The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Enlistment time in the Imperial Starfigther coprs??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Enlistment time in the Imperial Starfigther coprs??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Enlistment time in the Imperial Starfigther coprs?? Reply with quote

I hhave began readinf Lost Stars, and so far a very good book, I recomnend it.

But I noticed a few things, and it may be related the new "revamping" if you will of much of the legends when it comes to continuity at least.

One of the things that really stuck out to me was that it was stated that normal time of enlistment, or rather minimum time of enlistment was "only " 5 years, though it was said that more or less everyone served longer by choice.

it also stuck out to me that according to book it was mentione the speicies diversity at the acadmy systems, and though not detailed, it appears to me that at least some near humans must have had more or less equal standing as humans.

But for this post I was wondering about the 5 year enlsitment time.......is there any place in legends we hear of this? and naturally this would be 5 years after gaduating acadmy, as in Twilight Company it is mentioned that the total span od stormtrooper traning was toughtly 3 years (again something that should make them extrmemly elite)

So have anyone lese any information about lenght of service and maybe some infomation other than the book describing the asylumon sochi for any form of retirement "system" for Ex Imperials?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stormtroopers are trained since being toddlers, so first-assignment 16 year-old troopers have about 13 years of training.

From what I could find out about the EU, pilot training seems to be 3-5 years.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My stormtroopers are trained since being toddlers, so first-assignment 16 year-old troopers have about 13 years of training.

From what I could find out about the EU, pilot training seems to be 3-5 years.

that is cool, much like the clones in such regrds.

I was more interested in the various f any lenghts of service, I found it odd that I had never heard of "ex imperials" that has simply finished there service and if you will discharged after , like the book said 5 years, and maybe other branches having other service lenghs.

Luke was planning to joing the academy before the events of A new hope changed his course, but perhaps if it was a thing already then that you did a stint, like compulsory service, 5 years, get a small pension, do your thing, maybbe freelace pilot, a merc, or what not.

Dowe have any known referances in legends or other scources of the actual lenght of servivce, not so much training, but service.

I am wondering about service time after the academy, as thisis how I understood it.

Maybbe the empire operated with 5 year terms, uptp battle yavin that is, since at least that is the timeline the 5 year service time was mentioned
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's cause imperial military troops Rarely live long enough, to retire..
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried, I misunderstood. Sorry. I'm not sure about the terms of service, but Biggs requested a commercial assignment so didn't even have to do military at all. Maybe that was allowed because it was contractor work for the Empire (like a freighter service with an Imperial contract). And then he jumped ship and joined the Rebellion.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Considering how accurate they are, how little of that is marksmanship training???
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Whill wrote:
Considering how accurate they are, how little of that is marksmanship training???

I don't have any way to quantify the relative training because I certainly have not devised any detailed stormtrooper training schedule or anything of the sort. I presume that that this is rhetorical question for the purpose of making a joke about the their meme-infamous lack of accuracy.

But just in case it isn't, see this post for some insights to my new stormtrooper stats. Growing up from toddler to 16 they aren't only learning the skill to shoot with blaster weapons. They are receiving their academic training (Knowledge 2D, etc.) and attribute training. My 16 year-old stormtroopers start with 3D in Dexterity, and other skills besides blaster. All that takes training time, while growing up and going to school.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the King's shilling, it's for life.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

"I kissed the Duchess, which means I'm a soldier."
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Course as harsh as a lifetime enlistment sounds today, it was the 18th century. Shoemaking, farming, or bookbinding were typically ALSO for life. Switching careers was pretty rare until relatively recently.

Since Star Wars is a fairy tale, I envision career switching to be equally as rare as it was in prior centuries on Earth.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Course as harsh as a lifetime enlistment sounds today, it was the 18th century. Shoemaking, farming, or bookbinding were typically ALSO for life. Switching careers was pretty rare until relatively recently.

Since Star Wars is a fairy tale, I envision career switching to be equally as rare as it was in prior centuries on Earth.

Well, to be fair, we do have at least a couple of examples of career switching in Star Wars. Luke Skywalker made quite a few career switches during the course of his lifetime: farmboy -> Rebel starfighter pilot -> Jedi Knight -> Jedi Master (well, that's not a career change per se so much as it is a self-given promotion) -> self-exiled hermit -> Force ghost.

What about Han Solo's career path? Scrumrat -> coaxium thief (minor) -> Imperial soldier -> combat deserter -> coaxium igniter/mountain obliterator/landscape redistributor -> bullsh!tter-of-Crimson Dawn-crimelords -> Kessel Run record breaker -> betrayed love interest -> smuggler/general cynical wiseass -> reluctant Rebel -> carbonite wall decoration -> Rebel general -> husband in a crappy marriage -> crappy parent -> smuggler-who-loses-his-own-ship -> crappy boss (remember, he used to have a bigger crew before he captured three rathtars) -> murder victim. That's quite a few career changes there. Razz
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot "Patricide Hallucination" in Han's list of jobs.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...Maybe that was allowed because it was contractor work for the Empire (like a freighter service with an Imperial contract)...

Heh, heh...contractors.

Death Star Contractors

All Stormtroopers know is killin' and white uniforms...heh Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: