The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars at the Box Office
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars at the Box Office
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Star Wars at the Box Office Reply with quote

A lot of fans don't pay much attention to the business side of the Star Wars franchise and that's ok. However I for one am interested in it. Some others here are too. Sometimes some of us refer to Star Wars theatrical grosses so I thought I would put this here for convenience.

Box office gross is not an objective measure of quality because there is no such thing as an objective measure of quality. Quality is purely subjective. Only a Sith deals in absolutes (Ha ha I just love that line).

Box office gross is one objective measure of popularity, which is the number of people who see quality in a film.

Box Office Mojo - The Star Wars Franchise

The charts below are both from the page at the above URL. For some reason reporting of box office figures tends to default to "Domestic" or "North American" which means USA and Canada combined. The rest of the world is referred to as "Overseas" or "Foreign", and everywhere combined is "Worldwide". Star Wars fandom and business are international phenomena, so Worldwide shouldn't be deemphasized because money is money.

The below charts break down each release of each film so I cut off the bottoms for the images, leaving the original releases of all 10 films and the top rerelease in both perspectives (Star Wars SE). These rankings in the images will be accurate until Episode IX and other Star Wars films come out. The links should be accurate beyond that.

The first image is worldwide but does give a breakdown of domestic and overseas for each film. The second image is domestic adjusted for inflation because they didn't make a worldwide adjusted for inflation chart, but it repeats the actual domestic grosses from the first chart. The inflation calculation is based on estimated 2019 inflation.

_

Here are some other links to compare Star Wars to other films. These combine the multiple releases of each film into one film total.

All Time Box Office - WORLDWIDE GROSSES
All Time Box Office - DOMESTIC GROSSES
All Time Box Office - DOMESTIC GROSSES Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation
All Time Box Office - By Category
All Time Box Office - By Record Holder (TFA is currently the top record holder by far with a whopping 32 box office records!)
Registration & Log-In Help
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing the calculations for inflation, and then I scrolled down and saw you saved me a bunch of work.

This is really cool. Thanks for posting.
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I started doing the calculations for inflation, and then I scrolled down and saw you saved me a bunch of work.

This is really cool. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome. If you ever want to do the calculations for inflation for the worldwide grosses, knock yourself out. They only had adjusted for domestic.
Registration & Log-In Help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: