The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Things that later editions did much better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Things that later editions did much better Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desert Kris
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been continuing to read through the 1st edition rulebook, and found the chapter on the Force quite a striking read, in terms of it's speculative ideas about how the Force manifested, became stronger, and became more sophisticated with the emergence of sentient life forms able to perceive the universe and question it.

I had a little bit of difficulty understanding some of the Force rules, but it may be in comparison to later editions. I thought it was a curious choice to suggest that tutelage of a Force-user starts with the control aspect. Given the flavor text, and maybe a little of my own personal view of what makes the most sense, I was puzzled that Sense wasn't the first thing to be learned: in order to control a thing, you have to perceive it, surely...?

All this is just a prelude to my return to the topic at hand. When looking through the list of powers, I couldn't find the Concentration power. I don't know how that power would jive (or not) with the 1st edition rule set, but the simplicity of the idea behind the Concentration power seems at home with the stripped down and simplified nature of 1st Edition.

Concentration is in line with what and audience might see as the main way an individual uses the Force, based on just the original 1977 movie. Before TESB and RotJ introduce superpowers, Luke used the Force to accentuate what he already was. And that's what I like about the Concentration power, as far as I understand it. It enhances what a character is already good at, makes them more of what they already are. A player with that power has incentive to improve the character as a more rounded character, rather than just hunting for teachers, relics and texts that will give them a new superpower that makes the character into something other than what they originally were.

It's just my perception, though, I haven't ever play tested it. It's just a vibe that Concentration would fit well with the design philosophy of 1st edition.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control was described as controlling the Force inside one's own body (and a good starting point for any spiritual undertaking). From a game standpoint, the Control powers are also the ones most likely to save a young Jedi's bacon so it's probably good to learn those first. You could start with Alter and jump straight to the cool flashy powers, but that always smacked of the quicker easier Dark Side path.

Concentration didn't show up until the Tales of the Jedi Companion (aka the Force Bible) and I always thought it was a neat game mechanic allowing Jedi to do super cool things without having to spend a Force Point.

I did like the space speed change from die codes to flat values. Speed die codes were a complete pain.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the term "Force-sensitivity" was also a good reason why Sense would come first. But alas I have a Force attribute that both Control and Sense default to, so in my game they come together.

Arrow WEG Star Wars D6 Editions
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: