The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

20 YEARS of RANCOR PIT FORUMS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> 20 YEARS of RANCOR PIT FORUMS Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: 20 YEARS of RANCOR PIT FORUMS Reply with quote

Esteemed denizens of the Rancor Pit, hello there!

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE RANCOR PIT

The Rancor Pit was created by Loc Taal. As far as I can gather, the original Rancor Pit website went live on November 12th, 1999. (Here is a snapshot of what it looked like on January 31st, 2001.) It was created to compile and share info about his WEG Star Wars RPG campaigns and general info about the game.

On June 17th 2003, the Rancor Pit Forums were created, and the first public post was posted soon after. The Rancor Pit Forums soon began to grow well beyond what Loc Taal had conceived. The Forums became a giant hub for Star Wars D6 discussion.

In 2012, Loc Taal officially instituted Forum Moderators. In 2016, the original Rancor Pit website became completely defunct. (It had stopped being updated a while before that.)

In 2017, Loc Taal transferred Rancor Pit ownership to one of the Moderators, yours truly. In 2018, I created the The Rancor Pit LIBRARY of Fan-Made Supplements.

20 years after their creation, the Rancor Pit Forums have quite literally become the world's leading independent discussion board devoted to Star Wars D6. The Rancor Pit Forums have nearly 200,000 posts in over 8,000 threads by over 2,000 registered users. The Rancor Pit domain as a whole averages over 23,000 visits per month by over 9,000 unique visitors per month (not including bots and worms). And there are no plans to stop!

This would not be possible without the members of the Rancor Pit community. Thank you!

LET'S CELEBRATE 20 YEARS!

Please post a reply in this thread about the Rancor Pit and its community. What is means to you, what you like about it, fun memories, etc.
No matter how long it has been since you have last posted, we want to hear from you! See this thread for help with recovering access. Please make sure your email address in your profile is up to date. How many other members can you get to post?

WIN PRIZES!

Hunt the Hunter Contest

A couple years ago, I quietly hid a certain clone bounty hunter somewhere in the Pit. Be the first to find him and win $20.00! Do NOT post guesses publicly. To claim your bounty, PM me the specific location of the quarry. I will reply to the PMs as to whether you are correct or not.

Four More Prizes

Just posting once in this thread by will enter you into multiple drawings for a prize. You are welcome to reply to others and post multiple times in the thread, but multiple posts in this thread do not increase your chances. No one can win more than one drawing, so winners will be removed from subsequent drawings so there more winners.
    (1) For the first drawing, members who posts in this thread will have at least one change in the drawing to win $20.00. For every 1,000 total posts the member has here, they will receive one additional chance in this drawing.

(2) For the second drawing, members who posts in this thread will have exactly one chance in the drawing to win $20.00. One chance per member (regardless of total post count the member has here).

(3) For the third drawing, members residing in the USA who post in this thread will have exactly one chance in the drawing to win Entertainment Weekly's The Ultimate Guide to Star Wars (2017) to be sent in the mail. One chance per member.

(4) For the fourth drawing, members residing in the USA who post in this thread will have exactly one chance in the drawing to win Newsweek's Celebrating the Conclusion of the Skywalker Saga (2019) to be sent in the mail. One chance per member.
The drawings will be closed July 1st, and winners will begin to be contacted so they can claim their prizes. $20.00 prize winners in the USA will be awarded Amazon gift card balances that will be emailed to the email address in the user's Rancor Pit profile, so please make sure email addresses are valid in your profile. (Current Rancor Pit staff members and their immediately family members may post in this thread but they are prohibited from winning prizes.)

To winners outside the USA, you will be awarded an emailed Amazon gift card valid in the country you live in, or other prize of similar value if that doesn't work out, such as a PayPal payment. The base prize value will be approximately $20.00 US, but please note that currency exchange fees may reduce the total end value of the prize.

An invalid email address that cannot receive a digital gift card or transaction may disqualify you from winning any prizes. Violations of forum guidelines anywhere on the board between now and the awarding of prizes may disqualify you.

Once winners have claimed their prizes, the winners will be announced here. May the Force be with you!

EDIT: Extended the deadline to post for the prize drawings. 'Hunter the Hunter' contest clues throughout the thread are colored red.
EDIT: The hidden hunter has been found!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, just wanted to stop in and say hi for the 20th anniversary! Thank you all for making this site great, it's awesome to see it still going strong after all these years!

The original RANCOR PIT archive
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rancor Pit has been my go-to for my Star Wars fix for a very, very long time. In one way or another, I’ve been roleplaying Star Wars ever since I got my first action figures as a child, but the structure of WEG rules really made it come alive in a way nothing else did. Thank you, Rancor Pit, for being a place where I can be in the company of like minds.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on 20 years. After the collapse of SWRPGNetwork, this has become my premier site for official d6 stats outside of WEG.

Perhaps to help celebrate the next big anniversary five years from now, we can add silver to the font color to help celebrate our silver anniversary at that time.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long live the rancor pit

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah! I can't believe it's been 20 years!

(I'm actually due to run a Star Wars D6 game in 2 hours, btw)
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks were the first ones to accept my writing, and I appreciate that greatly! Hoping for a long time of The Rancor Pit continuing!

Sorry I'm not around much any longer, things, stuff, bad thinkmeats. But I know this place will be a rock for me. Possible one with a slug inside of it.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised the Forum wasn't started until 03'. I loved the we b archive. I can't remember the first time I hit on Rancor Pit. Guessing it was so around 02' or 03'. IIRC I was very into D20 1st Ed. At the time. I had all the D20 books, but I missed my D6 adventures, and when I couldn't get anyone to play D6 with me I stalked the RO Forums. Congrats all.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loc Taal wrote:
Hello everyone, just wanted to stop in and say hi for the 20th anniversary! Thank you all for making this site great, it's awesome to see it still going strong after all these years!

Great to see you, Loc!

This place has been a trove of information and inspiration for me since before I became a member.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people on this forum are knowledgeable and very helpful!! I've enjoyed the discussions, help, and feedback!! Here's looking at another 20 years!!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And unlike some other sites, even WHEN we've had heated discussions, it (IMO) has not really exhorted to full on Flame wars!
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The culture of the Rancor Pit has been a real boon in the day and age of bad faith arguments.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 20th!

Right now I am not able to say much - maybe soon I might be able to return. The Rancor Pit has been a major resource for me in the past, and a great exchange of ideas for D6 and Star Wars. I hope it's legacy continues for many years to come. There have been some great projects and lofty creations to come from many a member of the Rancor Pit - some I even had the good fortune to either directly contribute to, or at least encourage and support in the process.

May the Force be With You All, Always
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: 20 YEARS of RANCOR PIT FORUMS Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
WIN PRIZES!

Hunt the Hunter Contest

A couple years ago, I quietly hid a certain clone bounty hunter somewhere in the Pit. Be the first to find him and win $20.00! Do NOT post guesses publicly. To claim your bounty, PM me the specific location of the quarry. I will reply to the PMs as to whether you are correct or not.

I have only received a few PMs with guesses this week, and they were all far off.

And this isn't 20 questions where you can ask general questions and narrow down where the quarry is. All guesses have to be specific guesses, but I may reply with hot-cold type of feedback...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 20 YEARS of RANCOR PIT FORUMS Reply with quote

I extended the deadline to post for the prize drawings to July 1st. I'm very thankful for everyone who has participated so far, but I suppose it was a pipe dream to envision a big reunion of current, recent past, and far past forum members in a single thread in a single week. Extending it a week won't make a big difference either.

I've sent out lots of PMs to people, and also contacted a few outside of the Pit if I have a connection with them another way. If someone is not interested in a prize, I hope they still participate by posting here because prizes can always be declined.

The 'Hunt the Hunter' contest was never given a deadline and I guess it doesn't need one. It can go on indefinitely until the hidden quarry is found. A couple people are on the right track but still far off, so the prize is still anyone's bounty. Check back often as I may post clues heres if I can think of any that won't give it away too easy. Let me just point out that there are a couple clues in the wording of the OP.

Loc Taal wrote:

Thanks for stopping by, Loc! We wouldn't be here without you. Thanks again for creating the Rancor Pit 20 years ago!

jmanski wrote:
Great to see you, Loc!

This place has been a trove of information and inspiration for me since before I became a member.

Indeed! Thank you.

CRMcNeill wrote:
The Rancor Pit has been my go-to for my Star Wars fix for a very, very long time. In one way or another, I’ve been roleplaying Star Wars ever since I got my first action figures as a child, but the structure of WEG rules really made it come alive in a way nothing else did. Thank you, Rancor Pit, for being a place where I can be in the company of like minds.

Well said! Thank you.

Forceally wrote:
Congrats on 20 years. After the collapse of SWRPGNetwork, this has become my premier site for official d6 stats outside of WEG.

Perhaps to help celebrate the next big anniversary five years from now, we can add silver to the font color to help celebrate our silver anniversary at that time.

Always in motion is the future, so see we will. Thank you.

thedemonapostle wrote:
long live the rancor pit

Cheers! Thank you.

hisham wrote:
Huzzah! I can't believe it's been 20 years!

(I'm actually due to run a Star Wars D6 game in 2 hours, btw)

Huzzah! Cool! Thank you.

Ray wrote:
You folks were the first ones to accept my writing, and I appreciate that greatly! Hoping for a long time of The Rancor Pit continuing!

Sorry I'm not around much any longer, things, stuff, bad thinkmeats. But I know this place will be a rock for me. Possible one with a slug inside of it.

Of course! Thank you.

klhaviation wrote:
I was surprised the Forum wasn't started until 03'. I loved the we b archive. I can't remember the first time I hit on Rancor Pit. Guessing it was so around 02' or 03'. IIRC I was very into D20 1st Ed. At the time. I had all the D20 books, but I missed my D6 adventures, and when I couldn't get anyone to play D6 with me I stalked the RP Forums. Congrats all.

I have a lot of WotC and FFG Star Wars books, but have hardly ever used them. I agree that nothing tops D6 for Star Wars. Thank you.

ThrorII wrote:
The people on this forum are knowledgeable and very helpful!! I've enjoyed the discussions, help, and feedback!! Here's looking at another 20 years!!

Agreed! Thank you.

garhkal wrote:
And unlike some other sites, even WHEN we've had heated discussions, it (IMO) has not really exhorted to full on Flame wars!

I take this as a compliment! It is sad this comparison even exists, but yes, it is always the goal to prevent full on flame wars. Thank you.

Esoomian wrote:
The culture of the Rancor Pit has been a real boon in the day and age of bad faith arguments.

Yes, internet trolls are an unfortunate reality everywhere on the internet. It is extremely sad that many people enjoy arguing so much on the internet that they may not even really mean what they say. Maintaining the culture of the Rancor Pit is an ongoing mission. Thank you.

KageRyu wrote:
Happy 20th!

Right now I am not able to say much - maybe soon I might be able to return. The Rancor Pit has been a major resource for me in the past, and a great exchange of ideas for D6 and Star Wars. I hope it's legacy continues for many years to come. There have been some great projects and lofty creations to come from many a member of the Rancor Pit - some I even had the good fortune to either directly contribute to, or at least encourage and support in the process.

May the Force be With You All, Always

Thank you for everything. May the Force be with you, and us all, always!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: