The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my own theories of why Kathleen Kenedy is more suspect to teeth gnashing, but I'll leave that aside. The more I saw people grumbling about a "secret group working against her within Lucasfilm" the more I thought it sounded like weird conspiracy theory.

I'm hoping we can at least put some of that bizarre speculation aside.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article from Variety gives a load of info on the future of Star Wars, both movies and shows.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
This article from Variety gives a load of info on the future of Star Wars, both movies and shows.

Thanks for sharing. Now Taika Waititi's Star Wars film will "likely" be next. A prior film release plan was to alternate Avatar and Star Wars for the next several Decembers. Avatar 2 is coming out this December (and 3 was filmed back to back with 2), but I am skeptical that there will be a Star Wars movie only 1.5 years from now if they are still saying "likely" for which one the next one will be. Maybe they will go ahead and release Avatar 3 next year December, giving Star Wars more time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting read.

But if Andor has been in the fight since he was 6, how can he have had time to "evolve from a self-serving nihilist"?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
That is an interesting read.

But if Andor has been in the fight since he was 6, how can he have had time to "evolve from a self-serving nihilist"?

It looks like Andor season 2 is already in development, so they have plenty of time to work that out.

EDIT: Andor (D+ series thread)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previously announced Disney+ series, The Acolyte, will take place 100 years before TPM. "The Acolyte is a mystery thriller that will take us into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging Dark Side powers in the final days of the High Republic era."

Announced this weekend: Coming this Fall, a six-episode animated anthology with three episodes featuring Ashoka and three featuring Qui-Gon Jinn. Liam Neeson will voice Qui-Gon, and supposedly a young Qui-Gon Jinn will be voiced by his son. It will have the same giant-eye, wooden-beard, knobby-nose animation featured in TCW, Rebels, and TBB. Below is a video with some still images. (There are also some poor fan videos filmed of the trailer shown at the SW Celebration out there.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0_hZpPSEW4

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars: Skeleton Crew is a new live action Disney+ show starring Jude Law and coming next year. It will focus on a group of kids around 10 years-old from a “tiny little planet” who get lost in the Star Wars galaxy. The series will be about their journey home. It is set in the The Mandalorian era.

Young Jedi Adventures is a new animated Disney+ series coming next year for preschoolers, grade schoolers, and their families. It is set during the High Republic Era and will have Yoda.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennedy has been so self-contradictory about Star Wars. She says they are moving away from the Skywalker Saga, but they aren't. Rogue Squadron continues from TRoS. Andor will be another inter-trilogy prequel. They are building an entire Disney+ sub-franchise around The Mandalorian which includes Luke Skywalker and is set only 5-6 years after RotJ. Make up your mind.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy

Last month, Kennedy said Rian Johnson "has been unbelievably busy with Knives Out and the deal that he made at Netflix for multiple movies." She also said Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron was "pushed off to the side for the moment."

https://www.thewrap.com/taika-waititi-star-wars-movie-filming-update-2023/

Now Taika Waititi says that his Star Wars film will definitely not be filmed this year and that he plans on getting a lot of writing done for it by the end of this year. (He still doesn't have the story.)

So the talent they have lined up to do Star Wars movies are all busy doing other stuff that they want to get done before they commence multi-year commitments to Star Wars. All this means, there are no Star Wars movies even in pre-production, which means that there is no way there will be a Star Wars movie released by December of 2023. Avatar sequels are supposed to alternate with Star Wars movies from December this year through 2028. If James Cameron can't budge on the Avatar sequel release schedule (moving the third movie forward a year), then it looks like we wouldn't get a new Star Wars film until Dec 2025 at the earliest. After getting five Star Wars in four years, I don't think fans would mind the wait if there was a solid plan and development. With them over-saturating us Disney+ series now, I wonder if fans will have much confidence in SW movies by the time they start being made again.

They might as well just go all-out and plan on the Baby Grogu film series to jump start the film franchise.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Biggest Challenge For The Future Of Star Wars, According To Lucasfilm's Executive Vice President Lynwen Brennan

"I think the wonderful thing about 'Star Wars' is it's a gigantic galaxy with thousands and thousands of years of history, so that's a big place to explore. Finding a way that we can explore those different parts, but in a way that's connected and doesn't feel overwhelming, and we don't overdo it — because I think 'Star Wars' is also special."

https://www.slashfilm.com/940417/the-biggest-challenge-for-the-future-of-star-wars-according-to-lucasfilms-executive-vice-president/

Blah blah blah, let's string a bunch of words together and hope they make sense
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared this first link before but I did not quote from it...

Star Wars Forever: How Kathleen Kennedy Is Expanding the Galaxy

Kathleen Kennedy said and Vanity Fair wrote:
It really had more to do with recognizing that we were drawing to a close on the saga that George [Lucas] had created and that we were moving into the future of storytelling in the Star Wars universe... But we are moving on from the Skywalker sag...

Really? It doesn't seem like it...

Quote:
Simultaneous to us taking a [film] hiatus, [then CEO] Bob Iger changed the strategy of the Walt Disney Company to shift focus toward streaming... So all of this coalesced. I love to say that we’re all strategic geniuses—we’re not. I think what we all did, very effectively, was we pivoted. I got lucky. I knew that Jon Favreau was always deeply interested in Star Wars. He was the first person I went to... So there’s a little bit of luck that comes into this too.

She lucked into Jon Favreau leading the charge on a Star Wars sub-franchise with a timeline zero-point set only five years after the conclusion of Lucas' saga and a couple decades before the DT, thus well within the "Skywalker saga." A Disney+ TV sub-franchise inspired by the larger model of the MCU (films+TV). Where the TV series take place in the same part of the timeline so the characters cross over into each other's series. Because it's been shown to work.

Quote:
With Jon Favreau and the TV side, we’ve gotten very fortunate that he’s made the long-term commitment. I would love to find somebody on the feature side that would make that kind of a long-term commitment. There’s a couple of people I’m pretty close to that we may get there, but it’s such a competitive landscape right now that availability, exclusivity, those kind of ideas [make it] tough.

They still haven't lucked into anyone wanting to do multiple films like they lucked into Favreau for TV. Well, they still have Rian Johnson on paper but that is only under his criteria that he'll get to it when he gets to it, no forced production timeline like the first five Disney SW films. If these "couple people" don't pan out for her (I'm not hopeful), then Johnson will be in the bargaining position to demand so much money. I can see why he is just doing everything else he can possibly do first since they are just waiting for him.

Quote:
[Jon Favreau] was certainly intrigued by Boba Fett. He knew that we were working on Boba Fett in the feature space for a while. So when he started to develop The Mandalorian, there’s no question that there was a lot of conversation around: How do we separate the two? If we were ever to do something with Boba Fett, what would that mean?

Boba Fett, from Lucas' saga, only got separated from TM for one season because they dropped the idea of a Fett film, brought him into the "Favreau Disney+ Universe" sub-franchise to spin him off into his own series. They differentiated the characters by having Fett make fun of Mandalorian culture and become a crime lord.

Quote:
We also can’t go do something with Luke Skywalker that isn’t Mark Hamill... We got excited by the idea that Ewan McGregor wanted to come back, and Hayden Christensen wanted to come back... But even doing Solo as a TV show without Harrison Ford as Han Solo…it’s the same thinking.

But that is not "moving on from the "Skywalker saga."

Quote:
We would never make Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford.

Not Star Wars related, but there you have it. The quote that will later be contradicted when they eventually make Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford.

Star Wars’ Upcoming Movies Will Be Set Around The Sequel Era, Says Kathleen Kennedy

Empire wrote:
But while most of the Star Wars activity currently in the works right now is taking place in proximity to the original trilogy and the prequel movies, it seems there’s more to come from the sequel era of the Star Wars timeline too...

"[The sequel era] is what we talk a lot about in terms of where we’re going with our movies, and just how far out from that we’ll go. That’s very much the space we’re concentrating on."

The original trilogy, the prequel movies, and the so-called "Sequel Trilogy" are all part of the "Skywalker saga."

Kathleen Kennedy Says Star Wars’ Storytelling Is Influenced By Video Games

Yeah, we know. We saw the 4th episode of OBK.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we are moving on from the Skywalker sag...

Yeah..uhm...what else can you do after diminishing and killing all the main characters in each movie?
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
But we are moving on from the Skywalker sag...

Yeah..uhm...what else can you do after diminishing and killing all the main characters in each movie?

Main characters like Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker? Just go back in the "Skywalker saga" timeframe to before they died and put the PT actors for these characters in the Obi-Wan Kenobi show. Main characters like Luke Skywalker? Just go back in the "Skywalker saga" timeframe to before Luke died and put Mark Hamill in the "Mando-verse" shows like The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett, etc.

Kathleen Kennedy Suggests Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Characters Could Return

The so-called "sequel trilogy" is also a part of the "Skywalker saga." Here is what she said about "Rey Skywalker" and third generation of Star Wars heroes.

Kathleen Kennedy said and Empire wrote:
Certainly, those are not characters we’re going to forget. They will live on, and those are conversations that are going on with the creative team as well.

They are not moving on from "Skywalker." They lie. See my previous post for more details.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly do not think they know how to move on. To me the Sequel Trilogy felt a lot like the creatives just handled it as a reboot of the original trilogy - there was way to much either repetition of key things already done, or re-wrting existing material, and those places where they did diverge seemed very slap dash. While I don't feel the sequel trilogy are terrible movies, overall I just felt meh about them... but I still can watch Empire and Return of the Jedi and just feel they are incredible (Star Wars I have seen more times than I can count so it has lost a little luster).

Something about the Photography in the Disney material bothers me (Rogue One, the various TV series). A lot of it looks and feels like it is filmed too much on overcast days, with low contrast, muted colors... it just doesn't feel right visually to me. It feels as if they are not just dragging the story away from Space Opera and black and white good vs evil to more shades of grey drama, but they are matching it with the visual look having less vibrance and pop... and this just does not feel like Star Wars to me anymore. From what I have heard, seen, and read about Andor this will push it even further in that direction, and I am not looking forward to it. I will give it a chance, but I am already not enthusiastic.

Maybe I am just getting old...
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to have a problem with letting go. So what's next? A remake?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
They seem to have a problem with letting go. So what's next? A remake?

Another remake, you mean? Disney Wars launched their film franchise with a remake.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: