC droid would help provide that "Star Wars" feel for him. Now that all these ideas are running through my head, I feel like having him pick out his companions will be the best way to go.

Wajeb wrote:
For bigger adventures, have the player hook up with a Smuggling Crew, group of Mercenaries, or bunch of Thieves and Criminals.

This is already sparking some homebrew ideas in my noggin...

Whill wrote:
Please let us know what you go with and how the adventures go!

Will do! We're planning to give it a shot this Wednesday, which will be a Session 0 and possibly an adventure depending on how things go.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jas378 wrote:
Wajeb wrote:

This is already sparking some homebrew ideas in my noggin...

WEG published lots of supplemental material to mine for ideas--criminal groups, NPCs, worlds and space stations to explore, even adventure ideas, etc.

Definitely post your experience! We love reading about games!
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question that came to mind: would you recommend using the PC templates to create his character and sidekicks or go at it from scratch? Admittedly, my RPG experience hasn't extended far beyond passionately collecting and reading through the books for the past several years.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely recommend the templates. It's quick. It's easy. It's time to rock-n-roll.

Use the templates. Play the game. Learn the game. Then, if a player has a specific idea for a character, allow him to create from scratch, if he wants--but do this later, after you've got a couple of adventures under your belt.

I still use Templates all the time.

Sometimes, I create new templates for my characters to choose from.

You've got the 1E core rulebook, right?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your friend is new to RPGs, I wholeheartedly agree with Wajeb and strongly recommend using templates. Just have him read the templates and chose the one he wants to play, then based on that, together you can determine what other character types will be needed for the NPCs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Templates it is!

Wajeb wrote:
You've got the 1E core rulebook, right?

I do, indeed.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, Templates allow you, as GM, have some control over what skills a player will get.

You can allow only a select number of templates, where you pick those that have attributes set to what you think will be needed in the upcoming game.

For example, many players will max out DEX and Blaster and Dodge when creating their own characters--in order to be the best at combat that they can be. If you know that Starship Piloting will be really useful, then only allow templates that have high Mechanical attributes, regardless of where DEX is rated.
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb wrote:
If you think about it, Templates allow you, as GM, have some control over what skills a player will get.

Very true. In our case, it helped narrow things down from an infinite number of possibilities to a nice range of immediately available examples for someone completely new to RPGs.

We ended up having a bit of a Session 0 where he picked out a template, we filled out the basics of the character sheet (sans background, personality, etc.), and hashed the general scope of the adventures his character may be involved in.

A little surprising to me, he was drawn to the Arrogant Noble template. He blatantly stated he wasn't paying heed to any of the stats either, just the archetypes that stood out in his mind. I threw out a few ideas for what that could entail once we settled on the Galactic Civil War era: Imperial senator, delegate sympathetic to the Rebellion, or perhaps someone dealing with criminal elements of the galaxy. He decided that his Noble won't have any specific allegiance to any of the mentioned organizations and will "march to the beat of his own drum." So I'm picturing adventures that perhaps revolve around the well-being of whatever planet his character may hail from (still need to figure that out as well).

Finally, though we didn't stat them out, we figured out what his companions will be. Numero uno is a personal pilot of many years who ferries the noble wherever he may need to go. Numero dos, a combat droid that will act as his bodyguard.

Edit: I figured out the droid stats thanks to Wajeb's other post, but should I stat out the pilot as a PC or NPC do you think?

Now all that remains are to sort out his character's personal info and for me to figure out what misadventure the trio will find themselves wrapped up in!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jas378 wrote:
A little surprising to me, he was drawn to the Arrogant Noble template. He blatantly stated he wasn't paying heed to any of the stats either, just the archetypes that stood out in his mind.

That's great! It indicates to me that you've got a roleplayer on your hands and not a game player.

Which era is your game set? The traditional 1E era, just after the Battle of Yavin?

Will your Arrogant Noble already be a member of the Rebellion? Or, does he have to go find his way in?

Oh, I see that's answered somewhat in your reply. I spoke too early!

Quote:
I threw out a few ideas for what that could entail once we settled on the Galactic Civil War era: Imperial senator, delegate sympathetic to the Rebellion, or perhaps someone dealing with criminal elements of the galaxy. He decided that his Noble won't have any specific allegiance to any of the mentioned organizations and will "march to the beat of his own drum." So I'm picturing adventures that perhaps revolve around the well-being of whatever planet his character may hail from (still need to figure that out as well).

If you need a planet, there's lots in the old SW Adventure Journal, the SW Planets supplements, and a ton online, too.

Quote:
Finally, though we didn't stat them out, we figured out what his companions will be. Numero uno is a personal pilot of many years who ferries the noble wherever he may need to go. Numero dos, a combat droid that will act as his bodyguard.

Is the droid disguised? Remember, in that era especially, droids are frowned upon because of the Galactic Civil War. "Your kind ain't welcome here..." He might have trouble going around with an obvious weapons droid on the more civilized planets.

Quote:
Edit: I figured out the droid stats thanks to Wajeb's other post, but should I stat out the pilot as a PC or NPC do you think?

I'd stat him out as a PC. Use a template. It doesn't take long.

That way, if the Arrogant Noble dies, you guys can carry on the story with the player switching to the personal pilot as his main character, on the run, pissed off that those butt-hole Imperials killed his meal ticket.

Quote:
Now all that remains are to sort out his character's personal info and for me to figure out what misadventure the trio will find themselves wrapped up in!

Are you going to make something up, or use a printed adventure?
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb wrote:
Which era is your game set? The traditional 1E era, just after the Battle of Yavin?

I think I might end up going with BBY. It would have the somewhat fragmented rebels of Rogue One, which could provide some interesting conflict in terms of encountering different rebel cells that may employ varying tactics in fighting the Empire. I think that would lend itself to a character who may have reservations about either side of the conflict, whereas things become more clear-cut morally once Alderaan is destroyed.

Wajeb wrote:
If you need a planet, there's lots in the old SW Adventure Journal, the SW Planets supplements, and a ton online, too.

I’ll probably end up asking him a couple questions and creating a planet for his noble based on that. I have been looking through the Planets Collection for adventure inspiration though, and I believe trade world of Celanon may provide the first setting of high galactic adventure…

Wajeb wrote:
Is the droid disguised? Remember, in that era especially, droids are frowned upon because of the Galactic Civil War. "Your kind ain't welcome here..." He might have trouble going around with an obvious weapons droid on the more civilized planets.

Hmm, I hadn’t thought of that when we were working things out. I’ll talk to him about it. It could work as a family heirloom of sorts or perhaps droids have been used as security for the noble families of his world for quite some time. It could provide an interesting source of tension.

Wajeb wrote:
Are you going to make something up, or use a printed adventure?

I think I’ll write something up myself. Practically all of the adventures I’ve been looking through are centered around the heroes working for the Rebel Alliance and generally tackling military situations. If I have to rework most of the plot and encounters to better suit an independent noble I may as well just create something from scratch.
TK-423
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a similar thread a little while back that may have some answers that are of use to you.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6831

I myself am also looking to run a 1 GM/1 Player game. I have both the 1st Edition Rule Book and Classic Adventures, currently skimming through both and getting a gist for the rules before I decide to give it a shot.

Thinking of familiarizing myself with Tatooine Manhunt and possibly using that.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK-423 wrote:
Thinking of familiarizing myself with Tatooine Manhunt and possibly using that.

Personally, I think Tatooine Manhunt is too much for a first adventure. I'd pick a more simple adventure. I think there's too much going on in that adventure for a first time game, and I think it would require a lot of tweaking for a solo PC.

The adventure, Rebel Breakout, in the 1E core rulebook, is a good adventure to use. It is very simple (get from point A to point B before the stormtroopers stop you), and there's room for the GM to add more meat to the story and adventure, if he so chooses (which is good for a GM new to the game to do that sort of exercise).

You can add more to the beginning: How do the PCs wind up in these mines? Who parked those Y-Wings in that cave?

You can add another level (this is suggested in the adventure, I think) to make the adventure longer.

You can expand the climax: With the Imperial Walkers breathing down the Rebel's necks, you can have the PCs lift off the planet and into space, only to run into a Star Destroyer (or possibly a smaller vessel) and a swarm of TIE fighters.

This last would give the players a taste of all aspects of the game: Standard combat in fighting stormtroopers, heavy weapons with the Eweb, vehicle combat with the Walkers, and finally, starfighter combat with the Y-Wings.

You can even have a Rebel capital ship jump into the system at the last minute and introduce the PCs to capital ship combat (and the ship could be the destination for the Y-Wings).

Heck, if you wanted to, you could even run a Mass Combat scenario at the end when the Walker and ground troops enter the mine, and the Rebel ship sends down resistance fighters.

You can mold that adventure any way you need it. Obviously, it's set up to bring the PCs into the Rebellion, but you can change that, too.

The Y-Wings don't have to be slated for the Rebellion. Maybe some criminal organization or Black Market type is intent on selling them under the Imperial's noses. You can change this to whatever you need in your game.

When I ran this, I remember the fight over the pit near the end to be quite memorable. I had the plasma explosions down below rocking the entire facility. There was a huge, heroic fight as the PCs crossed the chasm to get to the Y-Wings.

There was a player playing a Rodian bounty hunter. I'll never forget him. His name was Epplebus Oooo (last name pronounced like "goo" without the "g"). He used his jet pack to jump across the chasm. He rolled a complication (I was experimenting with the Wild Die at the time). A stray blaster bolt from the fight below shot out his guidance system on his pack, and he went spinning and slammed into the wall and fell.

The player blew a Force Point to save his character. Otherwise, the Rodian was going bye-bye down into the exploding plasma multiple levels below. Because of the Force Point usage, I had his fall trigger a safety mechanism to where sensors detected the fall and shot out a net to cover the chasm. The Imperials don't have railings, but they've got these safety features, I figured.

The net saved Epplebus. He threw off his pack as it was dead weight, and drew his dual chrome plated blasters, one from each leg. POW! ZIP! BANG! He started tearing up the stormtroopers from below.

Man, that was a fun game.

A player playing a Coynite warrior, like Rey (but decades before she was ever a character), discovered that he had Force Powers beyond his belief, in that fight too.

Great game.

My suggestion to new GMs for this game (maybe experienced GMs in other games): Use a very simple adventure, like Rebel Breakout, and mold it to your tastes. Have fun. Play something complicated like Tatooine Manhunt after you have an adventure or two under your belts.

If you know that you will play Tatooine Manhunt, it would be very easy to set Rebel Breakout on Tatooine, where the Y-Wings escape the Imperials but don't jump out of the system--just hide the vessels somewhere else and then tie in another easy adventure, eventually leading to Tatooine Manhunt.

There's lots of support for Tatooine adventures. There's the stuff in Tatooine Manhunt (you can use some of it before you play that adventure),. There's the Galaxy Guide: Mos Eisley. There's another short adventure set on Tattoine in the Galaxy Guide: A New Hope 2nd Edition book. So, you can make a mini-beginning campaign, all set in and around Tatooine, if you wanted.

Tatooine is a perfect place to set a game for new players because anybody familiar with Star Wars knows the planet. Heck, make it the PC's homeworld.

MAPS: If you like to map out locations for your players, possibly for minatures, Rebel Breakout is good for this too. It's one location--an easy map for a new SW GM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: