The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (original post-release thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: [Rey hears the voices of past Jedi] Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

If someone asks me how hyperspace atmospheric skipping works in my game, I'm going to have to shrug.

If I had a Star Wars game, I wouldn't shrug, but I would let them know that unless they were of Poe Dameron's ability and very lucky, chances are they wouldn't be able to do it.

And if they pulled out Han Solo doing it in The Force Awakens (though it wasn't really "skipping" in that, it was coming out of hyperspace INSIDE the atmosphere or a planet), I'll point out.... HAN SOLO! (Never tell me the odds!)

Basically deactivate the safeties on your hyperspace motivator and nav computer. Second, learn how to have split-millisecond reflexes to avoid running into something the moment you leave hyperspace.

And finally I will add that unless they have the Millennium Falcon, they're likely to end up like those TIE/SF fighters that were following it. Dead!
Even the Falcon didn't come out of that unharmed.

But back to the movie, I can view it as a single movie without having to instantly group it with ALL of the others. I realize other cannot. I was sad when all of the original heroes were "gone" (some much more permanently than others...Rest in Peace Carrie Fisher) and while I have very different opinions on the new characters, I can say definitely I "enjoyed" the sequel trilogy, overall more than I enjoyed the prequel trilogy, but nowhere close the enjoyment I got from the original trilogy.

Whill, I am interested to read your "full analysis" of the movie. I know you have much stronger opinions on the movie than I do, and on "Disney" Star Wars than I do, but I'm still interested to see which parts you DID like.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: [Rey hears the voices of past Jedi] Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

If someone asks me how hyperspace atmospheric skipping works in my game, I'm going to have to shrug.

I would allow it under certain circumstances:
- Follower is a Jedi/Sith or other Force user with clairvoyance talents,
- AI hacked the targeted navi-computer and created a hypersingal link to instantly copy all the jumps made by the target
- Attached homing beacon to the target controlled by ships AI/navi comp to perfectly duplicate the jumps and timing.

Update: still there's some time needed to travel between two points in space. It's not teleportation.

Last edited by Darklighter79 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: [Rey hears the voices of past Jedi] Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
But back to the movie, I can view it as a single movie without having to instantly group it with ALL of the others. I realize other cannot. I was sad when all of the original heroes were "gone" (some much more permanently than others...Rest in Peace Carrie Fisher) and while I have very different opinions on the new characters, I can say definitely I "enjoyed" the sequel trilogy, overall more than I enjoyed the prequel trilogy, but nowhere close the enjoyment I got from the original trilogy.

Whill, I am interested to read your "full analysis" of the movie. I know you have much stronger opinions on the movie than I do, and on "Disney" Star Wars than I do, but I'm still interested to see which parts you DID like.

I'm working on my TRoS piece. For the record, my opinion strength varies on the five Disney Star Wars films. It is highly positive for Rogue One and Solo, both of which which I overall loved.

TFA is fairly strong. It's a high quality reprise of my favorite Star Wars film. It has all the feels, and I can enjoy it a lot as a single film by disregarding the fact that its very premise undoes some of the resolution of the classic trilogy. Overall it works better if thought of as existing in a parallel universe to the six Lucas films and the two Disney prequels.

My opinion of TLJ is very weak. That film is a whole lotta meh to me. I'm finding that my opinions of TRoS are much stronger than TLJ on the positive and negative sides. Much more on that to come!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: TRoS Reply with quote

So I took my son and his best friend to see the movie again last night and I took some notes in the dark, but I can't read my handwriting for a word or remember what it was...

In the final battle, what could be an emotional moment for a fan, other than Lando's cavalry showing up and Rey coming back to life? The one I'm forgetting is probably in between those two events.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: TRoS Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In the final battle, what could be an emotional moment for a fan, other than Lando's cavalry showing up and Rey coming back to life? The one I'm forgetting is probably in between those two events.

For a fan of the old: Wedge's blink-and-you-miss-it cameo? I was grinning ear to ear--until I realized he was in a gun turret and not behind the stick of his own fighter. How could you bring Wedge Antilles back and not have him actually flying?

For a fan of the new: Poe's buddy Snap Wexley blowing up?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TRoS Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
Whill wrote:

For a fan of the old: Wedge's blink-and-you-miss-it cameo? I was grinning ear to ear--until I realized he was in a gun turret and not behind the stick of his own fighter. How could you bring Wedge Antilles back and not have him actually flying?

For a fan of the new: Poe's buddy Snap Wexley blowing up?

Thanks. It definitely wasn't Wedge. His gun turret appearance is a sore point for me for the reason you stated.

I'm pretty sure the emotional moment for me that I'm forgetting wasn't Snap dying. I'm sure I would remember it if I saw it or read it. There are a few short cell phone clips of parts of the film on YouTube. And the plot synopses I find online glaze over stuff. Any detailed plot synopsis I find are all pre-release - It's amazing to me that some people go to great lengths to try to piece a film plot together before seeing the film. Those all have details but also big holes.

It irks me that I can't find any detailed plot synopses to refresh my memory. I'm sure there is some fan out there that has seen the movie 20 times by now but I am not finding their breakdown.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie is still playing here. You could always go see it again.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: TRoS Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
The movie is still playing here. You could always go see it again.

LOL. I've already seen it four times when I was done at three, but my son and his best friend wanted to see it again (together for the first time), so I took them, and took a few more notes while I was there.

My 'thoughts and reactions' post draft is already a 23-page Word document, without an introduction or conclusion. There is more negative than positive so I was really hoping to put every positive thing I could possibly think of. Maybe it will come to me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what about First Order fleet after the RotS? Sith Fleet was destroyed, ok, but that's only half a job done.

Found this:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Uprising_on_Jakku
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Uprising_on_Cloud_City
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Uprising_on_Endor

So combined with movie dialogue:

Quote:
"People are rising up all over the galaxy. Poe, we did it."
"We did it."

we are suppose to believe that each planet under occupation had such military resources to push back/destroy FO forces everywhere (?). Even Jakku had some junk ships to beat a star destroyer and ewoks "performed Holdo Maneuver with a catapult" (guess they used an old ship for that Wink ) ? What the hell were they doing in the last couple of years during FO rise?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard The Rise of Skywalker is the worst received, critically and financially, of the sequels. I am not surprised.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Quote:
"People are rising up all over the galaxy. Poe, we did it."
"We did it."

we are suppose to believe that each planet under occupation had such military resources to push back/destroy FO forces everywhere (?). Even Jakku had some junk ships to beat a star destroyer and ewoks "performed Holdo Maneuver with a catapult" (guess they used an old ship for that Wink ) ? What the hell were they doing in the last couple of years during FO rise?

LOL, yeah that just #137 on the list of things that don't make sense in this film. After the first strike of Starkiller destroying the Hosnian system in TFA, TLJ and TRoS refer to a Republic-FO war going on that we never actually see any of. The fired director's Episode IX would have taken the action to Coruscant and featured the resolution of this Republic-FO war. Abrams instead introduces us a new villain, the Sith Eternal Cult, which takes command of the First Order. The outcome of the unseen galactic war (from miraculous sudden Republic victories over the FO) is like an afterthought.

But I'm just sooo excited for the youth novel or comic book that details the Holdo Maneuver that takes out a star destroyer in the Endor system!
Rolling Eyes

TauntaunScout wrote:
I heard The Rise of Skywalker is the worst received, critically and financially, of the sequels. I am not surprised.

You heard correctly but of course critical response is subjective.

Financially, the film is about 300 million behind TLJ's gross and its box office performance has about petered out. It will remain the lowest grossing "sequel trilogy" film, when to be considered equally successful as TLJ it would have to have a higher gross than TLJ. Right now it is $12 million under Rogue One. It will probably top that, but TRoS had a $75 higher budget than RO, so TRoS could make less profit than even RO.

But TRoS did hit a $1 billion gross which means a lot of people love it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to see Rise of Skywalker a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it. I would have liked it better, I think if I'd seen it in theaters with my wife.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! Another person who can enjoy the movie!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I finally managed to see Rise of Skywalker a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it. I would have liked it better, I think if I'd seen it in theaters with my wife.

Glad you enjoyed it. I understand why you may not have been able to see it with your wife, but has she seen it yet separately? Does she like Star Wars? If she hasn't seen it, will she eventually? Just curious if you are so inclined to answer.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: TRoS The Visual Dictionary Reply with quote

Just a couple of things from the The Visual Dictionary. The new Resistance command historian character (played by the hobbit actor who got the role because he won a bet with Abrams) has a full 2-page spread entry in the book, while Rose Tico got half a page.

On Exegol, there were literally "hundreds" of death star destroyers. That is not hyperbole. Hundreds of 2.4km long star destroyers, all with the power to destroy planets. Each death star destroyer has a crew of almost 30,000. The Sith Eternal Cult also possesses thousands of starfighters.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: