The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Clone Wars (7 Seasons) - Original Spoiler Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Clone Wars (7 Seasons) - Original Spoiler Thread Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Star Wars: The Bad Batch Reply with quote

Clone-Rambo needs more love.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gonna watch it. I want more Luke Skywalker. Not yet another other prequel based thing.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wasn't much of a fan of The Bad Batch, but some of my favorite episodes of The Clone Wars were stories centered around the clones.

I'm not gonna lie, I'll watch it, I hope that because my expectations are already low that I'll enjoy it much more. Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I'm not gonna watch it. I want more Luke Skywalker.

Yeah, it's early Empire. Luke is still a baby.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Not yet another other prequel based thing.

If you want to get technical, RO is a "prequel." If by "prequel" you mean the PT, it's not a PT based thing though. The Bad Batch is a spin-off of TCW, and TCW is hugely popular. TCW starkly contrasts the PT. And this new show will take place in the early Empire, which is drastically transformed from the Republic at the end of the last PT film. I suspect this show will have a lot more in common with the Rebels TV show than the PT.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, watching Clone Wars, I've gotten to s3e14, Witches of the Mist, where Savage Opress (sigh) debuts as Dooku's apprentice. It is simply fantastic.

Savage is a brute, but he quickly kills a Jedi and his Padawan. Through the episode, we see some great characterization, and contrast between Sith and Jedi. Obi-wan and Anakin joking about Anakin's foibles (from his violence to his popularity with women), contrasting against Dooku using force lightning on Savage for his failure to capture the Toydarian king. Asaj Ventress and Savage fighting first Dooku, then each other. Asaj and Savage getting in each other's way, fighting Dooku as much as each other... then Obi-Wan and Anakin arriving and working together against Savage.

Really an excellent episode.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see the standard Battle Droids onscreen, I think "This is what happens when you skimp on AI"
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1337175175909892097/video/1

A video about the upcoming Disney+ series, Bad Batch.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I have frequently yelled at Anakin Skywalker include

"You are telekinetic! You have redirected starships with your mind! You can lift two people!"
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then PT or OT spinoffs, essentially. Even if it takes place between trilogies.

I couldn't ultimately get into the CW shows because (in addition to the animation style), I feel like I'm watching evil people on all sides and can't root for anyone. My kids like it ok, but when it's on I just keep hoping against hope that Palpatine and Anakin will get eaten by monsters or something.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Every time I see the standard Battle Droids onscreen, I think "This is what happens when you skimp on AI"

Yep.

MrNexx wrote:
Things I have frequently yelled at Anakin Skywalker include

"You are telekinetic! You have redirected starships with your mind! You can lift two people!"

Lol, yep.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Then PT or OT spinoffs, essentially. Even if it takes place between trilogies.

OK, "spin-off" kinda, but not PT or OT so this still seems to disregard an important distinction. My point is that TCW was not really a PT-based thing. Only in timeline placement, but it is like a different universe. TCW is significantly contrary to the PT and OT, and this new show is a spin-off of TCW, so stating that this new show is a 'PT based thing' is really missing the mark. I doubt it will be any less removed from the live action films than the TCW is.

Anyway, I think what you really meant to convey was, Bad Batch is a non-Luke thing.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I couldn't ultimately get into the CW shows because (in addition to the animation style), I feel like I'm watching evil people on all sides and can't root for anyone. My kids like it ok, but when it's on I just keep hoping against hope that Palpatine and Anakin will get eaten by monsters or something.

You get it! I don't how many people I've heard say the Republic are the 'good guys' in the Clone Wars. I'm like, um, did you not see Revenge of the Sith which came out three years earlier than TCW? Both sides of the war were lead by one supremely evil being, and he has an entire army of clones that blindly follow his orders. The whole war was a sham, just to kill the Jedi and create the Empire. Anakin was only totally good in TPM. I had little sympathy for the Hayden Christiansen Anakin, and none for the TCW Anakin. I just wanna punch that knobby nose.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, the Republic is NOT the good guys in there. They're the protagonists, certainly, and they pay lip service to trying to be the good guys, but they're not the good guys. Most of the Jedi are unwilling to do anything, too intent on preserving the Republic at most any cost, while it's clear that the senators are easily swayed by demagoguery.

They contain some good guys... I'd argue Ahsoka is good, for example, and Padme tries... but I think it's pretty clear that pretty much everyone else is willing to do way too much to win. Anakin has no control, and is openly abusive to Padme (especially whenever he thinks she might have a relationship with anyone; I'm surprised he never had a snit fit about Bail Organa). The clones are soldiers, but by season 4 and 5, they're also developing an awareness of how much some people hate them (Pong Krell, for example), and that they're being used in a lot of way's they're not cool with (Fives figuring it out after Tup's biochip turns bad).

It is very much a war story, with a lot of darkness.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to decide which are worse: C-3PO centric episodes, or Jar-Jar centric episodes...
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PT is a tragedy. By RotS, most of the protagonists are either bad, failures, or both.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that TCW didn't totally get the themes of the PT. They definitely do riff off of the PT, but at the same time there are some stark differences, just because they could. I really think the alternate universe idea captures it. Lucas originally intended RotS to be his swan song. His live action TV series idea he wanted to produce dealing with the underworld of Coruscant in between the trilogies was a late-stage continuation, but that was moving away from the metaplot to the fringes. He couldn't get the effects technology advancements to reduce the costs fast enough, so then moved on to TV animation, and with that back into recent metaplot of the the Clone Wars to capitalize on all the recent years marketing of Clone Wars media and the success of the last two films. But it was a total creative reset for Lucas because the rules he had made for himself to see out the live action film saga no longer applied because the films were done. Thus Anakin's promotion was moved from the end of the clone wars to the beginning, his non-sensical padawan, the resurrection of Maul, etc.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
... the resurrection of Maul, etc.

My kids now say, "No one dies from falling in Star Wars."

I've been saying that I want to see a post-credits screen on RoS to a Corouscant hospital. The camera pans up to the coma ward, and past the chart of a John Doe. Then Samuel L. Jackson sits bolt upright, looks around, and says, "What'd I miss?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: